Effy Jewellers…Buyer beware!!!!

London09

I had the same thing happen to me with a ring I bought on NCL from Columbian Emeralds. It was a beautiful ring and the second time I wore it the stone fell out, luckily I found the stone and brought it to my jeweler to fix and he tightened all the prongs.

Just got off Carnival and I bought a "cheapy" ring made from SS, I loved it but when I bought it I told my friend that the stones were going to fall out because the setting is high. Well 2 weeks back from my cruise and I threw the money down the drain because I can't find the stone. :(

I had the same thing happen to me with a ring I bought on NCL from Columbian Emeralds. It was a beautiful ring and the second time I wore it the stone fell out, luckily I found the stone and brought it to my jeweler to fix and he tightened all the prongs.

Just got off Carnival and I bought a "cheapy" ring made from SS, I loved it but when I bought it I told my friend that the stones were going to fall out because the setting is high. Well 2 weeks back from my cruise and I threw the money down the drain because I can't find the stone. :(

If you knew that the stones were going to fall out and you still loved the ring, why didn't you put it in a plastic bag until you got home and have the setting tightened. Seems as if that would be an obvious solution to me although it is too late now.

DON

If you knew that the stones were going to fall out and you still loved the ring, why didn't you put it in a plastic bag until you got home and have the setting tightened. Seems as if that would be an obvious solution to me although it is too late now.

DON

Actually I said it as a joke to her, lo and behold it happened.

I purchased an expensive LeVian diamond ring on a HAL ship. I had nothing but issues with it. All guarantees I was told about at the time of purchase were not true. On our HAL cruise in January, I took the ring in and the sales girl told me to take it to Macys. Well, that did not sit well with me. I went to HAL front desk and complained at customer service. Long story short, it took all 11 days of our cruise, but they took the ring back and let me choose anything else I wanted from the shops. I chose a solid gold globe pendant, which I am really enjoying!!! Why must we fight so hard to get them to do what is right? FYI, the people that work in the jewelry shops on the cruise are 3rd party vendors, and they work on all of the cruise ships from every cruise line. They are disorganized and very slow. The communication process is terrible. Only purchase items you can't live without. Anything that the manufacturer will guarantee would "probably" be the safest to purchase.

We confess. We do not know anything about jewelry. Sure we can tell if the stone is big but that is all. Don't know if it is real, if it is flawed, quality, correct weight, quality of the setting. Everything. Just do not know.

Same with gold. Don't really know if that 18K is really 18K or something less. Certainly don't know about the weight. Especially after having a piece of gold jewelry weighted twice on different scales in a so called 'cruise ship approved' store in St. Thomas only to find out that the scales registered two different weights. Naturally the scale at the front by the customer showcase had a higher weight than the one at the back by the repair area. Must have been a coincidence. The sales rep was so surprised. She certainly did not like me taking the pendant back and asking to have it weighed on THAT scale.

So, since we are so ignorant we never buy anything other than a small momento on vacation or on the ship. At home we never buy from one of those shopping centre jewelry stores -especially the chain stores. I am familiar with their mark ups, their mark downs, and their so called sales. We buy from someone we trust. Either the small jeweler that we have dealt with for some time, from (believe it or not) Costco, or tentatively from Blue Nile. Plus, we don't like the run around when something goes amiss.

That is how dumb we are to pass up on all those fabulous 75 percent off of 'appraised value' deals and all of those no tax and no duty sales. We must have thrown all kinds of savings overboard by walking past these offers.

Dumb...but happy.

PS...OP-sounds like you bought that piece from IFFY, not Effy!

Edited by iancal

They are disorganized and very slow. The communication process is terrible.

Making it hard to return, replace just wears the person down to accept whatever or give up. If an item goes missing, then communication is quick. If someone says "I have $200,000 to spend on X. and drops a Amex Black card." you will be sure they will overnight some common brown diamond to the nearest port, rename it and present it quick before the cruise is over with to get that sale. They are only fast when it is in their best interest.

UPDATE!!! I found the stone on my lanai. Next step, find a jeweler and have them fix it and tighten the prongs on the other stone.

I have purchased many, many items from EFFY at stores around the Caribbean, and Alaska, and in Dept. stores in the northeast. I believe their HQ is in NYC. they have a website. When you buy from their stores (not sure about the ones on the ship) they give you a receipt with all of the info about your item, and a picture. Now you can register your item on their website, and it will tell you what to do if you have a problem with the item. The last two cruises, Carnival and MSC, they had shops onboard but were not on the list of approved stores. But why should they pay to be recommended if they already have your attention from their store onboard? I think if you follow their instructions and register your items, you can avoid the middle man in getting things repaired/replaced. They want you to be happy. EM

• 2 years later...
31 minutes ago, Huxley420 said:

Have purchased many rings from Effy on Princess and never had a problem. They are all beautiful and wear them daily.

Did you feel like you needed a shower after dealing with their scummy sales staff?

On 5/8/2016 at 4:23 PM, mllewis48 said:

I think you may find many that disagree with your assessment including us. We have made many jewelry purchases over our years of sailing with Hal, always Guaranteed Stores. We had one bad experience but worked with Hal and received a full refund. Everything we have purchased we had appraised and to date we have always had great bargains including quality. A person needs to be cautious with what and where they buy.

If I were the OP I would use the Guarantee Store avenue and get a refund rather than pay more money to fix the problem with the ring. I can't imagine any reputable jewelry store would be willing to fix or properly appraise a ring not purchased at their store.

Good luck!

They will - and they will charge for it.   You have to go to a jeweler to have something appraised for insurance purposes, and it doesn't have to have been purchased from that store.   Most good jewelers have an appraiser available, and they know how to weight the gold and appraise the stone.  That is their business.