Welcome Reception (Reposted Correctly) ;)

My apologies....My previous post was deleted because I accidentally mentioned the name of a travel agent. So I will rephrase my question.

My travel agent told me that I would receive some additional perks with my booking at a Private Welcome Reception onboard. Does anyone know when and where this welcome reception might take place? I would like to reserve specialty dining and entertainment when it becomes available and don't want it to conflict with the reception. I've called my travel agent and she didn't seem to know all the details, but that info will be in the cabin.

You all have been very helpful & knowledgeable with all my other questions. Hopefully, someone has had experience with this situation. Thank you!

Edited by dmlee1990

My apologies....My previous post was deleted because I accidentally mentioned the name of a travel agent. So I will rephrase my question.

My travel agent told me that I would receive some additional perks with my booking at a Private Welcome Reception onboard. Does anyone know when and where this welcome reception might take place? I would like to reserve specialty dining and entertainment when it becomes available and don't want it to conflict with the reception. I've called my travel agent and she didn't seem to know all the details, but that info will be in the cabin.

You all have been very helpful & knowledgeable with all my other questions. Hopefully, someone has had experience with this situation. Thank you!

I've never heard of a private welcome aboard reception. But then again, I've only booked a Grand Suite once on Jewel 4 years ago and there was only a Suite guest cocktail party held one night on a sea day (day 5 I believe). What ship and what cabin category did you book?

If you book thru a travel agent they ARE supposed to have the answers. Does not seem very competent. And shouldn't your agent be sending you something in writing - in case something doesn't show up in your stateroom. I would find a new travel agent.

I'm sure I booked thru the same TA, and am getting the same welcome aboard reception, and I am on The Liberty in September. I don't know about the rest of your perks, but I am being promised 2 rice crispie treats also, along with a few other things.

I also booked through that TA. Last December on Adventure the welcome reception was not provided. I didn't ask about the welcome reception for my upcoming sailing. My voucher for a free flow rider session will be placed in my cabin as well as the speciality restaurant vouchers. I have no doubt about their professionalism as I have used them for years. The welcome reception is probably a new perk.

If you book thru a travel agent they ARE supposed to have the answers. Does not seem very competent. And shouldn't your agent be sending you something in writing - in case something doesn't show up in your stateroom. I would find a new travel agent.

I have documentation of all the perks that I will be receiving on my confirmation, just not the exact time and place of the reception. This is a large travel firm and I may have talked with a new rep, not sure. I thought someone here may have attended a similar reception and could provide me with this information. We have always had great service from this travel company.

I also booked through that TA. Last December on Adventure the welcome reception was not provided. I didn't ask about the welcome reception for my upcoming sailing. My voucher for a free flow rider session will be placed in my cabin as well as the speciality restaurant vouchers. I have no doubt about their professionalism as I have used them for years. The welcome reception is probably a new perk.

Thank you, TeeChi. Perhaps, the TA believes that RCI will be providing a reception, but RCI is not following thru. They just put the vouchers in the cabin instead? I too have used this TA for years. Great deals on all vacation packages with extras. They never disappoint us.

I have documentation of all the perks that I will be receiving on my confirmation, just not the exact time and place of the reception. This is a large travel firm and I may have talked with a new rep, not sure. I thought someone here may have attended a similar reception and could provide me with this information. We have always had great service from this travel company.

When I've used them in the past a paper with the perks was in the cabin. In December my free bottle of wine as waiting in my cabin. I think the welcome reception is a new thing and I'm guessing it's light appetizers and maybe drinks. Give them a call and if needed ask for a supervisor. When I called last night a gentleman told me how my free flow rider session will work.

Edited by TeeChi

When I've used them in the past a paper with the perks was in the cabin. In December my free bottle of wine as waiting in my cabin. I think the welcome reception is a new thing and I'm guessing it's light appetizers and maybe drinks. Give them a call and if needed ask for a supervisor. When I called last night a gentleman told me how my free flow rider session will work.

Perfect! Thank you!

I would like somebody that is cruising before me (September 25) to see if you can get credit for the soda package if you upgrade to a Premium Drink package. I know it won't be much of a credit, but maybe some??

Thanks

I would like somebody that is cruising before me (September 25) to see if you can get credit for the soda package if you upgrade to a Premium Drink package. I know it won't be much of a credit, but maybe some??

Thanks

That's not a problem. Just pay the difference between packages.

to be honest, doesn't bode well for me if your TA "doesn't know"?....:eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if these private Welcome Receptions are hosted/coordinated by your travel agency, they should surely give you more information! Maybe your agent could contact a recent previous customer for information.

Royal Caribbean used to have a Welcome Aboard party and also a Welcome Back party for those with one or more previous RC cruises. They were not private as they were open to all. They had champagne and fruit punch, and sometimes nibbles at these. The Welcome Back party is evolving into a Top Tier reception and something else for other levels I think.

The Welcome Aboard party has evolved into the Captain's Reception in recent years. Everyone aboard is invited, so it's not private by any means. It's usually from 7:00-8:00pm or 7:30-8:30pm on the first formal night, and the Captain is available to pose for photos with you. There is free champagne and fruit punch, but usually no hors d'oeuvres. There is live music and sometimes dancing, depending on where the event is held. On Liberty in May it was in the Royal Promenade. On Jewel last Sept it was held in the Safari Club, so the location of this event will vary according to the ship, but generally will be in a large public area.

So those are the events that I know about! You'll find info (time/place) in your daily Cruise Compass about the Captain's Reception on formal night. Depending on your C&A level, you'll get an invitation in your cabin to one of the Welcome Back events. Anything else would have to come from your TA about their private event - hope you can get the info you need!

Judy

Another possibility has occurred to me! Maybe the Welcome Reception for clients of your travel agency is similar to the Meet and Mingle party that Royal Cribbean does for Cruise Critic members????? In the M&M case, the members register here on CC for the Meet & Mingle, and if more than 25 are registered, Royal Caribbean hosts a little party for the group. Each passenger registered receives an invitation in their cabin with the date/time/place information. (We used to be able to find the party info posted online a week or two ahead of time, but most recently info is not available until we get the invite in the cabin.) For the Cruise Critic party, if the 25 person minimum isn't met, the party doesn't happen.

That type of gathering would be private since only those invited with invites in the cabin would know about it. The list would have to be developed by your travel agency instead of Cruise Critic, but the party might be similar. The Cruise Critic M&Ms are usually held on the first sea day in the morning (starting anywhere from 9:30am to 11:00am and lasting about 45 min) in a lounge on the ship. They are coordinated and hosted by a member of the Cruise Director's staff. There are refreshments - usually coffee, juice, cookies, and pastries - and drawings are held for prizes. Everyone attending receives a sea pass lanyard and the other prizes for the drawings range from small stuff like keychains and ball caps, to a bottle of wine. (My husband won a small RC backpack at the one we attended on Liberty last month - woo hoo!:p)

So maybe the reception that's been mentioned by your TA is something like the Meet and Mingle party. If so, it will probably be a morning event and would not interfere with dinner/show reservations. Anyway...more info on this type of function would have to come from your TA.

Judy

When I asked the "Warehouse-that-shall-not-be-named" :D rep, they told me it was just part of a standard RCI sailaway meet and greet...nothing exclusive to "WTSNBN" guests, but something that we should get an invite to in the room? I am not that stoked over a glass of champagne that I am going to go track this down, but it should be interesting to see. If anyone is going soon with "A private welcome reception" as part of their package, I do hope they'll come back and share!

Texasopa, I will be on the 9/25 cruise also, and when I asked my agent about the perks she said they were included because we were in a group booking.

Will try to get more info on the reception when I make my final payment. Are you on the rollcall?

Here is my guess on this....

I am guessing those of you booked thru this TA on this sailing and being promised a private reception - one of the gap amenities for a GROUP booking could be a private reception. The problem with it is the TA will not be notified when and where the receiption will be held until very close to sail date. That is why the TA - doesn't know at this point. It is coordinated by the group desk.

Here is my guess on this....

I am guessing those of you booked thru this TA on this sailing and being promised a private reception - one of the gap amenities for a GROUP booking could be a private reception. The problem with it is the TA will not be notified when and where the receiption will be held until very close to sail date. That is why the TA - doesn't know at this point. It is coordinated by the group desk.

I think you are right...I know the agent I spoke with mentioned we were booked under a group rate. (They had purchased a block of rooms.). If it works out that would be great...but either way I got a great rate for the cruise and I am happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto. Our agent confirmed that they would reserve a space for the event with snacks provided and we would be notified of the time by a letter in our rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

with a bunch of random Big Box customers (most of whom probably won't show up anyway).

Wouldn't you think that most folks who book with a big box store may want to get all the perks possible and show up?