Getting left in port

geckoaz

I doubt any husband would just stay on board and wonder where she was, especially when the kids would not be left alone if he got off. It seems he was quite methodical getting his paperwork together just in case. The puzzling part is where would one start looking ?

Maybe he knew she was at a certain place place, jewelry shop etc..

I wouldn't want to be married to anyone who would leave me in a foreign port. Now had they not had family or friends onboard to take care of the kids, I could see the decision becoming much more complicated.

Given the circumstances this was a no brainer. He did exactly as he should have. Now should he be pissed at his dumb wife... absolutely!

If the kids, who were not young, were to be left alone then I agree. In this case, other family members were on board.

Is your wife so self sufficient that you'd sail off without her?

Number one, she is. She is well capable of handling it on her own. She is a retired female CEO and has traveled Internationally on her own. I feel as an adult, that they should be able to handle the situation when the ship sails away without them.

However, the kids are not so self sufficient. They would be my number one priority, and although the Uncle is available, it's not his responsibility to baby sit them.

I am also under the assumption that all females are equal to men, and are just as capable of handling the situation. In this case the husband had to go save the wife, when the wife should be able to handle her mistake by herself. After all, she was able to get off the ship herself, and explore a foreign country on her own.

So yes, I would leave my wife, and tend to my kids and when she makes her flight arrangements, I would go pick her up.

The full story is that the ship was fully aware of the situation. They knew that the family was sailing with an uncle and cousins. The ship made the decision that the husband would get off with the wife's papers and stuff for overnight if they didn't make it back. They also helped arrange a hotel room and flights back to NY. EM

I have left my child on the ship in kids club two times before and no incidents. Once was on Carnival and once on Disney. Both times were cruise line sponsored excursions. Both times we made sure the excursion was due back well before sailing. The most recent time, which was on Disney, we were in San Juan, it was our 10th anniversary and the day before my birthday (which was a milestone birthday). I really wanted to go on an ATV excursion, but DD is many years away from being old enough for that. And when she is, I don't know if I will want to do it. The excursion returned back to the port area before noon and we were not scheduled to leave until closer to 4. We walked around the port area for about an hour or so, within sight of the ship, looking for a few souveniers and such. And then back on the ship and had lunch with DD. She was very well cared for and it was really a once in a life time experience for me. I don't regret it. That said, I would never ever leave my DD on the ship without being on a ship excursion and one that would return long before the day was over. I would never do something like ruins or one of those things that is ALL DAY without taking my daughter.

I remember on one cruise I took, we were sailing out of Key West, heading back to Tampa and not only did the Pilot boat bring 2 people who missed the ship, but 4 other people had hired a boat to take them out to our ship after the Pilot boat! This was in the mid 90's, so I'm sure there are different rules now, since 911.

Extremely poor behavior by wife. To take shopping over your family is just plain stupid. Maybe Child Welfare should have been waiting for the parents in New York

Please explain why? They were with other family members on the ship. She didn't neglect them in any way.

Poor judgement perhaps, but to think that Child Welfare should have been waiting for her at the airport is a HUGE stretch. :rolleyes:

Not that rare- we have seen at least one late pier-runner miss the ship on almost every cruise we have taken.

I have never seen a pier runner and this case is rare. If passengers were left in port everyday, the cruises lines would be out of business.

Walker Law would make sure of that! http://www.cruiselawnews.com/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3561131/Dramatic-moment-distraught-mum-dropped-knees-sobbed-cruise-ship-Nassau-sailed-away-children-board-arrived-late-port.html

So how do you all know she was browsing in shops paying no attention to the time? Funny how there can be no other circumstances that led to her being so late.

For my part, it was said tongue in cheek. I have no idea what the reason was for her missing the ship (by a substantial amount of time I might add). It really does not make a difference as to what the reason was, in the end getting to the ship on time is her responsibility (her job you might say) and she failed , pure and simple. Does not make her a terrible person, people make mistakes, it happens.

Lucky, this is not true. A passenger missing the ship is rare.

I have bben on 19 cruises and I have seen people miss the ship on at least 6 of those cruises. Mostly it was in Cozumel. Once I remember in Nassau. Once in St Maarten. So it does happen quite often.

My husband and I have left our young children in Camp Carnival to explore a port. However, we only walk around locally and we come back with HOURS to spare. I would never chance that. She is an idiot and I feel bad for NCL and the bad publicity. 99% of the negative things in the news are not the fault of the cruise line companies. It's a pet peeve of mine. "Falling off cruiseships".....I always have to defend that one too.

I have been reading this forum for 4 years and never had read a first hand account of someone left in a port. I think of a lot of folks were being left in port at least one would come on here and rant and rave. People complain about everything else.

Poor judgement by the husband? Who leaves their wife in a foreign country? If the kids have suitable family to take care of them it seems to me like the husband made the best decision he could to take care of his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with this. Even though my wife is an experienced traveler on her own I could not live with myself if I left her and something happened.

I wish more ships would leave people. I get tired of watching peaople taking their time coming back to the ship when they are already 30 min late to get onboard, if the ship left people and left ON TIME, you would see this happen less, but now everyone knows that ship will wait an extra 30 min or so.

I've never understood why people are so concerned when the ship is late departing a port. I can't remember a cruise when the ship left on time at the beginning of the cruise so why all the heartburn when the vessel is late leaving one of the ports they visit?

Should people be late boarding? No! If they are they can be expected to pay any fees the ship is liable for leaving late (if any). This captain was nice enough to wait 30 extra minutes.

I agree with this. Even though my wife is an experienced traveler on her own I could not live with myself if I left her and something happened.

I agree. At first I thought the husband made a bad decision but then I thought about it more. We don't have kids but we have two nieces. We would def be willing and able to take care of our nieces so my brother-in-law could go take care of his wife.

And this is why we'd never split up our family on an excursion. And why we are always back 30-45 early. I just don't understand how people can be that stupid.

Would things be better if an entire family missed the ship? In this case, obviously Hubby and NCL did not think so.

With respect to the topic in general, I can think of many bad circumstances that could cause someone to miss the ship, the fewer members of my family stuck in that situation the better.

My best example is something that happened on our first cruise, long before our kiddos graced this earth: We were on a 18 ft Catamaran in the bay of Matazlan and it flipped about 2 hrs before sailing. An hour later, we're still sitting on the upside down boat when a passing power boat helped us right it. Got back to shore about 20 mins later. But the boat owner won't let us leave because the sail is damaged and I don't have enough cash to pay. 20 mins later he accepts what cash we have, but then there's the matter of paying for the 10 minute cab ride. We hopped in one anyway and were lucky enough to run into a couple of ship mates at the dock who loaned us the money to pay the cab, 5 mins before last call. They pulled the gangway in behind us and the ship sailed on time.

Anyway, if this scenario had happened 10 years later, I would much rather have had my kids at Camp Carnival than with us.

I've never understood why people are so concerned when the ship is late departing a port. I can't remember a cruise when the ship left on time at the beginning of the cruise so why all the heartburn when the vessel is late leaving one of the ports they visit?

Should people be late boarding? No! If they are they can be expected to pay any fees the ship is liable for leaving late (if any). This captain was nice enough to wait 30 extra minutes.

Because it can be expensive for the cruise line. If the have to tun the ship faster to get to the next port on time it can cost thousands in extra fuel.

If they did try to collect any extra costs from a late boarding pax, good luck on that.

Because it can be expensive for the cruise line. If the have to tun the ship faster to get to the next port on time it can cost thousands in extra fuel.

If they did try to collect any extra costs from a late boarding pax, good luck on that.

Math isn't my strong suit but how much do you think it would cost in extra fuel to make up 30 minutes?:cool: