Cabin 1954 on the Zaandam, advice?

JmaD

My sister and I are booked in this cabin on a 3 week Antarctic cruise next January. We will both become 4* Mariners on the trip. I know to avoid the obvious problems like under the kitchen or over the Show lounge. Any negatives we should know about this cabin? Thanks in advance

My sister and I are booked in this cabin on a 3 week Antarctic cruise next January. We will both become 4* Mariners on the trip. I know to avoid the obvious problems like under the kitchen or over the Show lounge. Any negatives we should know about this cabin? Thanks in advance

If you take a look at the deckplan, http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=za_2&deck=m&deep=0 you can see that there are only cabins above you. Enjoy the cruise, it is one that is worth every dollar :D

That far aft you may get some extra up-down movement in rough water. I did the cruise in 1926 on Zaandam and it was quiet and fairly stable. Although we all bounced considerably the day we had Gale Force 10 coming back through Drake's Passage.

I was in 2652, which is also port side, one level up, but further forward. It was excellent. Right at the rear staircase. A friend was starboard, 2681, which is about where 1954 is rearward, and he was happy. He did hear the thrusters going into port sometimes.

Zaandam rode thru heavy seas the day before Falklands and did very well!

You will likely hear and feel the side thrusters. This is mostly when coming into and leaving the docks.

You will feel the seas back there, but as far as Drake Passage is concerned, there is no where to hide!

Exceptional cruise! Better plan another cruise soon after so you can get the 4 star benefits!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thanks for the advice everyone. After all we have decided to go for an inside I on the Lower Promenade deck. Much more stable and close to an outside door.

Thanks for the advice everyone. After all we have decided to go for an inside I on the Lower Promenade deck. Much more stable and close to an outside door.

Excellent choice. I have been in one of these cabins on seven S- and R-class ships (the only one missing was the Zaandam). It's a smooth ride, quiet, easy to get outside for those views!

If I could fit a scooter in one of those cabins, I would still be booking them.

We were in 1881 (outside w/ window) on the February Antarctica cruise from Valparaiso. It was a nice stable location and quiet. That cruise was probably our favorite and was our first also as a 4 Star Mariner. The free laundry was fabulous. We may book it again on the 1/10/17 westbound trip it was that good!

I was in 2652, which is also port side, one level up, but further forward. It was excellent. Right at the rear staircase. A friend was starboard, 2681, which is about where 1954 is rearward, and he was happy. He did hear the thrusters going into port sometimes.

Zaandam rode thru heavy seas the day before Falklands and did very well!

I must have been on the same cruise. Was that the March 20, 2016 from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso? My husband and I were in 1805. We knew why they call it Dolphin Deck, it seemed our portholes were under water half the time and we half-expected to see a dolphin swimming by! I did not get seasick but my husband did. It felt and sounded like we were hitting a rock when the bow slammed down in to the troughs.

Excellent choice. I have been in one of these cabins on seven S- and R-class ships (the only one missing was the Zaandam). It's a smooth ride, quiet, easy to get outside for those views!

If I could fit a scooter in one of those cabins, I would still be booking them.

Thanks, Ruth. That is good to know. I am not really an inside cabin person but the location is good, the largest balcony on the ship only steps away and the money saved can go towards shore excursions and wine :-)

We were in 1881 (outside w/ window) on the February Antarctica cruise from Valparaiso. It was a nice stable location and quiet. That cruise was probably our favorite and was our first also as a 4 Star Mariner. The free laundry was fabulous. We may book it again on the 1/10/17 westbound trip it was that good!

Hope to see you on the ship next January