VOOM Roll Call

Thank-you, your numbers have been very consistent.:)

You are welcome. I hope it stays good on our Sea day Saturday. Last June, we had no internet most of that day. Will see... Internet has been excellent again today - even with everyone onboard, and technology floating around everywhere. :D

Just back from the Captain's Corner aboard the Rhapsody - the hotel director simply repeated the company line that all ships have VOOM available. The Captain was clueless about this issue. It seems that this thread is the only place to get the real scoop since everyone from the CSRs land side to ship personnel will keep repeating the same line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just back from the Captain's Corner aboard the Rhapsody - the hotel director simply repeated the company line that all ships have VOOM available. The Captain was clueless about this issue. It seems that this thread is the only place to get the real scoop since everyone from the CSRs land side to ship personnel will keep repeating the same line.

I think the way RCI are using the 'VOOM' as a term is VERY misleading. It seems from their point of view the term 'VOOM' just means they have internet access!!!

From the customers point of view (those that know) 'VOOM' means the fast o3b type internet not the older high orbit low speed high latency satellite internet.

For me as a UK resident RCI are advertising VOOM as 'the fastest internet on the sea' and I have correspondence saying Voom is on the ship I am on later in the year. So if I pay for 'the fastest internet on the sea' and get the old slow internet speeds I will be asking for a refund under the 2015 Consumer Right Act which covers digital services.

Hopefully RCI will get their act together and either change their adverts or make sure all ships have o3b internet access asap.

Either way I am not going to let internet access slow or fast spoil my holiday.

Happy Cruising.

For me as a UK resident RCI are advertising VOOM as 'the fastest internet on the sea' and I have correspondence saying Voom is on the ship I am on later in the year. So if I pay for 'the fastest internet on the sea' and get the old slow internet speeds I will be asking for a refund under the 2015 Consumer Right Act which covers digital services.

Not sure this Act (or any similar Act in the US) would cover the cruise lines since they are not UK/US companies. There have been several posts of CC members requesting a refund onboard and being denied. I don't want to have to deal with that and any bad feelings such a denial will leave me onboard so I plan on continuing to monitor these boards for speed/quality reports and will be requesting a refund/credit prior to the cruise if quality is as bad as currently reported.

Not sure this Act (or any similar Act in the US) would cover the cruise lines since they are not UK/US companies. There have been several posts of CC members requesting a refund onboard and being denied. I don't want to have to deal with that and any bad feelings such a denial will leave me onboard so I plan on continuing to monitor these boards for speed/quality reports and will be requesting a refund/credit prior to the cruise if quality is as bad as currently reported.

Cheers for the reply. As you say none of us want our holidays spoilt by internet experience. If it is not o3b then I will ask at customer services desk and log a complaint. I will not then worry about it at all. I will wait till my return and contact RCI and my credit card company. The act should apply as the RCI website is a co.uk so they are suggesting that UK bookings are to a UK company.

Above all internet is not a necessity to enjoy our holiday, it's just a nice to have. I am sure we will enjoy our holiday with fast or slow internet access :).

I too will continue to monitor the Voom threads and report speeds and locations during my cruise.

Happy Surfing and Cruising.

Currently on Explorer of the Seas at Seattle.

I don't know how they are getting those speeds from the geosync satellite, but that's excellent! Thank-you.

Edited by clarea

If you get a chance, would you please test using speedtest.net?

Can't post (or understand) the numbers, but here they are:

ping = 196 ms

download = 3.86 Mbps

upload = 2.02 Mbps

And two minutes later:

203 ping

3.88 download

1.96 upload

Edited by Merion_Mom

Can't post (or understand) the numbers, but here they are:

ping = 196 ms

download = 3.86 Mbps

upload = 2.02 Mbps

And two minutes later:

203 ping

3.88 download

1.96 upload

Carol, these look like real O3b VOOM numbers. Enchantment, right? Did you purchase surf only or surf & stream?

Carol, these look like real O3b VOOM numbers. Enchantment, right? Did you purchase surf only or surf & stream?

Why did RCCL put the good Voom on a small ship stuck forever on 3-4 day cruises and leave a good ship like the Liberty with high orbit garbage?

Why did RCCL put the good Voom on a small ship stuck forever on 3-4 day cruises and leave a good ship like the Liberty with high orbit garbage?

Excellent question.

Thanks for the post, but looks like the Explorer got the "Pig with lipstick" Voom. The high ping rates means slow loading web pages.

Looks like it. I also have the surf+stream package. We will see how that goes.

Looks like it. I also have the surf+stream package. We will see how that goes.

I was on EX Last cruise, and they were promoting the VOOM! I had the same package and it was a bit faster than the last few ships I was on, but nothing like Allure.

It also seemed to drop signal and reconnect a lot.

Have been on NAV for the past month. VOOM has varied from non-existent to outstanding. Mostly, it is mediocre. LOTS of stuttering when streaming. VOOM remains a work in progress that needs a LOT OF WORK.

166 posts later, not much has changed. We know ships built in 2010 or later, plus the Freedom and Enchantment have the real Voom. All others have the old high orbit garbage. Well, at least its a lot cheaper than before so there is one bright spot.

Indy as well as Explorer also seem to have real VOOM.

Brillance surf & stream in port Venice today. Ping 711. Download 1.67. Upload 1.27. This is the fastest so far. I don't no how to take picture. So far no refunds. Very unhappy with Internet. Cruise is great. It's been hard to get on except today because most people are off ship.

Brillance surf & stream in port Venice today. Ping 711. Download 1.67. Upload 1.27. This is the fastest so far. I don't no how to take picture. So far no refunds. Very unhappy with Internet. Cruise is great. It's been hard to get on except today because most people are off ship.

Is that with Voom? Meaning normal internet will be even slower? Not good news. We're on Brilliance in a couple of weeks but probably won't bother with Voom and will use wifi in port for anything that requires a good signal

We're just off the Majesty yesterday. They advertised Voom - fastest internet at sea, but at times I couldn't even get those 1 minute videos on facebook to load.

It was nice because it was free and twice I was able to stream Netflix with little issue, but it's not what they are advertising. And it wasn't my devices; I have an iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2.

Voom was also down a few times during the sailing. Maybe it's not fully operational yet.

Brillance surf & stream in port Venice today. Ping 711. Download 1.67. Upload 1.27. This is the fastest so far.

Seems like RCI is tweaking the existing infrastructure to get more speed. So the STREAM package might have more speed than SURF but without better pong times offered by O3B overall performance will still be noticeably slower.