Are DVD players still in suites

KevinsCruising

Yes, regular, not blu ray.

Have you been on the Gem since the dry dock this past fall? I'm just checking because we were in an aft Penthouse suite on the Gem in February, and the DVD players (in those suites at least) had been removed because they do not work with the new TVs that were installed during the dry dock. I can't speak to the suite the OP is asking about, so I did want to check your time frame.

BTW, NCL left a hole in the desk where the DVD player used to be. It looks as though a drawer has fallen out. Truly tacky. (Of course, so is the old, worn, dated furniture.)

Table%20and%20chairs%20in%20suite%201024x515_zps3irgnu4s.jpg

I'm not sure if the GEM post dry-dock had the newest HDTV monitor with the locked down ports in the staterooms, including suites - as otherwise, if it's like the Breakaway with the "usable" HDMI port#1 for interactive TV signal - I would simply setup (like last year) our own (Chrome)cast signal with the "stick" & play preloaded MP4 videos from the portable HDD or USB drive. Or, with a direct HDMI connection to the netbook/notebook PC or even iPad's with the connector (we've stopped carrying DVD's for years now & all of our software/apps installation are direct downloads on the home PC's & laptops)

For those tech savvy, bring along a travel nano router with built-in WiFi hotspot standalone functions (no need for internet access, just one's own inTRAnet signal to rebroadcast & stream) and a Chromecast by Google or Amazon Fire Stick, or equivalent - connect & playback/stream. A nice portable bluetooth speaker for enhance sound (JBL or Bose, etc.)

We're pleasantly surprised lately - that with some of our regular land-based resort hotels - the newer TV systems have a USB/HDMI port for simple plug-n-play, no messing around with changing input sources, swapping cables or adjusting settings ... of course, with NCL - not to be shocked if a daily convenience fee is applicable, not really different than PPV movies from their collections.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of these in every stateroom on the ship (Novotel Hotel @ Seoul, So. Korea - 2015 >>> super cool) :cool: Plus, it has a multi-function high output mobile/tablet charger with several popular adapters (USB 3.1-C fast charging standard was just too new then) - as these would meant no extension cord/surge protection issues to avoid or deal with when passengers bring their own. Perhaps, someday - we can leave more gadgets at home.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Travel%20Gadgets/IMG150916_2251.jpg

The NCL STAR pre DD had stand alone DVD players - after the DD maybe

someone can answer what the arrangement is now suite 12012.

The NCL DAWN has not gone DD yet but the big wide flat screen TV had a

slot on the back upper right had the DVD internally in the TV - Problem

could not play my own DVDs maybe something to do Region specific DVD

players also my cabin mate could not play his thumbdrive movies USB

connection suite 12030. My butler could not come up with a fix but did

offer any of the movies from ships library and those did work.

Since some NCL ships go all over the world it would be thoughtful for NCL to

provide a TV or DVD player that plays in all regions !

As for the Blue-Ray DVDs they should play backward compatible in Non Blue-Ray mode.

It is that blasted region coding that screws things up !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Just an FYI: suite and Haven passengers can now watch any of the Pay-Per-View movies for free and the choices were pretty decent.

Tracy

The POA had the new tvs after the drydock and the selection was pretty good. They had roughly 50 selections and you cold watch one and pause and come back later. They show on your account as a $0 charge for the main account person.

They also showed a couple of those movies on the free channels at times (rotating) like Spectre.

Hi ,

We are cruising this Saturday on the Gem in the 2 bedroom suite (SC). Do they still have DVD players in the cabin? And if so are they regular DVD or Blu Ray ??

Thanks

We were in a SC feb 1. No DVD player any more. As was posted you get free movies. Others in regular cabins pay $9.95 per film. Enjoy. We loved the SC.