Advanced ice skating on RCCL

I have seen a lot of ship cruise compasses offering advanced ice skating towards the end of the cruise for people that have their own skates. As my name implies, I am a figure skater and planning on taking my skates for some practice time so I can avoid skating like crap upon my return. It seems to be mornings. Does anyone know if it gets crowded? I'd like to work on some of my more difficult jumps and spins without killing someone. I'm not a beginner so my double jumps could possibly hurt me or someone else if it's crowded and someone gets in my way. There is no way I'd skate with general group, too dangerous.

I played hockey for years and even skated with Peggy Fleming at some San Jose area rinks. My opinion is that it will go one of two ways; you'll either have the ice to yourself or they'll be just enough people on the ice to keep you from a fulfilling practice. I've never been on a ship with a rink. If it was me, I'd take the time to work on other fitness issues i may have that the gym or spa can address. Your chances of getting a full on practice without freaking other people out is probably slim. .2 cents [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have seen a lot of ship cruise compasses offering advanced ice skating towards the end of the cruise for people that have their own skates. As my name implies, I am a figure skater and planning on taking my skates for some practice time so I can avoid skating like crap upon my return. It seems to be mornings. Does anyone know if it gets crowded? I'd like to work on some of my more difficult jumps and spins without killing someone. I'm not a beginner so my double jumps could possibly hurt me or someone else if it's crowded and someone gets in my way. There is no way I'd skate with general group, too dangerous.

I played hockey for years and even skated with Peggy Fleming at some San Jose area rinks. My opinion is that it will go one of two ways; you'll either have the ice to yourself or they'll be just enough people on the ice to keep you from a fulfilling practice. I've never been on a ship with a rink. If it was me, I'd take the time to work on other fitness issues i may have that the gym or spa can address. Your chances of getting a full on practice without freaking other people out is probably slim. .2 cents [emoji41]

dpluta, no disrespect intended, but since you have never been on a ship with an ice rink, and you have NO IDEA what happens on a ship with an ice rink, why would you even post this?!!?!??!?

Icesk8r, very very few people bring their own ice skates, so you are likely to have little to no company. Watch the cruise compass carefully, or you may miss the time.

dpluta, no disrespect intended, but since you have never been on a ship with an ice rink, and you have NO IDEA what happens on a ship with an ice rink, why would you even post this?!!?!??!?

I totally agree with Mom.

If you haven't been on a ship with an ice rink, which is probably most of RCCL ships.

You should probably hold off on responding.

The ice rink is really small. I know on regular open skate times, they do not allow jumping. I thought I have read in this forum that they don't allow jumping in the advanced skating times either.

Edit: Found this thread, not the one I was looking for though. Person was only allowed single jumps.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43726692&highlight=skating+jump#post43726692

Edited by reallyitsmema

My daughter was also a figure skater and was excited to bring her skates and skate on board ship.

The advanced skate only refers to people that bring their own skates. That means, like when my daughter was on board, the eight year old boy hockey player will be bombing around the ice and the no test figure skater will also be out there.

The rink is very small and there is no way to gain the speed needed for more then a single jump. A sitz spin may be allowed but a camel spin would not due to the level of the blade.

The ship is also moving and a roll or pitch when landing could be dangerous.

Two of my daughter's friends who have turned pro have had contracts on board the RCCL ships. One of them currently does choreography for the shows.

Both of them say that the shows are "gimmick" skating as the size of the rinks and the movement of the ship precludes any serious high level skating. As a serious skater, you will see what that means when you see the ice show.

Take your skates and use the rink for the novelty of skating at sea. However, do not plan to be able or allowed to do jumps (maybe a waltz jump) and spins or have the room to practice any moves in the fields test patterns.

dpluta,

Isn't Peggy Fleming the sweetest person. She lives and trains in the Baltimore area and took a moves class with my daughter and other high test skaters.

My daughter has an awesome spiral and after watching her, Peggy suggested an arm position that just gave the right finishing touch to the spiral. Judges commented favorably more then once on my daughter's spiral arm positions.

Peggy is phenomenal. A real joy to be around and one of the most talented skaters I've ever seen. Loves to interact with the kids and openly shares with anyone. No pretentiousness with her. I think I value that in people more than anything else these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My DD skates as well. No jumps were allowed on the 3 cruises we did (over a span of 4 years or so). The ice seems to be about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a hockey rink. Anyone who brings their own skates can skate, which means there will be beginners and advanced skaters all at the same time. You'll get the hockey kid/adult practicing their speed and the figure skater who isn't allowed to do too much. One of the skaters in the show supervises the session.

Icesk8r, very very few people bring their own ice skates, so you are likely to have little to no company. Watch the cruise compass carefully, or you may miss the time.

I totally agree with Mom.

If you haven't been on a ship with an ice rink, which is probably most of RCCL ships.

You should probably hold off on responding.

But maybe they stayed in a Holiday Inn.:D:D:D

Do they make you wear helmets during these advanced skates? I imagine that most figure skaters won't bring helmets?

We are bringing my 8 year old hockey players skates and hubby's too. Space permetting I will bring helmets. I imagine these advanced times are so they don't have to bother with rentals, that is why I'm curious how they deal with the helmet issue. For liability reasons, I can't imagine they let anyone skate without a helmet.

I feel your pain. My daughter broke her ankle and had an excellent orthopedic sports doctor.

It was interesting that he would not let her skate for two months after the cast came off. He recommended instead that she did her horseback riding (another interest of hers at the time before skating became the main one) because she needed to keep her ankles down in the stirrups and he felt that would give her back the ankle flexibility and the lower leg strength to safely return to figure skating.

Helmets must be worn no matter what level of skater you are. The advanced skating time does not really give much space for any serious practice. I disagree slightly about the "gimmick" skating as I have seen shows were the male skaters were doing triples. In fact on one show a girl did double axel. Group routines are not overly complicated. My daughter no longer takes skates with her - not worth the space in the suitcase!