First time cruise questions

Poppylarue

Hi we are travelling on the freedom in September out of texas..

I have a few questions if anyone could help,I'd really appreciate it..

The cheers package.. Do you get this before you board? Does it start as soon as you board..

Can you go to any bar to get drinks or do you have to use certain ones? 😉

Also the food.. We have booked the casual dining plan I think where it's buffet breakfast etc..

How does this work, are you restricted to the one restaurant or can you get a sandwich for lunch instead of a full on buffet? Is this included or do you pay extra?

Do you pay extra for ice creams?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit nervous and don't want to keep asking my travel agent as think he already thinks am neurotic with all the questions I asked before we even booked it lol

Thanks

CHEERS and be purchase before you cruise, or while on the ship. Due to state laws in TX and NY, CHEERS can only be sold the second day. If you purchase CHEERS, the drinks you paid for on the first day will be credited back to you on the second day when CHEERS becomes active, and charged against it.

All of the food is included in your cruise, with the exception of the Steakhouse, which will be an upcharge. There are no restrictions on the included dining options, you can get a sandwich from the deli, fries from Guy's Burgers... Mix an match whatever you like...

Hi we are travelling on the freedom in September out of texas..

I have a few questions if anyone could help,I'd really appreciate it..

The cheers package.. Do you get this before you board? Does it start as soon as you board..

Can you go to any bar to get drinks or do you have to use certain ones? 😉

Also the food.. We have booked the casual dining plan I think where it's buffet breakfast etc..

How does this work, are you restricted to the one restaurant or can you get a sandwich for lunch instead of a full on buffet? Is this included or do you pay extra?

Do you pay extra for ice creams?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit nervous and don't want to keep asking my travel agent as think he already thinks am neurotic with all the questions I asked before we even booked it lol

Thanks

There is no casual dining plan. It's the standard where you choose to eat in the main dining room or up in the buffet. If your ship has any specialty restaurants, you can choose to dine there for a special meal if you like, but they are not that popular on a Carnival, especially being you have to pay extra for it and your meals are already included.

Hi Poppy. Glad to see you found your way over here. You'll get loads of great advice but anything else I can help you with, just post a question here. Cheers, Sandancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

CHEERS and be purchase before you cruise, or while on the ship. Due to state laws in TX and NY, CHEERS can only be sold the second day. If you purchase CHEERS, the drinks you paid for on the first day will be credited back to you on the second day when CHEERS becomes active, and charged against it.

All of the food is included in your cruise, with the exception of the Steakhouse, which will be an upcharge. There are no restrictions on the included dining options, you can get a sandwich from the deli, fries from Guy's Burgers... Mix an match whatever you like...

When I cruised from Galveston with Cheers, you could only pay for Cheers beginning with day 2. I was told that even with pre-purchase, drinks in first day not included. Did this change?

It's $5 cheaper per day if you purchase Cheers ahead of time online. But, you still won't be charged for the first day and won't be able to use it the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Perhaps by "casual dining plan" you mean anytime dining. Typically on a cruise ship dinner is served at two specific times, early (6:00 PM) and late (8:30?). Anytime dining lets you go when you want. Food choices are the same. This is served in the "main dining room", though there are typically two main dining rooms to accommodate everyone. There are numerous other food choices, though. There's always the Lido Buffet. There will be several other choices, too, but these vary by ship.Look at Carnival's web page for your ship and you can see exactly what the other choices are.

Soft serve is available on the Lido deck 24 hours a day. No extra charge. Real ice cream is available in the MDR as one of the desert choices. Pizza and room service are also 24 hours. All the other food outlets have hours.

Almost all the food is included in your fare. The exceptions are the Steakhouse, Chef's table and some items on the room service menu.

Cheers works at any bar. There are many all over the ship. Others have also explained the goofiness with Cheers out of TX. For cruises out of TX you pay for one less day then the full cruise because it doesn't work on embarkation day. You can still buy drinks, though. Purchasing ahead of time saves you $5 per day, so $30 on a seven day cruise from TX. Do be aware everyone 21 or older in your cabin must purchase Cheers or none can purchase it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say your reference to "casual dining plan" may be what Carnical refers to as anytime dining. This is specific to the time you eat on those nights you go to the Main Dining Room.

There are three choices: early seating, late seating and any time.

As others said, there is a charge to eat in the steakhouse. Choices included in your fare are the Main Dining Room, the buffet, the seaday brunch, and lots of smaller venues. You may mix and match to suit your preferences.

Perhaps by "casual dining plan" you mean anytime dining. Typically on a cruise ship dinner is served at two specific times, early (6:00 PM) and late (8:30?). Anytime dining lets you go when you want. Food choices are the same. This is served in the "main dining room", though there are typically two main dining rooms to accommodate everyone. There are numerous other food choices, though. There's always the Lido Buffet. There will be several other choices, too, but these vary by ship.Look at Carnival's web page for your ship and you can see exactly what the other choices are.

Soft serve is available on the Lido deck 24 hours a day. No extra charge. Real ice cream is available in the MDR as one of the desert choices. Pizza and room service are also 24 hours. All the other food outlets have hours.

Almost all the food is included in your fare. The exceptions are the Steakhouse, Chef's table and some items on the room service menu.

Cheers works at any bar. There are many all over the ship. Others have also explained the goofiness with Cheers out of TX. For cruises out of TX you pay for one less day then the full cruise because it doesn't work on embarkation day. You can still buy drinks, though. Purchasing ahead of time saves you $5 per day, so $30 on a seven day cruise from TX. Do be aware everyone 21 or older in your cabin must purchase Cheers or none can purchase it.

Hi thanks for your response yes that's what I mean about dining.

Thanks to all who has replied, will look into the cheers package

Many thanks again, I really appreciate it. A

Easing my nerves a bit 😉lol

HI Poppy,

I see members answered your questions. I just wanted to drop you a couple links to assist you in additional research for your voyage.

Carnival Cheers Program:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Carnival Freedom - Ship Features & Public Areas:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1472/~/carnival-freedom-(fd)-ship-features-and-public-areas

:)

HI Poppy,

I see members answered your questions. I just wanted to drop you a couple links to assist you in additional research for your voyage.

Carnival Cheers Program:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Carnival Freedom - Ship Features & Public Areas:

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1472/~/carnival-freedom-(fd)-ship-features-and-public-areas

:)

Thank you for this,iv just read through it all..very helpful 😉

There is no casual dining plan. It's the standard where you choose to eat in the main dining room or up in the buffet. If your ship has any specialty restaurants, you can choose to dine there for a special meal if you like, but they are not that popular on a Carnival, especially being you have to pay extra for it and your meals are already included.

The Steakhouse fills to capacity many nights.

In addition to dinner, the main dining room (MDR) is also available for sit down breakfasts on Port days and Sea Day Brunches on Sea days (included in your cruise fare).

At dinner, on the menu there will be a small area called, "steakhouse selections" these are available for an additional $20 per entrée. They are clearly marked.

There are also many room service items for free - including continental breakfast items as well as sandwiches, salads, and desserts. Any items with a charge are clearly notated.

Some nights there is also the "taste bar" which gives a little taste of various items from different specialty places. Sort of an included amuse bouche to enjoy.

There's also 24 hour pizza and soft service ice cream and frozen yogurt included; and a deli open 11am to 11pm.

Enjoy your cruise; when you're on the ship, when in doubt, just asked if there's a charge or if it's included - trust me, they get that question all the time.

Edited by meatloafsfan

The Steakhouse fills to capacity many nights.

I personally find the $35.00 a person for the steakhouse to be well worth it. Excellent service and wonderful meal. I am not sure if Freedom has the Cucino Del Capitano or JiJi's on it or not but either is free at lunch and $15.00 per person at night. If you book the Steakhouse on the first night of the cruise you get a free bottle of wine or 50% off of a selected wine. Take the 50% off and enjoy a better wine.