Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

From reading the article, it seems to me what collapsed was a temporary gangway /gang plank built at the shipyard for workers to access the ship, not the more permanent gangway used at passenger cruise terminals. If someone can reference an incident where one of these collapsed, without the assistance of a multi-thousand ton cruise ship, then I might worry...

Very well could be but it doesn't change the fact that I never have liked them. They still make me nervous.

From reading the article, it seems to me what collapsed was a temporary gangway /gang plank built at the shipyard for workers to access the ship, not the more permanent gangway used at passenger cruise terminals. If someone can reference an incident where one of these collapsed, without the assistance of a multi-thousand ton cruise ship, then I might worry...

Quite right. This was more of a scaffolding tower that is used to get from the dock floor to the top of the wing wall, and then up to where a gangway can reach the promenade deck of the ship. These things are rickety at the best of times. As mentioned in the article, usually there is a safety net installed, though this might not have helped as the whole tower collapsed.

OK, the ship hit it. Personally I don't really care as long as nobody got hurt. All I am saying is that I just don't consider Facebook as a news source unless it is posted by a news agency or someone official.

And you take news agencies word as gospel? Some do have a tendency to sensationalize !

Now something else my friends who are afraid to cruise will add to their reasons why.:D

Hah. I was just thinking about how walking onto the gangplank to board is the moment I relax and think nothing can go wrong to stop me from cruising. Good thing the ship has stopped moving by that point, so I should be good. ;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

If I have learned anything during my short time here so far, I learned that there are a lot of "experts" and honorary Captains. Lots of people posting in threads that don't have a foggy clue. And to think the couple that told me about this site on my last cruise said it was a great resource for information. :D

Apparently you are unaware that Cheng is a chief naval engineer with VAST knowledge of all of this. Time to place that foot in the ol mouth. This is why I stick to RCCL even on the forums lol.

Apparently you are unaware that Cheng is a chief naval engineer with VAST knowledge of all of this. Time to place that foot in the ol mouth. This is why I stick to RCCL even on the forums lol.

Not directed to you chengkp75 - you actually know what you are talking about. :)

Where is your foot? :rolleyes:

Back in 2010 the ecstasy hit the gangway in Galveston when she was turning around in the channel. Did about $3 million in damages. We had to board via deck 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch! 3 million! This one looks like it is not repairable. Wonder what the bill will be this time.

I work at the Port. I spoke with co-workers that were there watching. I often work at the Cruise Terminal. I know the procedures that are in place.

Since you work at the port, I'm hoping you can give me a little perspective here. This is just my investigative mind trying to make sense of this story. I've heard reports of the ship docking too fast and/or at the "wrong angle." Neither way explains to me how the ship hit that large gangway, which is on land and should have been in a position back from the water's edge. Exactly what part of the ship struck the gangway and how? :confused:

I wasn't on the ship this time, so I can't speak to what happened this sailing but I have sailed the Pride many, many times, and when docking there usually seems to be a series of attempts to line up the ship's opening to the gangway. I remember one morning in particular that it took nearly 15 minutes on a rainy, windy day. Frankly, it seemed as if both the ship and the gangway operator were trying to work in unison, so had they collided that day I don't know that anyone could have really assigned blame....not saying that's what happened here, just that they seem to often have a problem "hooking up".

Maybe this is typical? I'm usually asleep when we dock at most homeports; Baltimore is the exception. I'm hardly a navigational expert, but because we get priority debarkation we're always sitting right there next to the gangway opening observing the process.

Since you work at the port, I'm hoping you can give me a little perspective here. This is just my investigative mind trying to make sense of this story. I've heard reports of the ship docking too fast and/or at the "wrong angle." Neither way explains to me how the ship hit that large gangway, which is on land and should have been in a position back from the water's edge. Exactly what part of the ship struck the gangway and how? :confused:

Source??

Since we sail in just 33 days - can't help but wonder what the plan is for access until the repairs are complete.

I'm thinking RCL isn't too happy right about now either! There's an awful lot of people between the two ships that have to board and debark. It's going to be a huge mess if they don't have the old gangway sitting around somewhere.

I'm thinking RCL isn't too happy right about now either! There's an awful lot of people between the two ships that have to board and debark. It's going to be a huge mess if they don't have the old gangway sitting around somewhere.

Yep - and you certainly lose the "wow" factor of entering the lobby if the plan is to enter and exit elsewhere. :o