Getting left in port

geckoaz

I personally wouldn't take kids on a cruise. I'd send them to camp or their grandparents!

If you had no choice, then take them to the beach for the day and return to the ship 2 hours early, while in port. No problem!

Math isn't my strong suit but how much do you think it would cost in extra fuel to make up 30 minutes?:cool:

We turned around to get closer to Hawaii for a medical evacuation on RCI several years ago. We went flat out for the next four days to try to make up time lost -- the captain said the cost of the extra speed in fuel alone was over $250,000.

Maybe it would have only cost the cruise line a few hundred dollars, or maybe couple of thousand. :rolleyes:

So how do you all know she was browsing in shops paying no attention to the time? Funny how there can be no other circumstances that led to her being so late.

Why does it matter? Late is late. She screwed up. Period.

We turned around to get closer to Hawaii for a medical evacuation on RCI several years ago. We went flat out for the next four days to try to make up time lost -- the captain said the cost of the extra speed in fuel alone was over $250,000.

Maybe it would have only cost the cruise line a few hundred dollars, or maybe couple of thousand. :rolleyes:

We're talking about the ship delaying sailing by 30 minutes not a major diversion for a medical emergency. If the ship charges a per minute delay cost to the passenger's onboard account (up to 30 minutes and then the ship sails) that may encourage these clowns to make it back on time.

We're talking about the ship delaying sailing by 30 minutes not a major diversion for a medical emergency. If the ship charges a per minute delay cost to the passenger's onboard account (up to 30 minutes and then the ship sails) that may encourage these clowns to make it back on time.

My point was, it takes money to have the ship move faster than planned -- if they leave later and need to cruise at a higher speed to make up time, that cost may not be inconsequential as an earlier poster had asked.

If they were to build-in an extra half hour to the schedule for the irresponsible people, they would just shorten the port visit by that amount of time. That would punish the 99.99%

My point was, it takes money to have the ship move faster than planned -- if they leave later and need to cruise at a higher speed to make up time, that cost may not be inconsequential as an earlier poster had asked.

If they were to build-in an extra half hour to the schedule for the irresponsible people, they would just shorten the port visit by that amount of time. That would punish the 99.99%

We have been on 35 cruises and have seen many pier runners. There are always reasons for it, but it really does not make a difference. They cost the cruise lines money, without a doubt. Captains and senior staff have to balance all of this when waiting for the pier runners (which frequently have an attitude btw). Sad

In all of my years of cruising, I've been late to the ship twice, and both times it was due to my irresponsibility back in my younger single years. My friends Carlos and Charlie were involved both times [emoji6] Thankfully the ship was waiting for us both times. But if I'd been left behind, I would've deserved all the consequences and most likely would've learned a very valuable lesson.

With that said, I don't believe in charging people a per minute amount for being late. I don't believe in having the ship wait for stragglers either. The ONLY two exceptions that I'd make would be if someone is on a late running ship sponsored excursion, or if someone contacts the cruise line and let's them know that they are running late due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies (the local contact number is usually listed on the Fun Times). Otherwise I think that the ship should sail right on time.

Edited by Tapi

In all of my years of cruising, I've been late to the ship twice, and both times it was due to my irresponsibility back in my younger single years. My friends Carlos and Charlie were involved both times [emoji6] Thankfully the ship was waiting for us both times. But if I'd been left behind, I would've deserved all the consequences and most likely would've learned a very valuable lesson.

With that said, I don't believe in charging people a per minute amount for being late. I don't believe in having the ship wait for stragglers either. The ONLY two exceptions that I'd make would be if someone is on a late running ship sponsored excursion, or if someone contacts the cruise line and let's them know that they are running late due to unforeseen circumstances or emergencies (the local contact number is usually listed on the Fun Times). Otherwise I think that the ship should sail right on time.

Cannot argue with what you say....Carlos and Charlies....really? I am so disappointed in you.:(

In all of my years of cruising, I've been late to the ship twice, and both times it was due to my irresponsibility back in my younger single years.

had they left you the first time, there likely would not have been a second time ;)

Carlos and Charlies....really? I am so disappointed in you.:(

Hey, cut me some slack, everybody is young and stupid at one point in time (or two). [emoji6]

Hey, cut me some slack, everybody is young and stupid at one point in time (or two). [emoji6]

Been there and done that also. I actually got shut off on a booze cruise once. The wife was not exactly overjoyed.

Upon reflection (a reminder by my wife), I have left my kids on board. Our first cruise (26 years ago) on the Big Red Boat. The disney boat would basically park in the bahamas and become a floating hotel. We went to a show one night and the children were watched by babysitters. Of course the boat did not leave until the next day. We were glad we did not take the children because it was adult in nature in between the disappearing tigers and singers. Others did bring their kids and I guess they got an education. The only worry I had was the taxi drive. I feared for our lives. But in the situation where the ship would not leave for another day and the hosted babysitting, i think it was ok to leave the kids. Nowadays, if they left the ship (29 and 31), I would strap GPS on them and worry they got back onboard.