Has anyone ever asked at Butler to....

abbyar

lol....I have to admit I was going to flame you OP but with some of the answers I changed my view on your post. I initially took it as an elitist 1%er situation but it really isn't.

You aren't demanding that they do it. You are simply wanting to find out if anyone else has had this done for them as you would rather spend those 30 minutes doing something other than standing in a line.

I think asking with the understanding that the answer is probably going to be a polite no, you can only be pleasantly surprised or get the answer you expect. I am sure there are many variables on whether this is possible or not.

It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. I recommend asking as nicely as possible and don't get upset if the answer is no. At that point, if they aren't able to do this for you, ask if they have any suggestions.

Another possibility is to perhaps bring a nanny or other family member that would take care of these kinds of things for you while on the cruise in exchange to be able to partake in a wonderful experience.

I agree that waiting 30 minutes to check in with your children is not acceptable. So yes the OP's question is valid but perhaps it would be better to look for suggestions other than the butler. The pre cruise concierge might be a place to start and no harm in checking with your NCL PCC. At least you would get things moving.

The butler will probably lose valuable break time to accommodate a request like this. Actually I think to keep up with all the requests few butlers are able to take very many breaks.

Who would gladly offer up their child to a stranger?

The butler is Stranger Danger, but the kids club staff are not?

:confused:

I get that the kids club folks have training to look after kids, but they are no less a stranger than the butler is.

Not sure about ncl...but on ccl..it had to be a parent to check kiddos in and out...wouldn't even let our teenage daughter do it.

I would doubt the butler wiuld be allowed

I was going to say that. Here are the rules for NCL: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

"On all ships, one-time registration form is to be completed by a parent or guardian (if child is not traveling with their parent) for each child/teen age 3 - 17. Children/teens can then participate as frequently as they choose. Norwegian requests that you let the Youth Staff know if your child has allergies and/or is taking any medications by noting this on the Registration Form."

The butler is there to provide room service, pillow menu, bath menu and some do unpack and pack for you (although that seems to be more the exception than the rule on NCL.) If you hate the long line, ask the concierge for help with that as that is the concierge's responsibility - to help you not have to wait anywhere on the ship.

The butler is Stranger Danger, but the kids club staff are not?

:confused:

I get that the kids club folks have training to look after kids, but they are no less a stranger than the butler is.

If I had little ones, I wouldn't leave them in the kids club either for the same reason, but they weren't asking that question. Edited by NLH Arizona

Absolutely ask. If they can't or won't, they will tell you. The butler is there to make your life easier. I do not care that they have other rooms to service. I use my butler, within reason, as I see fit to make my vacation more enjoyable.

For somebody who claims to sail NCL so frequently (despite hating it so much), I'd have thought you'd know that the butler services IN CABIN requests.

Taking the kids to Kids Club would be a Concierge ask, as it's their role to streamline ship-wide issues.

That said, I would bet there's a legal obligation to have the parent sign the child in/out.

Stephen

Beginning with the Dolphin group, ages 10-12, kids can be given permission to sign themselves in and out of Splash Academy. That's what we've always done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My concierge, Karin, on the Sun refused for my mom and I to wait in any line. She insisted. Twice for getting my parka for Antarctica, gettin our passports, etc. i do not have kids so I am out of this one.

For somebody who claims to sail NCL so frequently (despite hating it so much), I'd have thought you'd know that the butler services IN CABIN requests.

Taking the kids to Kids Club would be a Concierge ask, as it's their role to streamline ship-wide issues.

I won't address the dig, you are just being petty. As for duties of the butler, you are completely WRONG. In general a butler will take care of in-cabin requests, but a butler will absolutely assist in many other areas, including things outside the cabin. The examples are too numerous to list.

The concierge and butler work as a team to assist suite and VIP passengers with anything they need. There are not strict rules about what they cannot or cannot do. The goal is to make the customer happy. As my post stated, ask and see what you get. All butlers and concierge are slightly different, so you never know what you will get.

Not sure about ncl...but on ccl..it had to be a parent to check kiddos in and out...wouldn't even let our teenage daughter do it.

I would doubt the butler wiuld be allowed

When we cruised NCL with family, any adult could check DS in and out. We just had to provide authorized names and cabin numbers when we registered him at the club on the first day.

Butlers officially handle in-cabin requests, but there are plenty of anecdotes on this board of them delivering drinks and sunglasses all over the ship.

On our cruise in a DOS, the low point was 30-minute-plus waits for the kids club every time. A third of the passengers were under 18. It didn't occur to me to ask the butler or concierge about a way to shorten that, but it's not an unreasonable thing to wonder with everything else posted.

The discussion has splintered in a number of ways. Depending on the age of the child, there may be different rules for sign in/out after the initial registration. Basically, there are stricter requirements for those younger than 13. Once again, the official rules are here: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

But back to the original poster's question of having the butler (or concierge) take the children to the initial registration, it is clear that is not allowed at this time. NCL requires that it be the parent or guardian. And guardian here is defined as an adult person that has responsibility over the child if the child is not traveling with his/her parent. But as long as the parent is traveling with the child, it is the parent's responsibility to bring the child to the initial registration. After that, depending on the child's age group, there are different procedures of who can pick up the child, going as easy as allowing the child to sign out himself/herself.

Why don't people just answer questions instead of getting all judgmental. Asking if something can be done isn't a crime.

Because some of the questions are so dumb they defy any reasonable expectations for normal behavior.

- Check kids into kids club? Dh's least favorite thing on NCL is the insanely long wait at kids club to check in/out. It may have been partially more irritating bc of the extremely annoying woman who handled it on our Gem sailing.

Or at least could NCL create another line for Haven/Suites to check in with priority?

Oh good grief. :rolleyes:

But back to the original poster's question of having the butler (or concierge) take the children to the initial registration, it is clear that is not allowed at this time. /QUOTE]

Actually you misinterpreted my question - this was not in regards to initial registration, nor did I mention that anywhere in my post. Not sure why it was interpreted as such. This is in regards to the day to day wait for 30 minutes plus at lunch and dinner - taking up to 2 hours a day to wait for drop off and pick up (showing up 15-20 minutes early then waiting 10 minutes until checkin complete) after breakfasts before lunch after lunch before dinner after dinner. It's time consuming and annoying.

Edited by abbyar

Beginning with the Dolphin group, ages 10-12, kids can be given permission to sign themselves in and out of Splash Academy. That's what we've always done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our youngest will be below the age of this cut off when we sail next winter, hence the question. As a previous poster noted, their concierge refused to let them wait in any lines, but as another posted also noted, their wait for club admission was the low point of their cruise, as it was for us. I'm surprised that no one else has asked this of their concierge. I would have to believe that, like with any other request, it would depend upon the concierge and that particular sailing. If we are lucky enough, perhaps there will be other kids on the same sailing also with the same concierge. If the concierge is providing a similar service to more than one party, they would be more likely to oblige. And guessing that this pain point exists for so many people, I'm betting other families would appreciate it as well. And, as I mentioned uptrend, I'm betting Haven guests would appreciate the quiet of kids being in the club instead of being noisy in the Haven.

Actually you misinterpreted my question - this was not in regards to initial registration, nor did I mention that anywhere in my post. Not sure why it was interpreted as such. This is in regards to the day to day wait for 30 minutes plus at lunch and dinner - taking up to 2 hours a day to wait for drop off and pick up (showing up 15-20 minutes early then waiting 10 minutes until checkin complete) after breakfasts before lunch after lunch before dinner after dinner. It's time consuming and annoying.

Kids are such a damn inconvenience.

I agree that waiting 30 minutes to check in with your children is not acceptable. So yes the OP's question is valid but perhaps it would be better to look for suggestions other than the butler. The pre cruise concierge might be a place to start and no harm in checking with your NCL PCC. At least you would get things moving.

The butler will probably lose valuable break time to accommodate a request like this. Actually I think to keep up with all the requests few butlers are able to take very many breaks.

Thank you for the frank reply. I will take this course.

Our youngest will be below the age of this cut off when we sail next winter, hence the question. As a previous poster noted, their concierge refused to let them wait in any lines, but as another posted also noted, their wait for club admission was the low point of their cruise, as it was for us. I'm surprised that no one else has asked this of their concierge. I would have to believe that, like with any other request, it would depend upon the concierge and that particular sailing. If we are lucky enough, perhaps there will be other kids on the same sailing also with the same concierge. If the concierge is providing a similar service to more than one party, they would be more likely to oblige. And guessing that this pain point exists for so many people, I'm betting other families would appreciate it as well. And, as I mentioned uptrend, I'm betting Haven guests would appreciate the quiet of kids being in the club instead of being noisy in the Haven.

Thanks for clarifying. I see your point. Rather than tie up NCL staff every time a Haven kid needs to go to kids club however, I could see a designated meeting place and time for the kids and then have one of the club counselors come and bring them down, similar to when you go to one of the dinner shows. How does that sound?

Thanks for clarifying. I see your point. Rather than tie up NCL staff every time a Haven kid needs to go to kids club however, I could see a designated meeting place and time for the kids and then have one of the club counselors come and bring them down, similar to when you go to one of the dinner shows. How does that sound?

Yes, DCL does it in the dining room, why doesn't NCL do it from the Haven at 10 am and 7 pm? Seems as though it would solve so many issues.

Quote "Check kids into kids club? Dh's least favorite thing on NCL is the insanely long wait at kids club to check in/out. It may have been partially more irritating bc of the extremely annoying woman who handled it on our Gem sailing."Quote

If your DH doesn't like doing it then why don't you as a DW do it and get it over with. I know you would like to feel carefree on your cruise but the least you can do is take your children to the kids club. Either that or leave your children at home with someone competent and just the two of you go.

I really find it amazing the things people expect others to do for them on a cruise. The staff...butler included... work their butts off to make the cruise awesome for everyone concerned. I wish people would realize that and not take advantage of them whether in the Haven or an inside cabin.

happytotravel