Riedel Wine Tasting

pbrmom

You can sometimes find Riedel glasswear at COSTCO. I received a set of 8 Vinum cabernet glasses for Christmas.

Thanks! A set of Riedel "O" Series Wine Tumblers Cabernet/Merlot 8 glasses at Costco $64.99. The same glasses at BBB $12.49 for 21 glasses. And if you get there 20% off coupon even a better deal. All 1/8 oz glasses.

Tom😎

Thanks! A set of Riedel "O" Series Wine Tumblers Cabernet/Merlot 8 glasses at Costco $64.99. The same glasses at BBB $12.49 for 21 glasses. And if you get there 20% off coupon even a better deal. All 1/8 oz glasses.

Tom😎

Please make sure you are comparing collections to collections... Riedel has quite a few collections and pricing is different for each one.

The least expensive ones are in the 'lower' mass market collection and etc...

bon voyage

Please make sure you are comparing collections to collections... Riedel has quite a few collections and pricing is different for each one.

The least expensive ones are in the 'lower' mass market collection and etc...

bon voyage

BBB's web site says "Riedel® O 21 1/8-Ounce Cabernet/Merlot. Here's a link to there web site http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/riedel-reg-o-21-1-8-ounce-cabernet-merlot/1013272247?poc=105181. They look like the same ones on the Costco web site but someone familiar with these glasses hopefully will know.

Tom😎

I was a total skeptic, but took the class just to prove that it was an exaggerated claim. Blew me away what the difference was! Love my Riedel glasses, and may well take one again just for the fun of it (and more glasses!) on the next cruise.

I did the tasting years ago on Solstice. I think at that time they gave you the glasses to bring home, and I also purchased a voucher for a second set that I had shipped to my home when I got off the cruise. I still have both sets at home -- knock on wood nothing broken yet.

I think another factor that makes the Riedel glasses better than cheapo mass produced glasses is that the rim is cut class instead of melted/rolled. So the rim ends up being much thinner. I think during the tasting they said that does something to the taste, but I don't recall what that was.

Overall I was very happy with the tasting and thought it was good value for the glasses, plus you get the equivalent of a couple of glasses of wine over the course of the tasting! :)

From my original posting.....the concept behind the tasting out of the glasses, is first based on the shape of the glass to either open the wine (reds) or concentrate the wine (whites). The opening size also determines where the wine is tasted on the palette. The narrow opening puts the taste like pucker lips on the front of the tongue and the wide open pinot glasses for example put in on the back of the tongue.

What an interesting thread. It sounds like the shape of the glass here is key, not the maker. Don't most stores carry wine glasses in various shapes? Is there something different about these?

There is at least one (1) manufacturer out there who offers wine specific glasses, it is just that Riedel is the most popular and has a large advertizing budget and fan base.

Personally, I would believe that any of these 'wine specific' glass makers would be good, but nothing like a side-by-side wine tasting to prove it out.

bon voyage

" rnrcruzin" Not much to add that the others haven’t posted. I am an amateur wine maker with nearly 400 bottles in my cellar. I can say that there is a big difference in the glass. The take away is the right glass for the wine you drink. You can find the different styles at TJ Max or Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I was on an extended business trip and stopped in at a BBB. I found two Cab glasses and two Chardonnay glasses for eight dollars. They were good quality and served me well for the two months I was in place. At eight dollars I didn’t mind leaving them behind. Well I minded but I didn’t want broken glass in my luggage. Go for it and have fun. "

Lucky you being on X for that long! Worth leaving them behind... LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Does Celebrity use glasses like Riedel or can a request them when ordering wine? I really do not want a cheap glass when drinking wine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From my experience on Silhouette this past February, Murano was the only place where the Riedel glasses were routinely used.

It may be possible to request them in other restaurants and Michael's, but I cannot say for sure. I would think the MDR would be very difficult to get them due to the numbers required.

I Am sure you can bring your own and just wash them after each use... I just might do that on our 2017 Millennium sailing....

bon voyage

Has anyone done the Riedel Wine Tasting? It's $80 per person, seems a bit steep even with the glasses. And do they box up the glasses after the tasting so you can easily disembark with them?

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass.

Participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to ship home (shipping not included).

Does Celebrity use glasses like Riedel or can a request them when ordering wine? I really do not want a cheap glass when drinking wine.

The first time we signed up for this - I think it was December 2012 - if we bought the Wine Tasting from our sommelier, he would bring the proper glasses to our table when we ordered wine. That time I didn't keep the glasses because a friend signed us up and had the glasses shipped and as a thank you for the experience, I had the glasses shipped to her.

The second time, my husband and I signed up and it didn't seem we got that deal, but we weren't at a set table with one sommelier, but were on select dining, so that was an added factor. It is worth asking. However, I don't think the glasses are cheap ones, just not as special as the Riedel ones. We don't generally drink chardonnay and that is where I notice the difference the most. The only way I like chardonnay is when it is served in a proper chardonnay glass.

Beth

Edited by bbappel

I'm new to the "Riedel wine glasses". What can you say about these wine glasses compared to regular wine glasses? I assume that there are different types of glasses. I looked on-line and I see that there are a tumbler plus the regular wine glass. It looks like the red wine glass and tumbler are different that the white wine glass and tumbler. Which one do you prefer and why? Is this a must have?

I read that they give you a coupon that use for an online order but you have to pay for shipping.

Thanks for the info!

Tom:)

if you are well versed on wines and their nuances and have a good quality cellar stock, they are totally worth it. Mostly drink reds so that is what I have.

I just attended a local tasting with some wine distributors from my area. For some reason I got on the topic of Riedel tastings with one of them and he highly recommended that I try it on the cruise. He used to work for them and said that the glasses really do make a difference. I also learned from him that Riedel is pronounced "ree-dell", not "rye-dell" like I had thought all of these years. [emoji12]

I just attended a local tasting with some wine distributors from my area. For some reason I got on the topic of Riedel tastings with one of them and he highly recommended that I try it on the cruise. He used to work for them and said that the glasses really do make a difference. I also learned from him that Riedel is pronounced "ree-dell", not "rye-dell" like I had thought all of these years. [emoji12]

How you pronounce Riedel depends also where you are from.

Ree-dell sounds like from the Southern United States. :D

We very much enjoy the Riedel wine tasting. Not only is it fun but you get something to keep from your cruise. A great way to spend OBC!!!

I also like that you can order whatever glasses you prefer when you get home. Shipping was not as expensive as I feared.

How you pronounce Riedel depends also where you are from.

Ree-dell sounds like from the Southern United States. :D

Haha yeah I guess you are right.

I realized after I posted that he said it was actually ree-dle, like needle. Not sure why I put "dell". I need to stop posting at night when I'm tired! lol

I took the Reidel wine tasting on the Silhouette in January 2013 and the cost was around $63 back then including the tasting set which I took off the ship to bring back to Canada. No issues with breakage or chips whatsoever. Prior to my cruise I checked online and the set was offered at a price of $150 so all in all worked out to be a bargain. I still use them everyday and love them.

Haha yeah I guess you are right.

I realized after I posted that he said it was actually ree-dle, like needle. Not sure why I put "dell". I need to stop posting at night when I'm tired! lol

I had not planned to do this before, but just might after reading all the comments. I will be boarding the Millennium in 8 days and I currently have 300+ wines in my cellar. I love the idea of being able to enjoy wines throughout the cruise served in Riedel glasses. Typically on what day of the cruise do they hold this event?