Considering other cruise lines - thoughts?

toyotaford

Were you able to get the MSC status match? I got a couple emails from them, filled out the request, waited a couple months, never heard anything, contacted them and now several months later nothing. I feel like I'm dealing with NCL Corporate and if MSC can't even answer me than they shot themselves in the foot from the get-go.

I know I saw maybe two people here on the NCL boards mention they got the match.

I've been looking around as well and just last evening filled out the info on MSC for status match. I've had no emails but read on the MSC forum that calling gets much better and faster results so will try that in a couple of days.

If we don't get the status match (Platinum/Black) then we may try a cruise or 2 anyway just to see how it goes.

Cheers and good luck ;)

Why would they care what less than 1% of the cruising population thinks? As long as ships are full and revenues/profits are where they want them to be, why change anything? The demand for cruising is there - ALL lines have increased their prices significantly in the last 24 months. According to Cruise Fish, the average price for an interior in Jan 2014 for the lines they track (Disney, NCL, RCCL, CCL, Celebrity, Cunard, and HAL) was around $135-$140 per night per person, now a tick over $150. Oceanview has increased from around $160 to about $180. Balcony from $210 to almost $250. Suites from about $360 to $385. Today's prices are roughly the same as summer of 2013 per person, per night across all categories according to their data. In other words, price of gas, labor, food has all increased, yet the base price of the cruise is relatively the same today as it was 3 years ago. In order to cover the cost increases the lines are having to increase revenues elsewhere - higher DSC, more expensive drinks, etc.

I don't know if CC amounts to less than 1% of the cruising population or not, but just like any poll or survey, none of which cover a high percentage of cruisers, it's an indication of which way the wind is blowing. If the majority of posters here, many of whom were happy with the Haven in the past, indicate that prices have risen beyond what they willing to pay, and they will be looking elsewhere, then NCL had better prick up their ears, as it's a pretty good indicator.

And we are not talking about a general $10, $20 or $30 pp/pd increase in cruise fares, or the equivalent of a few hundred dollars per cruise. With the Haven, the increase is thousands of dollars per cruise.

I don't know if CC amounts to less than 1% of the cruising population or not, but just like any poll or survey, none of which cover a high percentage of cruisers, it's an indication of which way the wind is blowing. If the majority of posters here, many of whom were happy with the Haven in the past, indicate that prices have risen beyond what they willing to pay, and they will be looking elsewhere, then NCL had better prick up their ears, as it's a pretty good indicator.

And we are not talking about a general $10, $20 or $30 pp/pd increase in cruise fares, or the equivalent of a few hundred dollars per cruise. With the Haven, the increase is thousands of dollars per cruise.

You are correct in the increase being in the thousands. Last year we did a 19 day PC cruise and are wanting to do another and take my parents this year. A 15 day is $6000 more. $6000 more for 4 days less? I can't justify that.

I've been looking around as well and just last evening filled out the info on MSC for status match. I've had no emails but read on the MSC forum that calling gets much better and faster results so will try that in a couple of days.

If we don't get the status match (Platinum/Black) then we may try a cruise or 2 anyway just to see how it goes.

Cheers and good luck ;)

Thanks for the info and I will try that. I'm definitely interested in sailing on them (their newer ships). I do see that their suites are generally smaller than NCL but the YC areas tend to look larger and it appears you get more amenities. Plus their new island (not sure when it opens) is a $200 million investment that I've read.

I will say that as much as many of us complain about the NCL website, the MSC website is making the NCL website look pretty good.

Thanks for the info and I will try that. I'm definitely interested in sailing on them (their newer ships). I do see that their suites are generally smaller than NCL but the YC areas tend to look larger and it appears you get more amenities. Plus their new island (not sure when it opens) is a $200 million investment that I've read.

I will say that as much as many of us complain about the NCL website, the MSC website is making the NCL website look pretty good.

I agree about the website and others on that forum feel the same.

When you look at the prices combined with the perks it doesn't look too bad. Smaller staterooms don't bother me but what I like is the ability to choose which level we prefer. YC is great but some with fewer perks cost fewer bux too.

Anyway just something to consider.

Just something I've noticed when pricing MSC (haven't booked one yet, though!) - do a mock booking under each of the promotions they offer. The price tends to fluctuate slightly and you may save yourself a few hundred bucks over whatever it defaults to.