Just back - first sunshine cruise

Thebosn1

We were on Sunshine in January. The food was fine (pizza & Guy's--Great!), but the getting around was tight. It was tight enough that since there are options, we will not return to the Sunshine. We will limit our future Carnival cruise to Dream, Magic or Breeze.

We did a eight night cruise on the Sunshine in February.The Sunshine is the most crowded ship I ever sailed on.Chair Hogging was totally out of control both on deck and in the showrooms. We did manage to get a clamshell on deck 14 of Setenity by being out there by 7 AM. Everything on decks 11-12 was hogged at 7. To see a show in the Liquid Lounge required being in line 45 minutes early. Same for comedy. Never could get in the Piano bar !

I asked my wife about cruising on the Pride in January out of Tampa--- really like the itinerary and the Spirit class ships. She told me to have fun--- said no more Carnival for her after eight nights of Sunshine.

Just got off our second cruise on the Pride. IMO - it is the BEST of all the Carnival ships. The decor has the feeling of an old time ocean liner. Easy to navigate like all the Spirit Class. 2.0 upgrades, great Serenity area - awesome staff and the best food I have had on any Carnival ship - even with the American Table. We did one cruise on her with and one without. I just didn't like the table set up but it's the same on any ship with the AT. Between the bread basket, the water carafe, and the wine bottle with the table number (totally unnecessary - the old little numbers were fine) and I'm one who prefers a tablecloth. It cuts down the overall noise in the MDR, keeps things from sliding around the table and it's just nicer. The tables have a high gloss - who puts a high gloss on tables on a ship that is moving and might encounter rough seas.

Anyway - give the Pride a shot! I don't think you'll regret it.

We're booked on the Sunshine in Sept of 2017 because we want to go to Canada and the Pride doesn't do that itinerary. Looking forward to some things - Ji Ji, Cucina dle Capitano and the ropes course. We've also got an aft wrap - and I'm all about the aft wraps when I can get them! I'll deal with the rest :cool:

My wife and I love this ship. However, our situation is a little different than some .... We have no kids, we don't eat dinner in the Lido, we always prefer late seating in the MDR or go to a specialty restaurant, and for the most part we avoid the crowded areas during the day. We go to the late shows, and take advantage of the Havana bar area for breakfast. For those reasons, the Sunshine is a great choice for us. I will agree that if you eat at the Lido, have early seating for dinner, and try to go to the early shows ... you will be upset at the crowds most of the time.

Serenity packed on 2 levels by 730 am.

This is troubling because I really want to hit the Seaday Brunch but also want a place to sit and rest my breakfast belly in the sun after.

I looked up bar open times on sea days and was surprised that they are a bit later (10am), so my question is: "Where can I get a Mimosa, Tequila Sunrise, Bloody Mary" at 7am while I commandeer a couple of loungers? I can't bring myself to do the towel on the chair and leave it for hours...its very disrespectful to others.

Also did anyone try the Seaday Brunch? The french toast coated with frosted flakes looks especially appetizing.

My wife and I love this ship. However, our situation is a little different than some .... We have no kids, we don't eat dinner in the Lido, we always prefer late seating in the MDR or go to a specialty restaurant, and for the most part we avoid the crowded areas during the day. We go to the late shows, and take advantage of the Havana bar area for breakfast. For those reasons, the Sunshine is a great choice for us. I will agree that if you eat at the Lido, have early seating for dinner, and try to go to the early shows ... you will be upset at the crowds most of the time.

Thanks for the info, just a couple questions as we plan to do the same.

1. Did you find it easy to get seats at the late comedy show ... that actually could see the stage?

2. How was Havana Bar breakfast and did they Mimosas/Bloody marys as option during breakfast times?

Thanks again.

I didn't mean to make it sound as if the crowds were awful, but they were just worse than other ships. And I realize the buffet is not the top of the line food on any ship, but Sunshine was below normal for being cold, and the quality.

Any cruise for my wife and I, we can make the best of it and we ALWAYS enjoy ourselves. I usually have nothing negative to say, which is why Sunshine probably seemed a little below normal for us.

I can attest to the fact that this couple ALWAYS enjoy themselves on a cruise, and I ALWAYS enjoy a cruise with them :D Can't wait until our Vista cruise next year to see you both again!

Just got off our second cruise on the Pride. IMO - it is the BEST of all the Carnival ships. The decor has the feeling of an old time ocean liner. Easy to navigate like all the Spirit Class. 2.0 upgrades, great Serenity area - awesome staff and the best food I have had on any Carnival ship - even with the American Table. We did one cruise on her with and one without. I just didn't like the table set up but it's the same on any ship with the AT. Between the bread basket, the water carafe, and the wine bottle with the table number (totally unnecessary - the old little numbers were fine) and I'm one who prefers a tablecloth. It cuts down the overall noise in the MDR, keeps things from sliding around the table and it's just nicer. The tables have a high gloss - who puts a high gloss on tables on a ship that is moving and might encounter rough seas.

Anyway - give the Pride a shot! I don't think you'll regret it.

I TRIED to get him to come with me on the Pride in April, but NOOOOO, he didn't want to leave from a cold environment (it was 68 the day I left Baltimore). :D

Great (and honest!) review, Jim....I haven't cruised the Sunshine before, but have always wanted to. Love to Bella!:)

Just got off our second cruise on the Pride. IMO - it is the BEST of all the Carnival ships. The decor has the feeling of an old time ocean liner. Easy to navigate like all the Spirit Class......

.......Anyway - give the Pride a shot! I don't think you'll regret it.

Yup. That's the COMFORT we find important when choosing a place to live for 7-8 days. Have a tough time feeling squooshed by comparison on Destiny, Liberty, Freedom, Dream.....no matter where onboard you go.

Pride and Legend feel so open, there's no comparison. Unfortunately, Pride destinations after 4 times are looking a little too familiar ! Not sure about

going to Mexico, but may have to fly across country to try Miracle. (or live with feeling like a canned sardine on other Carnival ships).

Thanks for the info, just a couple questions as we plan to do the same.

1. Did you find it easy to get seats at the late comedy show ... that actually could see the stage?

2. How was Havana Bar breakfast and did they Mimosas/Bloody marys as option during breakfast times?

Thanks again.

We were also on this same cruise, our 3rd on Sunshine, I'll offer my perspective.

WE have pretty much always found it easy to get seats for the late night comedy shows, however we have a "system"....we'll head to the comedy club about 30 minutes prior to start of next show we want to see. That means we do wait an enormous 10-15 minutes in line as the current show finishes, they clear the club and let folks in for next show. So then we do sit in the club for another arduous 15 minutes or so until next show starts. And you may not believe this, but we have a couple of times arrived at the club later than we wanted to, was further back in line and took seats to the right or left of stage....so not a direct site line to comic..so when that happened, what we did was...have drinks...socialize with those around us, and when showed started.....lol'ed at the jokes worth lol'ing about.

Can't say about the drinks at the Havana Bar, but, there is really not a breakfast served at the Havana Bar. The bar does have Cuban themed breakfast pastries, filled with meats, fruit and cheeses. The omelette station is near the Havana Bar, and the areas around the Havana Bar for us are the best to sit at for breakfast. Great views out from the rear of the ship.

We were also on this same cruise, our 3rd on Sunshine, I'll offer my perspective.

WE have pretty much always found it easy to get seats for the late night comedy shows, however we have a "system"....we'll head to the comedy club about 30 minutes prior to start of next show we want to see. That means we do wait an enormous 10-15 minutes in line as the current show finishes, they clear the club and let folks in for next show. So then we do sit in the club for another arduous 15 minutes or so until next show starts.

Thanks for the information...I honestly don't mind a 30 minute wait to get good seats. I have reasonable expectations (I think) about the amount of people on the ship. I've read a lot of reviews and a little line here and there should be expected, I don't understand the complaints. We have decided to do the Cheers program so chances are I won't much care about standing in a line ...as long as its not at the bar ! :p