Stressful or relaxing???

I read a post recently in which a cruiser responded that generally their cruises were stressful.

Many others respond with " go with the flow, you are on vacation, don't worry about delayed boarding or VIP lines etc.

My question is... " In general, how are your cruising experiences?"

I understand 30 ft. waves. power outages, Noro etc. can bring stress upon a cruiser, but was the whole experience, from booking, yo planning, to getting onboard, to dining etc, all stressful, or relaxing?

We almost exclusively do Mexican Riviera now. The stress of flying to other ports is something we eliminated.

People often ask.." Are you going there, AGAIN ? "

Yes!! we go to RELAX, no cooking, cleaning. Lots of reading, good food, nice ports.

What are your general experiences, and why?

Blessings

If it was stressful there is no way we would go. I love everything about cruising! Even the planning is fun for me. We do not stress about the little things that can and do happen. Its part of the travel experience. Anytime I see someone who feels everything must go perfectly I think, "that person should not travel".

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Mine are both. I hate packing for cruises. So much to bring. Hate the hassle of travel, airports, etc.

There are some stressful parts of being on a ship with 3000 others. It can often be very crowded. Lines, crowded elevators etc.

But .... First night sunset on the Lido Deck watching the world go away makes me forget that stress even existed.

So is there stress??? yes. But for me, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me there can be stress involved in getting to the cruise with flying etc, but on the cruise, total relaxation. I find it usually takes us a day or two to find our cruise rhythm, but once we settle in, we block out the rest of the world and just enjoy being spoiled and having no responsibilities for 1 or 2 whole weeks.

If one tries to fly in the day of the sailing and fly out at 10 am the day of returning to port the entire experience will be on of total stress. Also if one books a short cruise and tries to pack a ten to fourteen days worth of events into the 5 -7 days there will be stress.

My vacations begin the minute I lock my front door and end when I return home. Always arrive a day or two before sailing and even will remain a day or two after returning.

...Where else can I do nothing all day and have everything taken care of for me....

Exactly.^^^

I was a little stressed before my first cruise which was just a little 3 day on Bahama Celebration because I imagined all kinds of problems that never happened. No seasickness, they didn't arrest me because they found out I didn't pay a traffic ticket 40 years ago, the birth certificate was fine, I remembered my toothbrush...everything was wonderful.

And now that I'm planning my second cruise I'm having nothing but excitement and anticipation. Can't wait to get on that boat and let go of everything on land.

Some stress yes, but it's usually brought on by myself. Imagining all kinds of things that can happen to cause me to miss boarding. I have in the last 2 cruises begun to get to the port city the day before, spend a relaxing night and next morning leisurely having breakfast then heading to the pier, nothing like that in the world!

The other thing that has stressed me out, is trying to do EVERYTHING on board. I don't want to miss anything. I have taken seven cruises, and have vowed each time not to do that, but I still do. ONE more time I am determined NOT to try and make every event on board and do more relaxing, people watching, reading, and just being vs. doing.

Vacations in general are relaxing. Travel in general is stressful.

"Anytime I see someone who feels everything must go perfectly I think, "that person should not travel". "

Totally agree and I think this is key. If you travel and are going to be upset if something goes wrong, stay home. Because something WILL go wrong. Maybe its minor, like flying from STL to DEN last month and having a three hour delay. Maybe not so minor like flying from Toulouse to Bangalore via Frankfurt and trying to board the plan in Frankfurt to discover the corporate travel agent hadn't actually booked that leg of the trip. Why Lufthansa gave me boarding passes in Toulouse IDK.

But there was amusement value even in that. I had to go out to the main lobby to resolve the situation. Two agents were working a line of 40-50 people. Another passenger came running up and said "I'm about to miss my plane, can I go to the front of the line?" The line, as a group, turned and said "Me too."

Edited by Wheatie59

I love cruising, the worst part for me is waiting for my luggage. In July we are carrying ours on with us, so no more stress about waiting to unpack!!!

Get on ship, collect first drink of the cruise, head directly to our cabin and unpack!! Vacation started!

You should never stress while on a vacation. IF you are on a vacation and you are stressing, then that vacation is not right for you. Seems like it is being forced. I have never stressed when I travel - airports, trains, cruise ships, parks, driving... don't matter. A vacation is a vacation.

People handle day to day life differently and what they stress about. I have a job that is stressful and I am on my guard all day. So, do I get irritated at some things while cruising...yes. Stressed, not at all. Irritated that my drink has run out for one. I let go and actually relax to the fullest. Waiting in line doesn't even bother me. I try and talk to the people around me and enjoy their conversation. I have had some really interested conversations with people.

On some cruises, I've planned every detail and excursion. This can be a little stressful, especially getting everyone in the group to agree to something. On others, I've just gone with the flow. Zero stress, and always felt like I was enjoying everything. While I know it's possible to do it the no-stress way and have a great trip, the OCD in me still wants to plan every minute.

I do stress embarkation day. I do make myself calm down, but we almost missed a ship in New Orleans once because the Lake Ponchartrain causeway was closed while we were on it.

My wife dragged her feet, deciding to hang out with friends in Covington thinking "oh we've got plenty of time" and it turned out we didn't. We were not the last to board, but we could see the last to board.

I also discovered then that the folks who say "wait until the last minute because no lines" are crazy. The line was insane at the last minute!

I will stress on embarkation day up to the point where we check in, then it's vacation mode on!

36 cruises, my experience. Booking is very easy. Pick where you want to go. Call vacation planner. Book it. Next comes the stressful part. Waiting, waiting. Packing, make sure everyone has everything needed. Double check. Got to the dock or airport on time. Wait on line to check in. Get thru security. Wait to get on the ship. Next is the best part. Get on board. Leave your cares on land. Aaahhhhh...... No stress from here on out. Relax. Eat, drink, be merry. No cooking, no cleaning. IMHO, cruising is the least stressful vacation one can take.

Yes, there is always some stress as pointed out in the previous posts. To me, it is well worth it for the blissful experience of being aboard a beautiful ship heading out to sea.

Cruising is a fantastic way to travel. Go and enjoy it! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

Heck, I'm not even gonna bring my good DSLR because I know myself well enough to know I would stress over getting great pictures instead of just enjoying what I'm taking pictures of. I'll bring a point-n-shoot and my phone cam and be blissfully unaware of shutter-speeds and f-stops and where to stand for the perfect shot.

Plus, I can take a pic with my phone and never have to put down my beer.:cool:

Nope! Like others said, I guess there is the regular stress of traveling, and I get that. But also, like others said, we've mostly eliminated that by being smart about flying in the day before and staying at a nearby hotel.

The only thing I stressed about on this last one was our son. It was his first one, and he was 12. He really hadn't been given much of a change to really do things on his own, just for various life issues in the past. So I had no idea how it would be for him, for us, etc... But he loved it, which didn't surprise me. And I found out that he would check in on occasion, he'd find one of us, or one of our friends that was with us, I never felt worried that he was lost.

I also do think there are different type of cruises. For example, this Alaska one we're taking will certainly be a different experience. We're doing much more active type excursions, getting up early for things, etc... Not that it makes it stressful, just not quite as "laying around the beach relaxing" LOL!

If cruising were stressful, I wouldn't do it. The very reason I love cruising is that it is so stress free. In "real life" I have to make many decisions that have an impact on others. On a cruise, I don,'t have to make any decision that affects anyone but me. We usually drive to port, so we don't have the stress of airports, and packing light removes the stress of hauling luggage. We don't do many excursions, so there's not much rush to get on and off the ship.

If one tries to fly in the day of the sailing and fly out at 10 am the day of returning to port the entire experience will be on of total stress. Also if one books a short cruise and tries to pack a ten to fourteen days worth of events into the 5 -7 days there will be stress.

My vacations begin the minute I lock my front door and end when I return home. Always arrive a day or two before sailing and even will remain a day or two after returning.

Please speak for yourself. I have flown in the morning of at least 30 cruises and don't experience stress about it, nor do I take anti anxiety or psychotropic meds nor drink.

If your routine does fine by you, by all means advocate for yourself. But don't try telling me what I will feel if you do my routine.