Silly and somewhat odd question/thought

cruiseintoheaven

So, being a woman of a certain age/stage of life where I often find myself awake at night (visited not by the "bluebird of happiness" but rather the "vulture of insomnia")........I find myself mulling over various life issues both big and small while I "sweat it out".

I could and should get up and do something productive like work on daughters upcoming wedding plans, or at least sort through my only/lonely sock drawer in hopes of doing some match-making, but instead I find myself perusing cruise critic, partly because I've been a lurker/reader for many years before joining and enjoy it, and partly in anticipation of our Crown to Alaska cruise in 11 days (yes I am indeed counting). So back to my odd question/thought:

Having been born into a long line of worriers going back many generations (and being rather good at it if I do say so myself), I've accepted that certain things, like sushi and skydiving, and frankly circus clowns, will always create anxiety for me. Anywho, when we cruise, DH and I like sitting in the piazza having a drink and enjoying the entertainment, and also people watching. A recurring question that often comes up is "how is it that given the circular design of the stairwells, with traffic going both ways by folks often carrying a drink (or three) on slick marble.......we've (thankfully) never seen, nor experienced, nor heard of anyone having what could be a pretty disastrous fall?"

We've witnessed minor accidents just about on every cruise we've taken, but (again thankfully) never of that nature. DH and I both agree that there must be some engineering/design intelligence in the build that works in favor of PAX safety but can't quite see it ourselves.......thoughts??

As I make my way gingerly up or down those stairs I've had the same thought! :eek:

I have had the same thoughts looking at those stairs. My balance is not the best so I use the hand rails and never had a problem. But, still I have never seen anyone slip...thank heavens.

I believe that the curved stairs make people slow down and pay attention more because it is not how you are used to climbing or decending stairs. I've never seen anyone fall on the curved stairs (knock on wood), but I have personally tripped on one of the normal staircase and gashed my leg while trying to go to quickly.

I have also thought about this. My worry is that if one falls on that marble, they will fall hard. I can't even imagine the damage that would be done...:eek:

I have unfortunately seen a couple of falls on those stairs. You are correct...they fall hard and there is damage.....while both "victims" survived, they both required lots of medical attention, and guests were disturbed by what they witnessed....

We were on a cruise about 20 years ago and my husband did fall down on those stairs. It was formal night and some not so intelligent person spilled a drink and decided not to get it cleaned up. We were walking down the stairs to meet the officers and when DH hit the liquid he went right down. He almost pulled me down as well.

The officers ran over to help him and see if anything was broken. Thank goodness NO but he was bruised and quite upset that someone would just leave a spilled drink. They offered to take him to medical but he said no and we just went back to the cabin. They did come and check on him and gave him some heavy duty ibuprofen.

Bruised but not broken thank goodness.

Cheeseclan: good to hear hubby is OK.

My mother fell often. Bad eyesight, bad balance, whatever. She tore the rotator cuff on both shoulders, broke her hip, had a broken hand twice.

I have fallen down stairs though I am more prone to falling UP stairs. I've fallen in a parking lot, at the theater once (long story and really funny looking back) and once on the side of the freeway, also funny looking back. It's funny, of course, because I didn't get hurt. Embarrassed as heck, but not hurt.

Anyway, now that I'm older I think often of my Mom and try to be very careful wherever I am. In regards to those beautiful but frightening-looking stairs in the Piazza I am even more cautious. So, I think that is the answer: Because of the nature of those stairs when people go down them they are more deliberate and careful, as opposed to just going at them full speed ahead.

We don't use those stairs! We walk a bit further on and take the regular stairs.

I refer to them as the scary stairs. :eek: That being said, happily I've never seen anyone fall on them.

Cheers, Denise

We were on a cruise about 20 years ago and my husband did fall down on those stairs. It was formal night and some not so intelligent person spilled a drink and decided not to get it cleaned up. We were walking down the stairs to meet the officers and when DH hit the liquid he went right down. He almost pulled me down as well.

The officers ran over to help him and see if anything was broken. Thank goodness NO but he was bruised and quite upset that someone would just leave a spilled drink. They offered to take him to medical but he said no and we just went back to the cabin. They did come and check on him and gave him some heavy duty ibuprofen.

Bruised but not broken thank goodness.

More a problem with a worthless jerk of a soc-called person than with the stairs but it could have been much worse. I'm sure it was painful and embarrassing but it's good that he didn't smack the back of his head on the stairs.

I'll never understand what goes on in the minds of people such as this who would spill liquid on potentially slick and dangerous stairs and not immediately either get it cleaned up or clean it up themselves.

Well, I'm sorry to hear - though not surprised that it has happened. I also think there's probably something to the design forcing one to slow down - so perhaps that's the simple engineering/design concept....

It's funny because I was thinking the same sort of thoughts when I was last on a ship and killing time in the Lobby Bar. People are often "sightseeing" when going up and down those stairs. On the regular stairs, there is nothing to see, but in the Piazza, there is entertainment taking place much of the time. I'm surprised more people don't fall.

So, being a woman of a certain age/stage of life where I often find myself awake at night (visited not by the "bluebird of happiness" but rather the "vulture of insomnia")........I find myself mulling over various life issues both big and small while I "sweat it out".

I could and should get up and do something productive like work on daughters upcoming wedding plans, or at least sort through my only/lonely sock drawer in hopes of doing some match-making, but instead I find myself perusing cruise critic, partly because I've been a lurker/reader for many years before joining and enjoy it, and partly in anticipation of our Crown to Alaska cruise in 11 days (yes I am indeed counting). So back to my odd question/thought:

Having been born into a long line of worriers going back many generations (and being rather good at it if I do say so myself), I've accepted that certain things, like sushi and skydiving, and frankly circus clowns, will always create anxiety for me. Anywho, when we cruise, DH and I like sitting in the piazza having a drink and enjoying the entertainment, and also people watching. A recurring question that often comes up is "how is it that given the circular design of the stairwells, with traffic going both ways by folks often carrying a drink (or three) on slick marble.......we've (thankfully) never seen, nor experienced, nor heard of anyone having what could be a pretty disastrous fall?"

We've witnessed minor accidents just about on every cruise we've taken, but (again thankfully) never of that nature. DH and I both agree that there must be some engineering/design intelligence in the build that works in favor of PAX safety but can't quite see it ourselves.......thoughts??

You are a wonderful writer!

My hypothesis: people fall, or crash their cars, when they get complacent.

Those stairs are an odd size. The tread is either way too long or way too short.

Much like a traffic circle, then, this creates enough anxiety to break the complacency, and is thus safer in terms of actual accidents, despite being more dangerous appearing.

DH and I both agree that there must be some engineering/design intelligence in the build that works in favor of PAX safety but can't quite see it ourselves.......thoughts??

Why, my dear, the answer, is perfectly clear! It is obviously due to Princess Engineering Magic, or perhaps just plain Princess Magic, I'm not sure which. :D :D Of course, other cruise lines may claim something different, but we know the real reason, don't we? :rolleyes:

Tom

P.S. It really is an interesting question, now I'll go back and read the rest of the thread and see if anybody has a different reason.

My hypothesis: people fall, or crash their cars, when they get complacent.

Those stairs are an odd size. The tread is either way too long or way too short.

Much like a traffic circle, then, this creates enough anxiety to break the complacency, and is thus safer in terms of actual accidents, despite being more dangerous appearing.

Well said.....and explains why I go down them verrrrry slooowwwlly.

I never take them. I all most all ways use the elevators. I don't like even using the regular stairs while the ship is on the way. I all so wear flat rubbed soled shoes, all the time. Even on formal nights.