When are formal dinner nights?

Usually two Gala Nights. First Sea Day and Ketchikan. FWIW Gala Nights on first or last day of any cruise and not usually on days while in port during dinner.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks!

0 25 Jun 2016 Seattle, Washington, US

Port Guide 04:00 PM

1 26 Jun 2016 At Sea

2 27 Jun 2016 Juneau, Alaska, US

Port Guide 01:00 PM 10:00 PM

3 28 Jun 2016 Glacier Bay CO

Port Guide 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

4 29 Jun 2016 Sitka, Alaska, US TR

Port Guide 07:00 AM 03:30 PM

5 30 Jun 2016 Ketchikan, Alaska, US

Port Guide 07:00 AM 01:00 PM

6 01 Jul 2016 Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

06:00 PM 11:59 PM

7 02 Jul 2016 Seattle, Washington, US

Port Guide 07:00 AM

Yours will be on the 26th and 30th.

To clarify something said earlier, formal nights are not on the first night and the last night. They are not typically on port days, but can be- Ketchikan is an example in your cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We have done your cruise a couple of times on the Westerdam.

Gala (back then they were formal nights) will be the first sea -- June 26 and the day you leave Ketchikan at 1 PM -- June 30.

People do not dress up as much as they used to. Jackets aren't even required.

Hi total newbie here...

I thought reading through all these posts (elsewhere on this site) that HAL had changed and there was only one gala night, but now you're saying here there's two.

I have Le Cirq booked on Thursday and that looks to be the same night as one of the gala nights and then I have The Pinnacle booked for the first sea day which now I've learned is the other gala night. I'm thinking of rescheduling so we can take part in one of the gala nights in the MDR.

Am I reading this wrong? Here's my cruise schedule:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Aug 27 - Vancouver BC

Aug 28 - Inside Passage --- Gala?

Aug 29 - Tracy Arm Inlet / Juneau

Aug 30 - Skagway

Aug 31 - Glacier Bay

Sept 1 - Ketchikan ------Gala?

Sept 2 - Inside Passage

Sept 3 - Vancouver

Thanks so much!

Edited by ShyannDay
Forgot to name ship

Hi total newbie here...

I thought reading through all these posts (elsewhere on this site) that HAL had changed and there was only one gala night, but now you're saying here there's two.

I have Le Cirq booked on Thursday and that looks to be the same night as one of the gala nights and then I have The Pinnacle booked for the first sea day which now I've learned is the other gala night. I'm thinking of rescheduling so we can take part in one of the gala nights in the MDR.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Aug 27 - Vancouver BC

Aug 30 - Skagway

Aug 31 - Glacier Bay

Sept 2 - Inside Passage

Sept 3 - Vancouver

Thanks so much!

Follow the current Nieuw Amsterdam thread. They're on the same schedule and Crew News does an excellent job of posting what happens each day.

Oo Oo Do me! Do me!

lol

My documentation says one Gala evening.

5 Day - Pacific Coastal

Day 0 - May 15 - San Diego

Day 1 - May 16 - At Sea

Day 2 - May 17 - San Fransisco

Day 3 - May 18 - At Sea

Day 4 - May 19 - Victoria

Day 5 - May 20 - Vancouver

Thanks!

Oo Oo Do me! Do me!

lol

5 Day - Pacific Coastal

Day 1 - May 16 - At Sea

Day 3 - May 18 - At Sea

Thanks!

It will be either the 16th or 18th. I would think the 18th...but could be wrong.

I guess we can count on Gala nights being sea days usually?

Usually, but not always. Sometimes an early departure from a port is a Gala night. If the ship sails at 1:00 or 3:00, there's plenty of time to get gorgeous before dinner.

The first and last nights of a cruise are never a Gala night. Usually the second night out is, but that is not always. At the other end of the cruise, usually the night before the last one is a Gala night, but again---not always.

I would guess your Gala night to be May 18, day 3, as that is the last possible night on what may be a longer cruise.

Usually, but not always. Sometimes an early departure from a port is a Gala night. If the ship sails at 1:00 or 3:00, there's plenty of time to get gorgeous before dinner.

The first and last nights of a cruise are never a Gala night. Usually the second night out is, but that is not always. At the other end of the cruise, usually the night before the last one is a Gala night, but again---not always.

I would guess your Gala night to be May 18, day 3, as that is the last possible night on what may be a longer cruise.

Thanks guys! You're awesome!

Thanks so much! We have the Pinnacle booked that night. That will be nice.

I guess we can count on Gala nights being sea days usually?

Just up the board in this thread is an example (at Ketchican) is a port day ending at 2pm, having a Gala night.

Hi total newbie here...

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Aug 27 - Vancouver BC

Aug 30 - Skagway

Aug 31 - Glacier Bay

Sept 2 - Inside Passage

Sept 3 - Vancouver

Thanks so much!

Gala Nights on your cruise will be the first sea day and on Glacier Bay evening. I am on the same cruise now. Here is a link to the On Locations for this week so far:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Oo Oo Do me! Do me!

lol

5 Day - Pacific Coastal

Day 1 - May 16 - At Sea

Day 3 - May 18 - At Sea

Thanks!

I can't be certain for your cruise but our Pacific Coastal Gala Night on the Nieuw Amsterdam was on the night before Victoria.

Thank you so much for clarifying Crew News and thanks also for your wonderful links. Much appreciated!

I have a question regarding the scans... They seem to indicate that Tamarind and Canaletto are not open for lunch. Is this correct? I could have sworn people have commented on eating lunch in both those venues but the restaurant hours on the daily activity sheets only indicate dinner hours. Can you comment on that? Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Edited by ShyannDay
extra question

Thanks - that makes sense. Fooey!

There seem to be a lot of inconsistencies with what I've read on other threads so questions keep popping up - for instance I just noticed that on Crew News' scans it shows the Mariner's Lunch. Is this the Mariner's Lunch for past cruisers (which I've read is now longer) or is it for anybody? So many questions - sorry! :-)

Edited by ShyannDay

Thanks CruiserBruce! You've been amazingly patient answering my questions. Although I've never been on HAL I do apparently have one star due to a long ago cruise on Carnival. Since Crew News posted the menu for the Mariner's Lunch, I guess it really still does exist. :)

Crew News... was the Mariner's Luncheon on Day 1... or?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Edited by ShyannDay