Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

Everyone? No, not even close. The guy cleaning the pool, the ones answering the phone, the crew steering the ship, the guy unclogging your toilet. These people, all important jobs, yeah? Work hard? Haven't seen family in months? Why are these people not in the auto-grats pool?

"RCL absolutely CANT change this. Why, if they raised their prices to pay all their staff adequately, they would not be competitive!!!!"

OK, so how about they drop the cruise price to $0.00? No one could compete on price with RCL!!!! There's just the simple matter of auto grats needing to be $300 per person per day.

"How dare you remove auto grats! You are stiffing the kitchen staff behind the scenes."

How did these people get paid a couple of years ago before auto grats? Were y'all pushing your way into the kitchen to hand out a few sawbucks? Or back then did you not care about those hard working people but now do? Please explain. (the snarkier, the better :D )

At this point you may consider me someone who removes auto tips. Nope, never have. $13 a day, automatically? Not a bad deal. I just HATE the whole tipping topic. The guy yanking a cork on a $300 bottle of wine gets tipped more than the girl pulling the cork on a $40 bottle. Why? The guy dropping a roll on my plate gets tipped, but the one that sorts out my reservation after 30 minutes of patience on the phone doesn't. Why?

Don't get me started on the "chilly" demeanor of the bartender when I dare accept a bottle of $6 beer without adding another dollar on top of the ~ $1.20 he already got for popping a cap and handing me the bottle. I do take about thirty $2 bills to hand out each cruise to good bartenders making stiff drinks with a smile.

I so agree about the buck or so to hand me a can, put in some vending machines, I'll swipe my card and open it myself.

I have been reading these forums for quite a while but have never posted, funny how this is my first. I think people need to remember who posted the original question and where they are from, this thread, as expected, has gone off on a tangent.

Being Australian it is against our custom to Tip, full stop. And if we do it will be cents in a jar for the end of year party not 15%. We expect that the business owner will pay the people they employ sufficiently. Now being reassembly well-travelled and having had exposure to the tipping culture of the US and others, I understand the principle of tipping for service, however we must remember that when operating in a part of the world that it is not the norm, it must be expected that the question will at least be asked.

Now that being said I personally I either prepay my tips or leave the auto tips in place then top up for good service, but most of the people I know here find it a had concept to accept, and would opt out if they knew they could. If you use the word gratuities or tips in or around Australia then it is very much optional and should not be expected.

Now when I travel in the US I will follow the local custom and tip as required, but regardless of where the ship is home ported, they need to allow for where they are operating. As such, cruise lines in Australia will most of the time automatically add the Pre-paid gratuities to the cruise price at booking and you need to opt out if you do not wish to participate. So back to the original legitimate question- the answer could have just been, it is possible to opt out, but this is normally not done as it supplements the crew’s wages to make your cruise cheaper, etc.

To an Australian it is not being unfair, or rude not to Tip it is just the norm.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is no completely right or wrong answer, we all have different customs and ways to do things, but in this case, especially dependent on the location, it is really up to RCI to make sure one way or another that there staff are adequately compensated, or at least better explain to people (such as Australians and others) why they should Tip.

I have been reading these forums for quite a while but have never posted, funny how this is my first. I think people need to remember who posted the original question and where they are from, this thread, as expected, has gone off on a tangent.

Being Australian it is against our custom to Tip, full stop. And if we do it will be cents in a jar for the end of year party not 15%. We expect that the business owner will pay the people they employ sufficiently. Now being reassembly well-travelled and having had exposure to the tipping culture of the US and others, I understand the principle of tipping for service, however we must remember that when operating in a part of the world that it is not the norm, it must be expected that the question will at least be asked.

Now that being said I personally I either prepay my tips or leave the auto tips in place then top up for good service, but most of the people I know here find it a had concept to accept, and would opt out if they knew they could. If you use the word gratuities or tips in or around Australia then it is very much optional and should not be expected.

Now when I travel in the US I will follow the local custom and tip as required, but regardless of where the ship is home ported, they need to allow for where they are operating. As such, cruise lines in Australia will most of the time automatically add the Pre-paid gratuities to the cruise price at booking and you need to opt out if you do not wish to participate. So back to the original legitimate question- the answer could have just been, it is possible to opt out, but this is normally not done as it supplements the crew’s wages to make your cruise cheaper, etc.

To an Australian it is not being unfair, or rude not to Tip it is just the norm.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that there is no completely right or wrong answer, we all have different customs and ways to do things, but in this case, especially dependent on the location, it is really up to RCI to make sure one way or another that there staff are adequately compensated, or at least better explain to people (such as Australians and others) why they should Tip.

I wouldn't know where the person was from the post or what area of the world they are cruising in from their question. Tapatalk does not show locations or signatures. The other person did not say they would opt out and not tip. They asked what currency to tip in if they could remove the gratuities. So it appeared they understand the custom and concept of tipping the crew.

As far as international passengers who come from countries that don't have the custom of tipping, that would be one of the reasons the cruise lines went to auto gratuities. Years ago they handed out envelopes, everyone had the same waiter every meal, and years ago there were a lot fewer international passengers.

Personally I think Australia has it right about tipping and compensation but we have to live with what we have in the US until it changes. When I go to other countries I find out their customs and try to follow them. I find out if tipping is the custom or not and follow their custom.

Edited by Charles4515

Personally I think Australia has it right about tipping and compensation but we have to live with what we have in the US until it changes.

But it won't change if people keep doing it without question. Anyone who wants to do things even a little differently is invariably shot down.

"How dare you remove auto grats! You are stiffing the kitchen staff behind the scenes."

How did these people get paid a couple of years ago before auto grats? Were y'all pushing your way into the kitchen to hand out a few sawbucks? Or back then did you not care about those hard working people but now do? Please explain. (the snarkier, the better :D )

I am guessing that the carrot peelers kept quitting, until finally a lightbulb went off, 'Add him to the gratuities pool, duh!'

I've not been in a cruise yet, booked on explorer in November. I've prepaid my grats and I'm so thankful that I can. I'm in Australia, tipping isnt done here, do i have no idea who I should or shouldn't tip or how much.

I'd say another reason to the auto grats is this. The staff would be pretty low on tips when a ship is based around Australia I reckon.

When I travel I do tip in places that it's customary but I find it stressful working out the amount and who to.

So pre paying is way easier!

Planning to take a small amount of cash for extras if needed though.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bethers12

But it won't change if people keep doing it without question. Anyone who wants to do things even a little differently is invariably shot down.

The only thing that will change by individual action of removing the gratuity is that they will stop allowing passengers to remove them if a large number do it. Removing them is not the way it will be changed.

Edited by Charles4515

The only thing that will change by individual action of removing the gratuity is that they will stop allowing passengers to remove them if a large number do it. Removing them is not the way it will be changed.

You keep saying this, but it is not true. Gratuities are optional, or as Royal Caribbean says on their website, 'Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest.' They cannot call it gratuities and then stop allowing passengers to remove them.

If this was a service charge, that everyone pays, I think we would have much less arguing about tips.

You keep saying this, but it is not true. Gratuities are optional, or as Royal Caribbean says on their website, 'Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest.' They cannot call it gratuities and then stop allowing passengers to remove them.

If this was a service charge, that everyone pays, I think we would have much less arguing about tips.

NCL made it so you can't remove gratuities on board.

NCL made it so you can't remove gratuities on board.

This is a 'fixed service charge'. They do not call it tips or gratuities.

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

And as I have said before, if everyone paid it, there would be less arguing. I would prefer everyone paid it, but as long as RC calls it an optional gratuity, they can do whatever they want.

I like that idea of calling it a service charge. As one who tipped at the end on my first cruise, before it went 'auto'....we still tip at the end as many others do.

Currently they are allowing you to request the automatic gratuity be modified if the service that was received was not satisfactory. Not for the reasons you and others say you are removing them. They can change that.

There is an automatic gratuity for drinks. Can you remove that?

And as I have said before, if everyone paid it, there would be less arguing. I would prefer everyone paid it, but as long as RC calls it an optional gratuity, they can do whatever they want.

They don't say it is optional. They require it. They allow you to modify it if you received unsatisfactory service.

They don't say it is optional. They require it. They allow you to modify it if you received unsatisfactory service.

I think it's crappy to remove them but let's not play word games. It is optional. If it wasn't they wouldn't allow them to be removed. If they wanted to make it mandatory they could make it a service charge but they chose not to.

By calling it tipping it is and will always be optional.

I'm sure the cruise line knows that the percentage of people that remove them is small so they probably figure it isn't worth making people angry by moving to a service charge instead.

I think it's crappy to remove them but let's not play word games. It is optional. If it wasn't they wouldn't allow them to be removed. If they wanted to make it mandatory they could make it a service charge but they chose not to.

By calling it tipping it is and will always be optional.

I'm sure the cruise line knows that the percentage of people that remove them is small so they probably figure it isn't worth making people angry by moving to a service charge instead.

The 18% added onto drinks is a service charge and can't be removed. People don't seem to have a problem with that. Many people add another buck or two in addition to the 18% already added.

They can and should call the gratuities a service charge and be done with it.

Everyone? No, not even close. The guy cleaning the pool, the ones answering the phone, the crew steering the ship, the guy unclogging your toilet. These people, all important jobs, yeah? Work hard? Haven't seen family in months? Why are these people not in the auto-grats pool?

"RCL absolutely CANT change this. Why, if they raised their prices to pay all their staff adequately, they would not be competitive!!!!"

OK, so how about they drop the cruise price to $0.00? No one could compete on price with RCL!!!! There's just the simple matter of auto grats needing to be $300 per person per day.

At this point you may consider me someone who removes auto tips. Nope, never have. $13 a day, automatically? Not a bad deal. I just HATE the whole tipping topic. The guy yanking a cork on a $300 bottle of wine gets tipped more than the girl pulling the cork on a $40 bottle. Why? The guy dropping a roll on my plate gets tipped, but the one that sorts out my reservation after 30 minutes of patience on the phone doesn't. Why?

Don't get me started on the "chilly" demeanor of the bartender when I dare accept a bottle of $6 beer without adding another dollar on top of the ~ $1.20 he already got for popping a cap and handing me the bottle. I do take about thirty $2 bills to hand out each cruise to good bartenders making stiff drinks with a smile.

Right on brother!

Currently they are allowing you to request the automatic gratuity be modified if the service that was received was not satisfactory. Not for the reasons you and others say you are removing them. They can change that.

You may wish to look up what discretionary means. A guest can modify it however they wish to; up; down, removed, etc. There's no "if" barrier to that that I am aware of. They can prepay, pay with a cash account, have it charged to a card on file, pay with OBC, remove it entirely and pay those they wish with cash, or remove it entirely and pay nothing at all. Or any combination of those options and probably more.

It is an automatic program that someone can elect to opt out of. Poor service is certainly one reason one may want to, but it is not the only reason.

You are right, they can change it, but they have not done so, just like so many rumored diamond lounge changes. Let's give out accurate information and let free thinking adults decide on their own how to act accordingly.

Modify is what Royal Caribbean says.

Yes, Royal says modify. They do not stipulate under what circumstances.

I'm more concerned that people have accurate information to make their decisions. I am not so bothered about what they do with that information.

You seem to want to give out inaccurate information and be in control of what people do. I disagree with this and do not understand why you think you need to control what other people do.

I am sure OP has received accurate responses already in this thread, but without reading the entire thread, have you also provided an accurate response? The answer to OP's question is a very simple "yes".

Edited by LMaxwell

The 18% added onto drinks is a service charge and can't be removed. People don't seem to have a problem with that. Many people add another buck or two in addition to the 18% already added.

They can and should call the gratuities a service charge and be done with it.

I don't disagree. However as it stands they are not mandatory.

I don't disagree. However as it stands they are not mandatory.

I believe mandatory service charges allows for lower service levels; Royal could have less staff, service staterooms once a day, slower dining room service, no pool deck drink servers and there would simply be nothing a guest could do to address the issue except not spend thousands of dollars the next time. Very small comfort when you are stuck on a vacation experiencing poor service.

Most people don't or won't modify a charge if it is optional, but it retains the appearance of guest control and in my opinion helps keep things in check and balance.

Smart businesses don't punish 98% of guests because of the 2% that take advantage of a system outside of the spirit of how it is intended to operate, even if they are within the letter.

I highly doubt these people who remove tips tip at all. They give all kinds of reasons to remove and say they will tip more! Lol! I don't believe it. They are just cheap. You want to show appreciation? Leave the auto tips in place and tip in cash on top of that to those you especially appreciate. The auto tips you pay are nothing on top of the price of the cruise. Share your good fortune to be able to cruise with those who work so hard to make your vacation an enjoyable one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, Royal says modify. They do not stipulate under what circumstances.

I'm more concerned that people have accurate information to make their decisions. I am not so bothered about what they do with that information.

You seem to want to give out inaccurate information and be in control of what people do. I disagree with this and do not understand why you think you need to control what other people do.

I am sure OP has received accurate responses already in this thread, but without reading the entire thread, have you also provided an accurate response? The answer to OP's question is a very simple "yes".

I am not giving out inaccurate information. I don't say you can't modify it. Obviously modify means you can modify it to zero. The intent of Royal is that the reason to modify it is because of dissatisfaction with the service. That is what they say in their FAQ. But anyone can do it for their own reasons. Royal Caribbean won't stop them.

And no, I don't want to control what people do. Yes, I think they should leave them on. Arguing for keeping them on is not trying to control people. I guess what you really mean is that you don't like it when people don't agree with you. People are free to follow their own conscience. I have no power over what people do.

Edited by Charles4515