Gangway on Pride collapses

LMaxwell

Lets keep this in context here. I know what the OP said, but this isn't a CCL/RCI thing. In the past decade, Carnival's reputation for crashing into other ships and/or objects far exceeds that of any other cruise line. Just off the top of my head, these are the incidents I remember -

1. September 2009 - Carnival Legend crashed into the docked Enchantment of the Seas in Cozumel, causing damage to both ships.

2. November 2009 - Carnival Splendor crashed into the docked Radiance of the Seas in Puerto Vallarta, denting ROS's bow.

3. December 2009 - Carnival Splendor crashed into the pier in Puerto Vallarta causing damage to both the ship and pier.

4. January 2010 - Carnival Ecstasy crashed into the Galveston gangway, destroying the gangway and causing minor damage to the ship.

5. January 2010 - Carnival Miracle crashed the dock in St. Kitts causing a 15 ft gash in the side of the ship.

6. July 2011 - Carnival Fantasy crashed into the docked Carnival Imagination in Key West causing cosmetic damage to both ships.

7. May 2016 - Carnival Pride crashes into the Baltimore gangway, destroying the gangway.

That's 7 incidents I can think of in 7 years, including 3 cases of crashing into other ships!!!

There is no candy coating it. Carnival has a bad reputation for collisions. I challenge you to find a collision list half that bad for any other major cruise lines in the past 7 years.

Yes, there is "candy coating" it! Actually, it's looking at the numbers.

7 in 7 years. Now, how many ships does Carnival operate? Frequency of sailings and number of cruises? Ports entered? It turns out to an average of one a year either way.

Doesn't sound bad to me at all! Sorry, but I do not agree with your assertion as to a "bad reputation". Bad would be an average of 10-20 a year, not an average of 1.

Yes, there is "candy coating" it! Actually, it's looking at the numbers.

7 in 7 years. Now, how many ships does Carnival operate? Frequency of sailings and number of cruises? Ports entered? It turns out to an average of one a year either way.

Doesn't sound bad to me at all! Sorry, but I do not agree with your assertion as to a "bad reputation". Bad would be an average of 10-20 a year, not an average of 1.

So it's ok to crash into things? They still hold the record for the most mishaps.

In the past decade, Carnival's reputation for crashing into other ships and/or objects far exceeds that of any other cruise line. Just off the top of my head...

4. January 2010 - Carnival Ecstasy crashed into the Galveston gangway, destroying the gangway and causing minor damage to the ship.

We've never had a gangway "destroyed" here in Galveston. It was damaged and repaired.

Your sensationalism blunts the facts you are attempting to post.

Edited by BallFour4

Like a few of the others here, I'm trying hard to avoid the cruise line comparison piece of this thread, but I do have a comment specific to the collision piece because it's a field I am very familiar with. Blame it on my CG background, but 1 collision with another ship is 1 too many. Those 3 examples of one particular cruise line striking other ships in a relatively short period of time (2009-2011) were very alarming in the maritime realm at the time. All 3 were during docking maneuvers (coming and going) and in all 3, the CCL ship struck another ship that was moored. Thankfully, the collisions stopped after that but I know it wasn't without a lot of scrutiny from the powers-that-be placing CCL HQ under a microscope.

I was on the Pride when it happened and getting off the ship was easy using the forward brow on deck A. I am assuming they will use that for getting on and off until the gangway is repaired.

I actually liked it better that walking around and up the gangway. Not as "pretty" but much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Pride when it happened and getting off the ship was easy using the forward brow on deck A. I am assuming they will use that for getting on and off until the gangway is repaired.

I actually liked it better that walking around and up the gangway. Not as "pretty" but much easier

Thanks for the info.

Good to know. Thanks!

Yeah we are all idiots here

No offense to you, but some comments do sound, not idiotic, but without much thought put into the response / comment, often sounding more of ignorance than anything else.

So it's ok to crash into things? They still hold the record for the most mishaps.

It is odd that when there is a cruise ship crash, it always tends to be a Carnival ship.

Except those that hit Italian islands. Thats left to the Corp.

In any case, did they find out if it was the gangway that was extended too early, or that door that was deployed when it shouldn't have been?

It is odd that when there is a cruise ship crash, it always tends to be a Carnival ship.

Except those that hit Italian islands. Thats left to the Corp.

In any case, did they find out if it was the gangway that was extended too early, or that door that was deployed when it shouldn't have been?

As noted previously, the USCG investigation may take a few weeks to either conclude or become public. Can't say about the gangway, but the docking platform on the ship is always open long before the ship comes alongside the dock, as this is the only spot with any visibility of the area below the bow, and for a hundred feet or so ahead of the ship (geometry of the bow and bridge makes a blind spot directly ahead).

As noted previously, the USCG investigation may take a few weeks to either conclude or become public. Can't say about the gangway, but the docking platform on the ship is always open long before the ship comes alongside the dock, as this is the only spot with any visibility of the area below the bow, and for a hundred feet or so ahead of the ship (geometry of the bow and bridge makes a blind spot directly ahead).

I watched two of them open when the Victory came into New York and squarely hit the pier with the bow, denting it dramatically. I guess they were open but no one was looking. What a sound though.

I'm curious as to whether the different ports conduct operations the same way. Here's a picture from the Galveston cruise cam of the Freedom moving away from the dock yesterday:

6_zpsqpqfcrek.jpg

Notice on the left side of the picture, that the gangway is still sticking out, even sticking out a bit over the bumpers on the dock. Is this standard procedure at most ports to leave it extended like that? If the port in Baltimore operated like this, I could see where the Pride could hit the gangway if it came in "at an angle" to the dock. Didn't get up early enough to see the Breeze dock this morning, so I don't know if the gangway was still deployed this far forward when it docked. Anyone know if Baltimore is different?

Notice on the left side of the picture, that the gangway is still sticking out, even sticking out a bit over the bumpers on the dock.

I think it is the angle that makes it appear that way; they are retracted inwards (not very far) but it is inwards. But also when leaving the dock a ship physically can't make that sharp of a departure without one end of the other hitting the pier.

I'm curious as to whether the different ports conduct operations the same way. Here's a picture from the Galveston cruise cam of the Freedom moving away from the dock yesterday:

6_zpsqpqfcrek.jpg

Notice on the left side of the picture, that the gangway is still sticking out, even sticking out a bit over the bumpers on the dock. Is this standard procedure at most ports to leave it extended like that? If the port in Baltimore operated like this, I could see where the Pride could hit the gangway if it came in "at an angle" to the dock. Didn't get up early enough to see the Breeze dock this morning, so I don't know if the gangway was still deployed this far forward when it docked. Anyone know if Baltimore is different?

Galveston has a totally different type of gangway than Baltimore. Baltimore's is fully articulating, like an airport jetway, up and down, side to side. Much more flexible than Galveston's which is somewhat more restrictive in it's movements.

Maybe because there are so, so many of them?

Example: Cunard has 3 ships, Carnival has how many? Anyone, anyone? :cool: