Considering other cruise lines - thoughts?

toyotaford

We have been NCL loyalist for 8 years and absolutely love the product but have seen prices increase drastically in the last couple of years. We sail in suites and in the Haven if the ship has one.

The things we love about NCL is 1st and foremost its casual atmosphere. We don't enjoy dressing up on vacation.

We like the quieter setting of the Haven and like not having to fight crowds.

And we enjoy the pampering.

We are ready to book our next trip and some of the prices are double what we have paid in the past so we decided this would be a good time for look at other lines. We have traveled CCL, HAL, RCCL and Princess. As far as we know none of these lines offer the experience we are looking for.

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at Celebrity? They have special restaurants for higher categories. Also, their dress code is not near as formal as what it used to be. And the food IMHO is much better on Celebrity than NCL.

I think it will be hard to find anything similar to the Haven that NCL has to offer. These offer you own little piece of Heaven on the ship and are very private. Good Luck.

We have been NCL loyalist for 8 years and absolutely love the product but have seen prices increase drastically in the last couple of years. We sail in suites and in the Haven if the ship has one.

The things we love about NCL is 1st and foremost its casual atmosphere. We don't enjoy dressing up on vacation.

We are ready to book our next trip and some of the prices are double what we have paid in the past so we decided this would be a good time for look at other lines. We have traveled CCL, HAL, RCCL and Princess. As far as we know none of these lines offer the experience we are looking for.

Any suggestions?

Oceania :)

If you are already paying the Suite/Haven rates (especially Haven rates), then the pricing on Oceania won't shock you, although the size of the suites will for the most part be smaller than the equivalently priced suites on NCL.

(Their smaller ships have smaller accommodations; my comments refer to the larger two, the Riviera and the Marina.)

But you are describing them in your "desires": casual (referred to as "smart casual" or such), quieter, definitely not fighting crowds.

No formal wear required, ever, and open dining (not "seatings") except in the Specialties, which have regular reservations like on NCL.

As for pampering... the service is excellent everywhere, although some of the Butler services aren't quite the same - but the Butlers have *top* training and are wonderful.

What we found a bit lacking was the inability to request snacks. It just didn't work well. We kept getting the standard afternoon small treat, which we *never* really cared for.

But our reaction felt very petty to us, given the overall comfort and service level, and also the beauty of the ship.

The PH suites were smaller, but as described to us early on, they have an incredible use of space.

There are several larger suites, but they cost more, no surprise.

There is no charge for Specialty restaurants (which are excellent), but access is limited to a certain number per trip. If there is seating availability, one can use them more. That wasn't easy on a full holiday sailing.

However, suite passengers may arrange to have their Butler serve as many of those dinners en suite as desired. We made use of that!

It's probably worthwhile for you to look at Oceania, and especially their 2 larger ships.

The Riviera is gorgeous.

Have you looked at Celebrity? They have special restaurants for higher categories. Also, their dress code is not near as formal as what it used to be. And the food IMHO is much better on Celebrity than NCL.

I think it will be hard to find anything similar to the Haven that NCL has to offer. These offer you own little piece of Heaven on the ship and are very private. Good Luck.

Totally agree. Celebrity is steps up from NCL, as they are a premium line. There is nothing like the Haven, but they do have a suite restaurant and a suite lounge. And yes, the food, especially in the MDR, is much better than NCL. On my January Caribbean Celebrity cruise, a few did dress formally on the "evening chic" nights (formerly know as formal nights), but most were dressed more casually (men jackets and no tie or without jackets all together and women in cocktail dresses or what I call everyday dresses and there were even some in jeans).

I agree with the others about Celebrity. They are now our cruise line of choice but have to say that we that we look at the ports the cruise lines go to first. We also love Oceania a lot, but more expensive on every cabin/suite categories. I like Oceania's small ships. Better service-great service in fact- on smaller ships than the new larger ships. We just went on a terrible cruise with RCCL(ports great, many crew members were not) where someone at Customer Service desk told me not to expect a lot of RCCL, because they are the "cheap" cruise line. (Truth) We are sailing soon on NCL because of ports and great rates. Back to Oceania, Celebrity, and Cunard the remainder of this year. As you can tell, we LOVE cruising!

Also, Celebrity and Oceania are casual dressing, but you can dress up, but no jackets required.

FYI: Princess still requires(as of last Sept.) require jackets or long sleeved shirts for men. No special rules for women. Be sure to avoid Cunard if you do not want to dress up-they require jackets and ties most evens and black suits or tuxs for their formal nights. Women really dress up on formal nights and other nights more than office casual. Not a cruise line for those who do not to dress up.

Edited by treasure4two
More info

A lot of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and NCL suite passengers are trying out MSC's Yacht Club. I've heard great things. More affordable than the other lines and has the "ship within a ship" concept of The Haven.

I wouldn't call Celebrity or Princess a "luxury" line by any means - more of an upper-mid-range line. Definitely a step up from their parent companies (RCCL and CCL respectively), but by no means an Oceania, Azamara, etc. Honestly prices between RCCL and Celebrity aren't much different and itineraries and promos seem to be better with Celebrity for some reason.....

If you really don't want to fight crowds, look at the luxury lines. Prices won't be much different than current Haven prices. Just expect the average age of the passengers to be a bit older than NCL. For us that's a deal breaker - she's in her late 20s and I'm in my late 30s, plus our two toddlers. So for now we will sail NCL, RCCL, and will probably try out MSC next year.

A lot of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and NCL suite passengers are trying out MSC's Yacht Club. I've heard great things. More affordable than the other lines and has the "ship within a ship" concept of The Haven.

I wouldn't call Celebrity or Princess a "luxury" line by any means - more of an upper-mid-range line. Definitely a step up from their parent companies (RCCL and CCL respectively), but by no means an Oceania, Azamara, etc. Honestly prices between RCCL and Celebrity aren't much different and itineraries and promos seem to be better with Celebrity for some reason.....

If you really don't want to fight crowds, look at the luxury lines. Prices won't be much different than current Haven prices. Just expect the average age of the passengers to be a bit older than NCL. For us that's a deal breaker - she's in her late 20s and I'm in my late 30s, plus our two toddlers. So for now we will sail NCL, RCCL, and will probably try out MSC next year.[/quote

I have sailed with MSC on 8 occasions (first cruises with them were on their smaller ships but have been on Lirica, Poesia and Orchestra recently). Although I have never experienced their Yacht Club suites I have heard excellent reports of them - sounds along the lines of Haven on NCL. We opt for balcony cabins and take the Fantastica package which has a few more perks than the basic Bella Experience. There is also the Aurea Experience and the Yacht Club. I have son and his family based in Dubai so my last three cruises on MSC have been from Dubai around the Emirates. There are so many interesting places to visit and some wonderful sights. We will be sailing on MSC Fantasia in December as we want to visit some new places on the itinerary and re-visit some of our favourites.

Have never had a problem with MSC but you need to bear in mind that it is an Italian owned company and things are geared more to the European market tastes, there will be several nationalities on board (does not bother us as we like to meet people from other countries) but overall the food, service, entertainment are very good and the staff friendly and efficient.

Have you ever considered visiting the Emirates? I have sailed with MSC to most of the Mediterranean ports, the Greek Islands too.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suzanne

Have been looking at the MSC Yacht Club myself. It looks like the only haven type experience without going for the top line cruise lines.

I just took a look also.

It seemed that all the suites were the same size, and not particularly large, or maybe that was on that one ship, or maybe that's what was still "left"?

We'll ask our Travel Agent about this, as it does look promising.

Thanks!

I just took a look also.

It seemed that all the suites were the same size, and not particularly large, or maybe that was on that one ship, or maybe that's what was still "left"?

We'll ask our Travel Agent about this, as it does look promising.

Thanks!

The older ships have suites about equivalent to the Haven Courtyard penthouse (on the Jewel class).

The Seaside will have something more like an owners suite.

Nothing close to a garden villa of course.

Thank you for your thoughts. We will definitely look at the other lines mentioned.

Given the fact that most other mass market lines now offer anytime dining and relaxed dress codes, and are generally less crowded than the non-Haven accommodations on NCL, you really should explore other options since NCL seem to be pricing their comfortable accommodations well above comparables on other lines: Princess, Celebrity, and HAL.

It is frustrating to see suite and Haven prices up tremendously and the daily upsell threads on CC where people are initiating an upsell at a fraction of the cost. Used to be that you had to wait for the call from her highness the upsell fairy.

It is no wonder those threads are frequent. The NCL suite customer base is changing. So it seems.

Edited by DMH15

... NCL loyalist for 8 years ...

.... We have traveled CCL, HAL, RCCL and Princess. As far as we know none of these lines offer the experience we are looking for.

Any suggestions?

For EXACTLY what you want you're probably going to need to stick with NCL.

Do keep in mind the dress has become far more casual on the lines that you've cruised than it was in the past. ;)

If you are looking for a luxury line, I'd go with Crystal. Their two ships received an 82% and 85% rating for those who loved it and averaged 4 stars in the CC review section. Whereas MSC (I looked at 2 ships per category) received 45% to 59% rating for those who loved it and only got 3 1/2 stars.

Crystal still has formal nights, but they have reduced it down from 2 to 1 for a 7 day cruise and the other nights are pretty much resort casual (jackets and ties are not required). They are all inclusive when it comes to specialty dining, gratuities, drinks (high end liquor does cost). The food is 100% times better than NCL and Celebrity both.

If you are looking for a luxury line, I'd go with Crystal. Their two ships received an 82% and 85% rating for those who loved it and averaged 4 stars in the CC review section. Whereas MSC (I looked at 2 ships per category) received 45% to 59% rating for those who loved it and only got 3 1/2 stars.

Crystal still has formal nights, but they have reduced it down from 2 to 1 for a 7 day cruise and the other nights are pretty much resort casual (jackets and ties are not required). They are all inclusive when it comes to specialty dining, gratuities, drinks (high end liquor does cost). The food is 100% times better than NCL and Celebrity both.

The fact that Crystal fares are nearly triple those of MSC should also be factored into the booking decision.

Any suggestions?

You basically feel the same way I have been feeling/thinking about NCL. I've only sailed NCL in suites and Haven and I'm platinum but the prices have gotten out of hand for suites and The Haven. I'm a teacher so right off the bat I pay premium prices to begin with bc I can only sail during holiday breaks and summer. Last month (April) I tried RCCL for the first time bc I was able to get a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis for $2,000 less than I would pay on the Escape for a Haven Spa suite. One thing I have to say from my experience sailing on RCCL last month, no one does the suite/Haven experience like NCL. The Oasis ship was amazing, my cabin was beyond amazing and I never felt crowded on the ship (sold out sailing) like I feel at times on NCL. NCL's service and food is MUCH better than RCCL but the prices of the suites are getting very expensive. The rates I used to pay for the Haven are now doubled. My heart is with NCL but the prices are pricing me to sail on RCCL in suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I feel the same way. We've been huge NCL fans, but the rates and this Free at Sea nonsense are going to force us to look elsewhere. I guess we can hope they read the boards here. But I doubt it.

I feel the same way. We've been huge NCL fans, but the rates and this Free at Sea nonsense are going to force us to look elsewhere. I guess we can hope they read the boards here. But I doubt it.

Why would they care what less than 1% of the cruising population thinks? As long as ships are full and revenues/profits are where they want them to be, why change anything? The demand for cruising is there - ALL lines have increased their prices significantly in the last 24 months. According to Cruise Fish, the average price for an interior in Jan 2014 for the lines they track (Disney, NCL, RCCL, CCL, Celebrity, Cunard, and HAL) was around $135-$140 per night per person, now a tick over $150. Oceanview has increased from around $160 to about $180. Balcony from $210 to almost $250. Suites from about $360 to $385. Today's prices are roughly the same as summer of 2013 per person, per night across all categories according to their data. In other words, price of gas, labor, food has all increased, yet the base price of the cruise is relatively the same today as it was 3 years ago. In order to cover the cost increases the lines are having to increase revenues elsewhere - higher DSC, more expensive drinks, etc.

Yes the prices are getting way out of hand. I just came back from the GEM sailing in a penthouse suite booked 1.5 years ago when the prices were reasonable. I have only sailed NCL but I have recently booked a Celebrity cruise for next year as NCL out of NYC (to Bermuda) was priced too high. I am planning on a cruise out of Florida in November and will look at NCL but will book based on best deal.

You basically feel the same way I have been feeling/thinking about NCL. I've only sailed NCL in suites and Haven and I'm platinum but the prices have gotten out of hand for suites and The Haven. I'm a teacher so right off the bat I pay premium prices to begin with bc I can only sail during holiday breaks and summer. Last month (April) I tried RCCL for the first time bc I was able to get a Crown Loft Suite on the Oasis for $2,000 less than I would pay on the Escape for a Haven Spa suite. One thing I have to say from my experience sailing on RCCL last month, no one does the suite/Haven experience like NCL. The Oasis ship was amazing, my cabin was beyond amazing and I never felt crowded on the ship (sold out sailing) like I feel at times on NCL. NCL's service and food is MUCH better than RCCL but the prices of the suites are getting very expensive. The rates I used to pay for the Haven are now doubled. My heart is with NCL but the prices are pricing me to sail on RCCL in suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was just on the Allure of the Seas. I have to agree that the ship never felt crowded except when leaving the theater. But all ships are crowded at that point.

Loved the Adults only area with huge pool and huge hot tubs. Very serene and peacefull

I must disagree with the post I quoted on the food. We felt the food was far superior to NCL. And I've been an NCL loyal cruiser for about 10 years. Our opinion was the food in the main dining rooms was on par to the Specialty dining restaurants on NCL. For that reason, we never went to any of the specialty restaurants except one afternoon when we went to the Mexican restaurant for table side guacamole. But saying all this. We all must remember that food is highly subjective.

I have cruised in all cabin types on NCL from studios, to insides, to balconies to suites. Haven penthouse and Haven 2 bedroom. Currently have NCL booked for 2 different Haven suites and I also have 2 other cruises booked in Insides. We also have MSC booked, one in an aft balcony and on in the Yacht Club and finally we have another RCI booked on the Harmony. We are pretty set through 2018.

I have seen a lot of good reports about MSC recently. They offer status match and those who have sailed on MSC recently have a lot of good things to say about it.

Were you able to get the MSC status match? I got a couple emails from them, filled out the request, waited a couple months, never heard anything, contacted them and now several months later nothing. I feel like I'm dealing with NCL Corporate and if MSC can't even answer me than they shot themselves in the foot from the get-go.

I know I saw maybe two people here on the NCL boards mention they got the match.