?s RE: Princess' CRAB SHACK

mlbcruiser

We haven't sailed on a Princess ship in several years, and I have a few questions about what is called "Crab Shack".

Is it affiliated with any chain restaurants on land?

From what I gleaned from a different, recent post, there isn't special restaurant for these but they are set up within the buffet area. Correct?

Do they have these on all Princess ships? (Coral, especially?)

I assume Crab Shack is only a dinner option? Ever a lunch option?

Must one make reservations very far in advance?

Thanks for any info!

Edited by mlbcruiser

We haven't sailed on a Princess ship in several years, and I have a few questions about what is called "Crab Shack".

From what I gleaned from a different, recent post, there isn't special restaurant for these but they are set up within the buffet area. Correct?

Thanks for any info!

I believe not affiliated (that's what I was told anyway).

Correct.

Not all ships, (can't say about Coral)

Dinner only.

How far in advance you need to book can vary.

I was on the Ruby....

• it was not busy the 2nd night. I made reservations when it opened first thing 8am in the morning.
  • The Alaskan crab was great..... I went back the second night for the crawfish.... the Alaskan crab was better.

Thanks for any info!

You will have the Crab Shack on the Coral, but it may not be every night. They will post it in the Patter and also many times there will be a poster as you enter the buffet. They do have a separate portion of the buffet that is used for the Crab Shack, so it is still like its own restaurant.

It's always a dinner option, not lunch.

We have eaten there a couple of times, and we had no problem getting reservations. Enjoyed the food, similar to a Crab Pot or a Joe's Crab Shack on land but no affiliation.

One recommendation, get the chowder. I normally get New England but they serve a wonderful Manhattan style chowder that I really enjoyed.

Doug

no

See Below

It appears that on the Coral they have offered it for lunch on sea days and it is set up in the Bayou Cafe, not the buffet area. Look here:

and here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053637

There will probably be a table set up at the Bayou Cafe on boarding day. Suggest you make reservations then.

Thanks for any info!

See above

There is usually a small desk by the buffet area where you can make the reservation. If none yet, you can ask any wait staff who can take your reservation.

On Regal, after embarkation, we inquired at Passenger Services about the dates it would be offered. After waiting quite some time, they were unable to tell us. Turned out to be both formal nights. It was listed in the Patter. We made reservations the morning we wanted to try it.

We will be on the crown in June. Is this an option on formal nights? I was planning to spend formal nights in the crown and sabitinis but I think this might be a better option because Italian is not my favorite.

We will be on the crown in June. Is this an option on formal nights? I was planning to spend formal nights in the crown and sabitinis but I think this might be a better option because Italian is not my favorite.

Don't count on it. Will it be offered, yes. When, who knows? It may be offered on formal night and, just as likely, not.

Don't count on it. Will it be offered, yes. When, who knows? It may be offered on formal night and, just as likely, not.

Ok thanks. We will play it by ear.

On our recently completed 7 day CA Coastal cruise on the Crown the Crab Shack was available on Tuesday & Wednesday nights and neither were formal nights which were Sunday at sea & Thursday sailing from SD.

Your June cruise is probably in Alaska so it could be different but there's a good reason why they give passengers a big apron to wear. It can be messy particularly for those of us who are novice shell crackers and it's not good when formally dressed. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer