San Francisco touring

Visiting san Francisco from 8am to 6 pm. My daughter and i want to tour Alcatraz as well as a city tour, she is hoping to see where Full House was filmed. Does the hop on hop off buses (if they even have them) go there? I have no clue where it is.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, you will see MANY discussions about Alcatraz. The key point there is to book in advance- it sells out.

Can't answer your question about the Full House situation- by the way, I think it is only the exterior shots only. But, in any case, the owners of the house have done much to hide the fact it is the "Full House". A lot of discussion about that locally recently.

As CruiserBruce mentions Alcatraz tours sell out months in advance.

Also if you do book one and want to tour the facility, make sure the tour does that. Many advertised tours just does a sail around.

I'm very new to Cruise Critic, but just happen to see your post. We live just outside of San Francisco. Please believe me when I say, traffic is terrible. Parking almost impossible and the buses do NOT run on time. So my point: you are really taking a chance if you try to do any touring anywhere by local bus.

This is just our personal experience. A cab (expensive compared to bus fees) might serve you better in the long run IF you know right where you are going, etc. SF is a beautiful, exciting place to visit. Good Luck!!

As a native San Franciscan let me tell you that the Hoho of which there are multiple will do you just fine if you are interested in getting a nice overview of the city. The advice for Alcatraz is spot on, you must book early as the boats sell out fast, especially on cruise days. If you can get on as early as possible to the Rock and then it will be easier to time your Hoho.

Thanks for the fabulous advice. Another question, how far is the Alcatraz boat from the cruise ship terminal?

About a 20 minute walk. Five to ten minutes by cab.

• 3 weeks later...

The location of the houses where Full House was filmed is nowhere close to the Pier. I just found an article about finding it: http://www.film-travel.com/2012/06/a-quest-find-full-house-house-san-francisco/

If you go, I suggest taking a taxi. The area has quite a reputation locally for auto break-ins, so if you drive, don't leave anything in the car!

From the cruise terminal to the Alcatraz terminal is a nice short walk. It's beautiful and worth doing on a nice day - don't Taxi!

The red hop on/hop off busses will take you to Alamo Square (where the painted ladies are - or better known as the Full House house) it'll also take you across the GG bridge and by civic center where city hall is, through golden gate park and a few other places.

I'm a local and I've done the tour a few times & love it every time! Make sure to have a jacket though or else us locals will laugh at you. (All in good fun of course!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The red hop on/hop off busses will take you to Alamo Square (where the painted ladies are - or better known as the Full House house) . . . .

Just for clarity, the Full House house is not one of the Painted Ladies. It is several blocks away from there, as explained in one of the linked pages above.

Despite Alcatraz selling out (and you should buy tickets in advance, they are even refundable!), there is a stand by/will call, but you'll need to get up early and there's no guarantee you or your entire party will get a ticket...

The "full house" house is actually for sale, maybe you could get a tour! The exterior of the house was only used in the opening credits, they filmed the show on a set...If you fill your day with other activities, things like seeing the house are quick and easy in an Uber/Taxi...

Alternatively, there are bundled tours which would include Alcatraz and Full House as part of the tour of the city...One popular tour includes Alcatraz and see the Red Wood forests which goes over the golden gate...

• 1 month later...
Despite Alcatraz selling out (and you should buy tickets in advance, they are even refundable!), there is a stand by/will call, but you'll need to get up early and there's no guarantee you or your entire party will get a ticket...

The "full house" house is actually for sale, maybe you could get a tour! The exterior of the house was only used in the opening credits, they filmed the show on a set...If you fill your day with other activities, things like seeing the house are quick and easy in an Uber/Taxi...

Alternatively, there are bundled tours which would include Alcatraz and Full House as part of the tour of the city...One popular tour includes Alcatraz and see the Red Wood forests which goes over the golden gate...

What Tour Companies do the above bundled tours of Alcatraz and Full House or Alcatraz and the Red Wood Forests ?