Liberty of the Seas - just got busted for a power strip!

We are now on board and out at sea as I type this.

One of our bags failed to show up - at 7:30 we inquired and told it was in "security." Turns out it was the four unit power strip. We were down on deck 1 with the other scofflaws who had smuggled on irons, steamers and a bottle of Scope mouthwash.

Learned something today 😜

Otherwise, it was a very good day. Check in was a breeze. We were sitting down to lunch before noon.

One of our bags failed to show up - at 7:30 we inquired and told it was in "security." Turns out it was the four unit power strip. We were down on deck 1 with the other scofflaws who had smuggled on irons, steamers and a bottle of Scope mouthwash.

Otherwise, it was a very good day. Check in was a breeze. We were sitting down to lunch before noon.

Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

Learned something today

What kind of power strip is it? Is it one that has the extra outlets so you can plug more devices into it? Why would that be banned item? There's never enough plugs in the rooms.

I have a question. We are in a balcony room on deck 7. (superior oceanview with balcony). Are there any outlets near the beds? I use my phone as my alarm clock, so I want it near the bed.

Can you update us on the beds...hard as concrete like others have posted???We will be on Liberty in a few months. Thanks!

Can you update us on the beds...hard as concrete like others have posted???We will be on Liberty in a few months. Thanks!

About 7" thick set on wide metal rails system. Very soft til you hit bottom but then I'm 6'3" at 285. Spouse says comfy.

Edited by SATexasPilot

Just off of the adventure on Saturday told the wife she couldn't bring her travel iron, she insisted it would be fine. Of course I was the one who had to go to the naughty room to get the bag after they saw the iron on x-ray. Thanks honey. Lol. No biggie got it back after.

What kind of power strip is it? Is it one that has the extra outlets so you can plug more devices into it? Why would that be banned item? There's never enough plugs in the rooms.

Because electrical systems on the ship are different than most on shore, and a power strip designed for normal use on shore can be a hazard on the ship. Not all power strips will be a problem, but it's easier to manage a "no power strip" policy than try to inspect each one that someone brings on to see if it's safe or not. There have been some recent discussions here on the topic and exactly what the potential hazard is.

Edited by Paul65

I have a question. We are in a balcony room on deck 7. (superior oceanview with balcony). Are there any outlets near the beds? I use my phone as my alarm clock' date=' so I want it near the bed.[/quote']

Haven't sailed on the Liberty for a while, but on the RC ships that I have recently sailed, the stateroom phone on the nightstand had an alarm feature. Cell phones adjust to their location, which might not be ship's time. Much easier to bring a small battery operated clock. I even take mine out on the balcony in case I fall asleep out there!

Have not seen a convenient near the bed outlet.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Haven't sailed on the Liberty for a while, but on the RC ships that I have recently sailed, the stateroom phone on the nightstand had an alarm feature. Cell phones adjust to their location, which might not be ship's time. Much easier to bring a small battery operated clock. I even take mine out on the balcony in case I fall asleep out there!

Have not seen a convenient near the bed outlet.

Cell phones only adjust time to location if you let them; only takes a moment to turn that feature off.

I've seen recent video of a balcony cabin on Anthem with an outlet beside the bed. Convenient for those with a CPAP.

I have a question. We are in a balcony room on deck 7. (superior oceanview with balcony). Are there any outlets near the beds? I use my phone as my alarm clock' date=' so I want it near the bed.[/quote']

Can you possibly give us an update on the internet there? Supposedly VOOM is now available and a lot of us would like to know if this is true.

Here's a tip for when you disembark...

Be sure to pick up the power strip. Happened to my SIL on the Serenade a few months ago.

She was not going to bother to retrieve it as we were doing early walk off, did not want to spend the time and hassle, and she had lost the receipt anyway .

When we were swiped off - Holy Cow, what a racket the machine made- loudest horn I have ever heard.

As a sometimes rule breaker, I wondered What The %%%% did I do now?

She was behind me in line, turns out her card was flagged for the power strip. The security guy had a table set up right there, so it was EZ for her to retrieve but there was quite a collection of them.

Her last cruise was on Princess, and they evidently still allow them, so it was an honest mistake.

Some friends of ours just told us about a customer of hers this weekend. It is not known for sure yet but it is suspected the power strip they were using for both of their c pap machines could have been the cause. I will be interested to hear if it is true. http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-cruise-ship-on-the-amazon-river-claims-two-lives-109305

On the naughty table for pickup at the end of the cruise last week there was a brick. First of all why would you pack a brick? Second, and you filled out a form to get it back? Would love to know the story behind that one.

Here's a tip for when you disembark...

Be sure to pick up the power strip. Happened to my SIL on the Serenade a few months ago.

She was not going to bother to retrieve it as we were doing early walk off, did not want to spend the time and hassle, and she had lost the receipt anyway .

When we were swiped off - Holy Cow, what a racket the machine made- loudest horn I have ever heard.

As a sometimes rule breaker, I wondered What The %%%% did I do now?

She was behind me in line, turns out her card was flagged for the power strip. The security guy had a table set up right there, so it was EZ for her to retrieve but there was quite a collection of them.

Her last cruise was on Princess, and they evidently still allow them, so it was an honest mistake.

I had the exact same experience last week on Serenade. We were ready to walk off the ship when they swiped my card and that loud horn/noise blared out! I had really forgotten about the power strip they'd confiscated on day 1. Just had to walk over to the table and grab it and we were on our way...we had always taken one with us on previous cruises without an issue but security told me it was a fairly new item on the "banned" list...

On the naughty table for pickup at the end of the cruise last week there was a brick. First of all why would you pack a brick? Second, and you filled out a form to get it back? Would love to know the story behind that one.

When DH had to give up his teeny tiny 1.5" blade pocket knife as we boarded Freedom a few years ago we were baffled. (Esp. since I had a full size, but skinny, Swiss Army knife in my oversize purse in my makeup bag. I don't care about the blade part, but those tiny tweezers and tiny scissors are quite handy for travel.) So they confiscated the tiny knife and let me through with the bigger one.

After the cruise DH went to the naughty table as he is not the kind of guy who can give up his favorite tiny pocket knife...what an array of stuff! There weren't any bricks, but there was a big crock pot and several full size irons. We could not imagine why somebody would need a crock pot on a cruise!!!

Judy

We could not imagine why somebody would need a crock pot on a cruise!!!

One reason would be to warm one of those heating pads that have buckwheat or rice in them since there is no microwave available.

One reason would be to warm one of those heating pads that have buckwheat or rice in them since there is no microwave available.

Wow - I'd have never thought of that. We have one of those rice stuffed things but haven't ever traveled with it, even though DH uses it fairly frequently at home. I'm not going to tell him about this as there's no way I'm making room in my luggage for a crock pot. ;)

Judy

Since it seems you have internet at sea, could you do a speed test on the internet and post here? RCCL told me that Voom would be active as of May 1 on Liberty. I have a sailing on Liberty later this year.

Thanks!

Also, I had no issue with power strips before. I'm going to have to look in this (new?) rule.

Surge Protectors are the issue, and most plug strips include surge protection.

More than you ever wanted to know about this here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332780&page=3

Read the fine print in the guarantees / warranties for any surge protector - every one I ever checked excludes use on marine vessels.