Allure: Switching From MTD to Traditional

I thought that this change was already made but when I talked to the TA, they said that Traditional was already booked and to try back in a few months before the cruise (sailing 3/26/2017).

It is hard for me to believe that they are already booked this far out. Could it be that RCI Traditional Dinning is not really booked all up but that this TA's only has an allotted amount of Traditional bookings and they are all out?

Whatever the reason, my questions are:

Can I book it directly with RCI myself (now over the phone)?

If not, can Traditional Dinning be booked through the Cruise Planner when it comes open?

or I'm I just stuck with TA in this matter?

I thought that this change was already made but when I talked to the TA, they said that Traditional was already booked and to try back in a few months before the cruise (sailing 3/26/2017).

It is hard for me to believe that they are already booked this far out. Could it be that RCI Traditional Dinning is not really booked all up but that this TA's only has an allotted amount of Traditional bookings and they are all out?

If not, can Traditional Dinning be booked through the Cruise Planner when it comes open?

Unfortunately you are stuck with your TA. And yes under RCI's screwed up system, it is possible traditional is full. Have your TA put you on the wait-list.

I'm not sure about the answers but Royal is extremely happy with MTD since it's the most popular option. On the other hand traditional is always full, I don't understand how MTD is that popular when traditional is closed most of the time.

I was tempted to try MTD since I always need like 10-15 extra since I'm trying to be super active on the cruise but I rather manage my schedule to be there in time for my traditional time. I read many disaster stories of MTD that I rather stay on traditional

I'm not sure about the answers but Royal is extremely happy with MTD since it's the most popular option. On the other hand traditional is always full, I don't understand how MTD is that popular when traditional is closed most of the time.

I was tempted to try MTD since I always need like 10-15 extra since I'm trying to be super active on the cruise but I rather manage my schedule to be there in time for my traditional time. I read many disaster stories of MTD that I rather stay on traditional

The trend has been toward MTD for a number of years and in response to a question about dynamic dinning, RCI mentioned a number in the 35-40% range who prefer traditional and will be accommodated as such on DD equipped ships. So while there are still a lot of traditionalists, the majority are likely now in the MTD camp and the MTD crowd is growing.

FWIW we had reserved traditional 8:30 but they changed us to MTD without warning. We gave MTD a try and it was OK, but with a caveat: we were in a suite. On Day 1 we showed up around 8:00 and after waiting in line to check in they seated us right away. On a couple of other days we had the concierge get us reservations, but we were told that there was nothing earlier than 8:00 pm available (which was fine with us).

One curiosity was that on Day 1, when we didn't have a reservation, the maitre d' snidely commented to us that Coastal Kitchen had better food and that we should eat there instead. I felt like he was trying to keep us out of the MDR to make room for all of the other MTD guests (and maybe reduce his workload). But he seated us anyway. Weird.

One curiosity was that on Day 1, when we didn't have a reservation, the maitre d' snidely commented to us that Coastal Kitchen had better food and that we should eat there instead. I felt like he was trying to keep us out of the MDR to make room for all of the other MTD guests (and maybe reduce his workload). But he seated us anyway. Weird.

Don't find it weird - he probably was trying to make room in MTD for folks who don't have the CK option - which is the majority. And folks have reported better food in CK.

You can contact "RCLdining@rcl.com" or RCL Cruise Planner Dept. @ 800 586-9723. Or if you're a member of C&A, contact them. I've had good luck getting a special table or table for 2 with RCL dining. Good luck.

Here is something I learned a couple of years ago. People like traditional especially early so Rccl will tell you that it is full and try back later but if you push hard they will book you in traditional.A few cruises ago I just told the agent if I can't get early dining I would just not book the cruise. She put me on hold for about 5 min. and came back to say it was ok. On our next cruise coming up in Sept., we had late dining and I called and again said I had to have early dining. Got it.

The reason for this is that a lot of people still like traditional so they keep it open for a closing tool later.

Mtd is great if you know your schedule and book reservations ahead but to wait at the door is like being at home.

We prefer traditional late. It is often wait listed. I've never not been able to get it. Sometimes an email to rci dining, sometimes dealing with the MDR Manager onboard, and just last week our TA made the change for us once I noticed availability.

For our booked cruise on the Allure in September, I booked through RCI website and MTD was the only option available. I think I could have chosen to be waitlisted for late seating traditional.

I transferred the reservation to a TA and asked to be waitlisted for early seating traditional. In the meanwhile, I reserved the MTD in the MDR for nearly the same time as early traditional.

This same thing has been an issue on our last 2 cruises with RCI. Both times we were waitlisted and ended up in getting what we wanted.

We prefer traditional late. It is often wait listed. I've never not been able to get it. Sometimes an email to rci dining, sometimes dealing with the MDR Manager onboard, and just last week our TA made the change for us once I noticed availability.

How did you notice availability?