Miami Flights...is this enough time?

dhinds81

I am looking to book our flights for our cruise the end of August. Our itinerary says our ship arrives back to Miami at 8:00 am. If I book a flight out of Miami Airport at 11:30, is that enough time to get off the ship and to the airport? Or should I look at later flights?? Thanks!

Just posted something similar. After much back and forth with Carnival and airlines we changed our flight to 1:30. Just not going to ruin my cruise worrying about debarkation. Plus we had planned on using Carnival transfer which they will not guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just posted something similar. After much back and forth with Carnival and airlines we changed our flight to 1:30. Just not going to ruin my cruise worrying about debarkation. Plus we had planned on using Carnival transfer which they will not guarantee.

Nice safe choice! There is NO reason to add stress post cruise!

Plus we had planned on using Carnival transfer which they will not guarantee.

Nooooo! :eek: Carnival transfers are slow and expensive -- a taxi from POM to MIA is a flat rate fare (ignore the meter!) of $27+tip for the cab, not per person like transfers charge. Unless you are solo a taxi is cheaper and quicker.

After much back and forth with Carnival and airlines we changed our flight to 1:30. Just not going to ruin my cruise worrying about debarkation.

Absolutely agreed!! There are so many things beyond one's control; I would not want to spend precious vacation time worrying this, nor would we book a flight before at least 1:00 pm (my personal buffer zone).

To clarify for the others, you switched your flight to FLL. Yours is not POM to MIA as I recall. Still, I wouldn't ever use the transfers offered by the ship.

You are correct. I had to switch to FLL as United changed our original 2pm flight to 11:30. Option from Miami was 5:30. Didn't want to wait until then. However, if there had been a 130 flight from Miami I would have chosen that. United screwed me and I was stuck.

Thanks everyone.

I know Carnival recommends flights after 12. That's why I wasn't sure if thirty minutes made a difference.

We are going from POM to Miami Intl and going by taxi. It seems right now I have flight options early or late. Nothing in between. Id rather not be there until 4:30 if I can get a flight out earlier.

I didn't want to wait either. As I said I spoke to United, Carnival and friends that live in Miami. As much as I wanted to take that 1130 flight, the group I am with didn't want to chance. Good Luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone.

I know Carnival recommends flights after 12. That's why I wasn't sure if thirty minutes made a difference.

We are going from POM to Miami Intl and going by taxi. It seems right now I have flight options early or late. Nothing in between. Id rather not be there until 4:30 if I can get a flight out earlier.

I'd take the 11:30 flight. Unless... Carnival isn't efficient with disembarking.We haven't cruised their ships. But normally you can easily be at MIA 9:00.

Understood. I have never cruised Carnival, but they probably have something which allows you to self-disembark before other passengers while carrying your own luggage, or ask to be in the first few groups of disembarking passengers. You'll get a jump on things as I saw tonight on TV that the security lines at airports are just getting longer and more stupid by the day.... *ugh*.....

I would go with something Noon or later.

Can you probably make 11:30 AM? Sure but not guaranteed because things go wrong.

I never like to worry about this and just am more cautious when selecting flight times.

Keith

We had a 12:00 flight from MIA last year (Celebrity). Would have had plenty of time, except one of our bags was late showing up off the ship. I actually sent my wife and daughter off with two of the bags into the long customs line, told them I'd meet them at the airport if necessary. The last bag finally showed up and we made it to MIA around 10:00 and were OK.

I'd say 11:30 will work in most cases, or especially if you carry off your bags. But personally it would be a little too close for comfort for us.

Interesting side note: I asked one of the Celebrity reps in the baggage area, if I had to leave to get to our flight would our bag be forwarded on to us - answer - NO. She did offer to put me in a wheelchair to get to the front of the customs line when it did show up:D

Miami is a much bigger airport than FLL (which is growing by the day) and is better equipped to handle the larger crowds.

I would be okay with POM to MIA at 11:30 BUT if you miss the flight, then what?

POM-->FLL No.

PE---->MIA No.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and booked the 11:30 am flight out. Its just 2 of us, and I'll make sure we carry our luggage ourselves off the ship. We'll be up bright and early, and ready to rock and roll as soon as we get to port. :D