Am I wrong here? (help please!)

Tammyd549

Yesterday I found out that my daughter's school was going to start later than we thought and I decided to switch my Aug 14 cruise to Sept 11, because the dates were more convenient for me. I wasn't sure if this would even be possible so I called NCL and was told "no problem" they cancelled my first cruise (which was in Canadian dollars) and booked the new dates in US dollars (as this was going to work out cheaper for me)

On the phone for about 45 mins while all this is taking place and literally at the last minute, the NCL rep says "oh by the way, you can only apply 1 $250 credit on this cruise because it's in September, the promo that allows you to apply 2 credits to one cruise is over Aug 31"

I expressed that I did not know that earlier and he said "no problem, I can re-instate your cancelled cruise" So, I asked if I could have a little time to think about it because I had already been on the phone for 45 min and had to pick my kids up from school and was told, yes, I could have time but, I better decide "quick"

I called today and yes, they can reinstate my old reservation but UNDER NEW PRICING, which is now $600 MORE!

I'm so upset. Do I have any recourse? Doesn't re-instate sound like they are just re-instating what I had before? At no time ever was I told this was a new booking.

If I had just been told when I first called in that if I changed my reservation to September, then I would not be able to use both my credits, I would have said okay, I'll leave everything as is, thank you.

:( Not even sure what to do now. I have the Sept 11 one on hold but, I'm feeling like just ditching NCL right now.

Any/all advice is welcome, thanks.

Tammy,

I thought the entire point of what you were doing was changing to more convenient dates for your trip, so I'm not sure why the use of only 1 cruise credit matters to you for the September cruise at all. You are not losing the other cruise credit. It is only $250, not a fortune and you can still use the $250 cruise credit in the future. IMO, leave things on the September date which is more convenient for you. Think of it this way: it is not unusual for convenience to cost a bit extra and even so, you may be able to save the $250 in airfare by moving your cruise to September. There are some super cheap airfares out there right now for September. Also look for a good price on your pre-cruise hotel now and save a bit more there. You are really not losing anything. You still have a cruise credit to use on your next cruise. The last thing I would do is get all upset over $250 that you still have.

Tammy,

I thought the entire point of what you were doing was changing to more convenient dates for your trip, so I'm not sure why the use of only 1 cruise credit matters to you for the September cruise at all. You are not losing the other cruise credit. It is only $250, not a fortune and you can still use the $250 cruise credit in the future. IMO, leave things on the September date which is more convenient for you. Think of it this way: it is not unusual for convenience to cost a bit extra and even so, you may be able to save the $250 in airfare by moving your cruise to September. There are some super cheap airfares out there right now for September. Also look for a good price on your pre-cruise hotel now and save a bit more there. You are really not losing anything. You still have a cruise credit to use on your next cruise. The last thing I would do is get all upset over $250 that you still have.

Bravo! A common sense answer in looking at the whole picture!

Thanks all. I'm calmer now, just was upset that I wasn't told then was also told it could be "reinstated" (exact words) anyways, I tbink I'm going to stick with the September res. I know it's not a lot of money, just doesn't feel good when your told one thing, and then find out it means another, you know?

Also, I won't be able to use my reminding credit, it expires in Nov :(
Keep a record of this credit somewhere, because they may one day bring back the promo they had a few months ago where they were honoring expired credits for a limited time.

Or you can try selling the credit now and get your money back. Lots of people are cruising between now and November, if you want to try to work something out. Do it now, don't wait until the last minute, because you'll get a bunch of opportunistic buzzards offering you $5 for it…

Sell it

eBay

Word of mouth

To your email peeps

To a friend

Through the roll call if someone there has a friend interested

Through your Facebook

Or

On a fb page where there might be a cohesive group....like the Montreal cruisers page or something

It cost you either $125 or $150 so you can sell it for $100 or whatever and still not be losing much if you don't use it

Edited by luvtheships

Sell it for $150 (its value to you). All you have to do is have the buyer make a $150 payment against your booking (give them your Rez # & name), and you call & transfer it to their Latitudes number.

Stephen

Tammy,

Perfect answer! Life is so stressful these days - $250. shouldn't cause you so much stress! Book the Sept. 11 cruise and relax!

September in Bermuda is nicer than mid August, BA will "feel" less crowded with far less school aged "kids" onboard as most will be back in classes by then, except neighbors north of the border :D and pre-school toddlers.

Selling your remaining soon-to-expire FCR at net cost of $150 (or even $125) shouldn't be too difficult vs. losing it completely - there is a remote/slim chance of getting it extended if you book another cruise for 2017, as long as you book it before the original expiration date - there're discussion & reports of successfully doing that here on CC, do a search for it. That's after you call into NCL & escalate to a supervisor, see what they can do or make an exception or allow 2 certificates to be apply, etc. Worst case, they say "no" and you go with other options or asking nicely for extension of the certificate by booking another sailing (long odds, I know ... hey, miracles do happen, sometimes)

If I buy it from the OP it's worth 250$ off my new booking? But I pay OP 100$ American?
You get $250 off your booking (subject to conditions, but it will work for just about any future booking). The price you pay is between you and the OP, the $100 was just someone's suggestion. Someone else suggested $150. The OP probably paid $150 originally, and I don't think they would have any trouble selling it for the same price.

If I buy it from the OP it's worth 250$ off my new booking? But I pay OP 100$ American?

The op paid either $125 or $150 for the cert

She can sell it for $100 or whatever she is comfortable with if she wants and take a slight loss or sell it for what she paid for it

The cert has 6 months to go so selling for what she paid for it makes sense unless she wants to unload it now at an agreed upon price

Edited by luvtheships

• 2 weeks later...

There's another upside to changing from August to September. There will be fewer kids on board. Should your daughter chose to be in one of the kids programs she won't be one of hundreds but one of dozens. August is still prime summer vacation here in the States and the amount of kids on board could be overwhelming. September will still have enough kids to make it fun but not so many as to make it like herding cats.