Silly and somewhat odd question/thought

cruiseintoheaven

I have unfortunately seen a couple of falls on those stairs. You are correct...they fall hard and there is damage.....while both "victims" survived, they both required lots of medical attention, and guests were disturbed by what they witnessed....

You took the words out of my mouth.

Though spilled liquids, marble steps, and distracted people can cause falls on those stairs...what "trips" me up the most is when the handrails are not accessible due to people using the stairs as their personal viewing area.

I agree the stairs are a great place to watch the atrium action but allowing folks to loiter there could cause folks to loose balance and fall. Those who park on the stairs not only block the handrail but often move suddenly to reposition for the view or to take a photo and do so without paying any attention to those traversing the stairway.

The stairways @ the piazza can be beautifully dangerous.

On our last cruise I made myself go up and down them.

I wasn't afraid of the stairs but more of my inability to maneuver. First couple of times I used them I did it very slowly.

Once I had done it quite a few times, I became cautiously confident as I tried not to picture myself falling on my rear and going bump, bump.

It is very difficult to go up and down those beautiful stairs when there is entertainment going on. I too am holding on the rail. :eek:

Before our next cruise I hope to be a stair master @ the gym. :D

You know what worries me? Why, as Earl Pitts says, I want to dig up earthworms, tie them in knots and rebury them! We have hair sheep but do wool sheep shrink in the rain because I haven't seen any to count for 15 days because it has rained here every day. Maybe they are so small........

I am reminded of the advice of my neighbor. "Never worry about your heart till it stops beating.:D

We sailed on the Sun Princess Inaugural in 1995. The atrium steps were very slippery at that time (brand new, polished marble, no carpeting). Five years later we sailed on her again and we noticed that the edges of the steps had been roughed so that shoes had a bit more grip. You couldn't see it, but you sure could feel it. We haven't been on the Sun since. I have always used the handrails since I'm a klutz and won't use the marble steps when wearing dress shoes.

By the way your question is neither odd nor silly!

Edited by towhee

I use them but only if I can hold the rail all the time. When reaching the bottom, the hand wipes or purell comes out. But I'm also good to have a sweater on and use the sleeve too while holding rails.

Before our first cruise, on the Caribbean, our neighbors were onboard the week before. On their ruse someone did die after falling on some steps. They never saw or heard of it. I kept thinking before ours (having never cruised before) how someone could die on carpeted steps. . . and then I saw them. . .

I am sure if folks do get injured, the personnel will make it quick in getting the passenger removed from the situation and to at least a quiet place to examine them to see if they need more help.

On our cruise through the Panama Canal, we went to the visitors center. They too have plenty of marble tile there. Our travel companions and my DH and I were starting to walk back to our bus when one of our friends was tripped by a young lad of about 12. We thought she had possibly snapped her wrist. We were given VIP treatment getting on the tender back to the ship and the staff was waiting there for us when we approached. She was whisked away with her husband and we were sort of pushed away. (understandably) We met up later in the buffet when they were done in the medical department. Nothing broken, just badly sprained. She was treated very well for the rest of the cruise with the staff checking up on her daily!

It's the functions in Atrium that bother me, eg, captain cocktail party, usually nowhere to sit. Standing on stairs, desparately trying to grab a bit of stair rail with 1 hand and drink in the other and hope ship doesn't move too much!!!!