Booked on Board.............problem

So back last year in November I was on the Carnival Sunshine. I booked a cruise for this year on board for the Carnival Magic. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get the dates off or not but the guy on board said go ahead and book the cruise. Get your special deals locked in and you can always change it. So I was like great, lets do it. I never booked onboard because I was never certain of travel dates for the next cruise. This was my first time.

Needless to say I have found out the dates will not work that I booked. I want to still sail but just on a different date. I called to change and they want to charge me a $50 per person change fee. HELLO!!! This fee totally wipes out my on board booking discount which was $50 per person on board credit.

I have been an avid Carnival cruiser and loved every cruise I have been on. 5 of them now. This is the first time I have had a problem.

Is there really a change fee for bookings made on board? I just wanted to ask someone before I called again.

I am booked under rate code OOM

Any advice or tips please let me know. If they are going to charge the fee I will just cancel and be out the $100 and be done with Carnival. I am just a little bit upset over this

That's what I was afraid of. Didn't even think to ask for that. Normally I dont book trips until I have days off. He made me seem like that was ok.

Oh well $100 lesson learned. Very upsetting, so much for the deal :(

Unfortunately, most of the onboard agents book early saver. We always tell them we want the past guest rate.

This has been my experience as well and would be my only criticism of on-board booking agents.

A novice cruiser may not understand the Early Saver restrictions when presented with the option to book at the lowest available fare (which is often the Early Saver rate). If at any time (whether booking on board or not) you are not 100% sure of your travel itinerary, don't book Early Saver to avoid the change fees... unless of course you are willing to risk the $50pp to save the difference between the lower Early Saver compared to other available rates.

For others when you book onboard (or really book at all), it's a good practice to review all of the details - names, birthdates, amounts, rates, etc. You can get them corrected right away much easier than closer to your sail date.

Not to be critical, but I don't understand when someone doesn't research and find out the details about doing something and then when it doesn't go well they come here to complain about it. There are thousands of threads here that could of helped the OP make a more informed decision and avoid all of his/her frustration.:confused:

That's what I was afraid of. Didn't even think to ask for that. Normally I dont book trips until I have days off. He made me seem like that was ok.

Those things happen from time to time. We have had to pay the $50 Early Saver change fee in the past due to unforseen circumstances. However...look at it this way....at least you are going on a cruise. Enjoy it for what it is worth.

When booking on board, you should always book the Past Guest rate to secure the OBC even if you are not sure you will take this cruise. Once you are sure of the cruise you want to take, the Past Guest rate allows you to change the cruise to exactly what you want. You can then change the rate to Early Saver if you want. When making the change, just make sure you use the original booking number so the OBC goes to the new cruise. I have done this many times without a problem.:cool:

do you still pay the regular deposit amount when booking onboard or is it a reduced rate?

How much OBC do you get for booking a 7 night cruise?

Bill

Same deposit amount.

7 night sailings get $100 OBC.

You also get 2 "Friends and Family" certificates which would allow those two bookings to also get the $100 OBC.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Same deposit amount.

7 night sailings get $100 OBC.

You also get 2 "Friends and Family" certificates which would allow those two bookings to also get the $100 OBC.

Thanks Meat loaf fan.:)

Much appreciated.

OK after rereading the OP's first post she/he said they will cancel and pay the $100 and be done with Carnival.

They would still lose the rest of their original deposit too wouldn't they if they didn't book another cruise with CCL?

AFAIK you never get the deposit back, Carnival just holds the remainder for you for up to 2 years unless the rules have changed.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

When booking on board, you should always book the Past Guest rate to secure the OBC even if you are not sure you will take this cruise. Once you are sure of the cruise you want to take, the Past Guest rate allows you to change the cruise to exactly what you want. You can then change the rate to Early Saver if you want. When making the change, just make sure you use the original booking number so the OBC goes to the new cruise. I have done this many times without a problem.:cool:

If you qualify for Military Rate, it is the same as Early Saver That's how we book onboard and then change it to ES after we're sure we want to keep it.

Thanks Meat loaf fan.:)

Much appreciated.

OK after rereading the OP's first post she/he said they will cancel and pay the $100 and be done with Carnival.

They would still lose the rest of their original deposit too wouldn't they if they didn't book another cruise with CCL?

AFAIK you never get the deposit back, Carnival just holds the remainder for you for up to 2 years unless the rules have changed.Bill

Yes, if booked ES, the rest of the deposit would be held by CCL for up to 2 yrs.

If you never booked another cruise with CCL, you'd lose it completely.

I would call Carnival again and be persistent. Even if you have to call back a few times. Since the agent told you it would be okay, they should really waive the change fee. They actually do have the power to do it, but you just have to get someone who is sympathetic.

That's the problem with booking on board. The agents there aren't always the most knowledgeable and they end up giving incorrect information just to get you to hurry up and book. As others have suggested, it's a good idea to ask for a rate that has a refundable deposit when you book. Then you can make any changes you want later.

Got a related question here....I am certain of the ship, date, and category cabin we want for Spring Break 2017....I intend to book on my upcoming August cruise so I can get the OBC. Here's what I am curious about: Will I get a better rate booking onboard with ES as opposed to Past Guest, and will I still get the $100 OBC (or is that ONLY for past guest rate cruises booked onboard)? TIA!

Got a related question here....I am certain of the ship, date, and category cabin we want for Spring Break 2017....I intend to book on my upcoming August cruise so I can get the OBC. Here's what I am curious about: Will I get a better rate booking onboard with ES as opposed to Past Guest, and will I still get the $100 OBC (or is that ONLY for past guest rate cruises booked onboard)? TIA!

AFAIK the ES rate is usually about $20-$30 pp cheaper than past guest rate.

You get the OBC no matter what rate you book.

Bill

If it's a Spring Break cruise and you decide to wait you run the risk of it filling up and/or prices rising higher than your OBC. I would book now at a refundable rate like Past Guest then see what prices are when you're onboard your cruise on August. You should be able to cancel that booking and make a new one. Of course you'll have to put another deposit down, but the previous one will be credited back to the form of payment.

If they are going to charge the fee I will just cancel and be out the $100 and be done with Carnival. I am just a little bit upset over this

so.........are you cancelling :confused: