Price of cruising is much higher this last year on all lines

I know its about supply and demand so Im guessing people are still booking.I wonder though some of the best deals for me was the year prior and Carnival had a great year finacially that year I guess what Im trying to say will the prices eventaully drive business away .I love cruising because of the ocean,ships people and places but i know quite a few people who look at it as a bargain vacation if its no longer a bargain will they go back to land vacationing.I also know when I save on cruise fare Im more apt to splurge on excursions,steak dinners and pictures I pretty much have a set amount and i do spend it .

It's true - prices are significantly higher this year. And, being from Canada, the poor exchange rate tends to make them higher still. Solo cruisers are also faced with a single supplement that can range from zero to 100% (with zero being practically unheard of), which increases the price even further. In the span on two years, it has become almost impossible to find a reasonably priced cruise on any cruise line.

we have found ourselves booking ocean view and occasionally inside cabins now, where in the past we booked balconies. we don't feel like we are missing anything because we always spent most of our time on deck anyway and only used the balconies coming in to port and for early morning coffee. this way we can still take the same number of cruises that we enjoy.

Beverly

It won't drive much business away and even if it does, they just lower the prices a bit and those same people who thought it was too much jump back on the cruise vacation. As long as they are filling their boats (and in turn selling alcohol) they don't really care if you or I can afford it.

Still feel like it's the best vacation value out there. And booking way ahead of time, IMHO, is still keeping prices affordable.

Of course, what's affordable to me may not seem affordable to you.

And aren't the ships sailing full?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While some of the busy times are higher. My cruise for November is actually quite a bit lower than last year. I am in an 8M for the price of a 7A last year. Vistas prices weren't any more than breezes when I booked her. Yes they've gone up since then, but thats Supply and demand. Eventually the demand will subside, but until it does, expect higher prices.

It's true - prices are significantly higher this year. And, being from Canada, the poor exchange rate tends to make them higher still. Solo cruisers are also faced with a single supplement that can range from zero to 100% (with zero being practically unheard of), which increases the price even further. In the span on two years, it has become almost impossible to find a reasonably priced cruise on any cruise line.
My husband does business in Canada so I totally understand your dilemma hopefully it gets better soon

we have found ourselves booking ocean view and occasionally inside cabins now, where in the past we booked balconies. we don't feel like we are missing anything because we always spent most of our time on deck anyway and only used the balconies coming in to port and for early morning coffee. this way we can still take the same number of cruises that we enjoy.

Beverly

Good idea I have always felt i would not enjoy an inside but I should try it certainly a solution and a good one

Yes, it's true. Prices are higher. But, we still enjoy it and plan to keep going. Cruising is a great experience and fantastic way to travel! :D
Yes I agree and I do too but I also know there has been quite an increase in new cruisers and Im wondering how many of them tried it because it was so affordable I love cruising but spent many years saying cruising wasnt for me or too mjch money until I booked an affordable cruise and fell in love with it

Whilst I'm inclined to agree a few points

1. In my opinion still great value

2. Costs us less per night than a hotel and just two meals before we embark

3. Prices went 10+ years with little increase so over the last ten years prices have risen an average of about 25% in total, that's only 2.5% per year.

There are some great bargains out there for those with flexibility, willing to branch out, and do some research. Cruise lines are throwing all sorts of unprecedented perks and incentives to get people to book. From drink packages, complimentary alternative dining, 2 for 1 offers, kids sail free programs, to loyalty match programs, the deals are there.

Our upcoming cruise for this summer vacation is a good example of these deals. We were planning on sailing on the Carnival Valor in a porthole stateroom for 5 nights until we found a 7 night cruise on the MSC Divina in a balcony stateroom with Fantastica experience for LESS than the Carnival cruise. We took advantage of 3 different promotions: a 2 for 1 balcony sale, a kids sail free promo, and a loyalty match discount. By the time it was all said and done, the price was less than half what a similar Carnival cruise for the same dates in similar accommodations would've cost.

I know that not everybody has the flexibility to take advantage of these deals, but for those who do have it, a little bit of research can yield some big savings.

Edited by Tapi

Just did a quick search and there are some fall 3-4 night cruises starting at around $179. Not only is that dirt cheap, but it's also in line with low season sailings in past years.

Cruising has increased. We pay about 200 more per person than we did 15 years ago, outside of that increase it has been incremental. Of course all entertainment has increased , movie tickets, eating out, land vacations, air travel, just to name a few. The way we deal is by shopping for deals and perks, trying to travel at different times of the year but since we still work and have kids with schedules we have to go when they can go. We went to Vegas a few months ago for the weekend and spent close to what we would have for a person to cruise. There are now huge resort fees added per day to most hotel rooms. Let's not even talk about amusement parks, or Disney. Have to decide what you want to do and just work towards it until it happens.

I sail SOLO most of the time, and haven't been able to find any 5 to 14 day cruises that I consider a "good price" for this year. The only real bargains, IMO, are some of the trans-Atlantic cruises, and I really don't want to fly one way, or the other. (Yes, I'm a pilot, but I don't really care to ride in the back.) ;)

Guess I'll just keep watching, and something will probably come up.

"SKY"

I see that they have gone up some, but I just don't see the huge jump some say there is from just a few years ago. I believe that we are paying about $100 more per person than our first cruise. However, last year we had a balcony on the Lido for $839/pp (after a couple of price drops) for an 8 day which averages $104/night. This year we are at $769/pp for a 7 night on the Lido which averages $109/pp. Not too bad an increase.

Start booking far in advance. When I look at the price of the Pride this fall compared to fall 2017, the latter is much cheaper. So I'm debating on selecting my fall 2017 cruises now to ensure I pay the lowest fare.

What I've noticed is few cruises are reducing in price as they come closer - most seem to be increasing closer to sailing date. Gone are the deals 4-6 months before sailing.

When I started looking at our August 2016 cruise (last September) the price for a balcony cabin for 4 was $3000. Fast forward January 2016, booking on board, the cabin price was then $3500. Fast forward again to today and that same cabin is now $4200.

But if I want to book for next summer now, there are lower prices than what we're paying.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree a few points

1. In my opinion still great value

2. Costs us less per night than a hotel and just two meals before we embark

3. Prices went 10+ years with little increase so over the last ten years prices have risen an average of about 25% in total, that's only 2.5% per year.

I think part of that is the change in the business model of the cruise lines. They have been keeping the base fare's lower and switching to earning money through extra charge items. Especially things like specialty restaurants, which has really taken off the last 10 years. Drink prices, and on-board spending items, have also risen a great deal in the past 10 years.

I guess it's all relative! I took a Disney Dream cruise right after Easter of 2016 for three of us in a verandah room, 4 nights for $3500.

This winter I booked a 7 night Disney Fantasy for just me and my husband, middle of March (not around Easter) for $4500. If I booked it now it would be $5500 due to Star Wars day at sea.

I got to thinking, my kids are grown and although I love Disney, I already have a picture with Capt. Mickey. So I canceled it and booked a 7 night Carnival Magic for $2600 in a spa balcony room.

Some of you might think that is a ripoff, but for me it is one heck of a deal!

You've got to be booking high travel months or when school is out. We've cruised twice this year and have one booked for September and the prices are very competitive. Two of them are less than the same trip in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app