What is the Sun doing in Juneau?

Answer to own question:

Juneau port webcam now shows tenders arriving.

I didn't know Juneau was a tender port for NCL.

Always, or just when there are more than 3 ships in port?

Thanks!

I have no idea, but when Holland came in, they docked and an ambulance came across the dock and down a ramp to a lower level,

I have no idea, but when Holland came in, they docked and an ambulance came across the dock and down a ramp to a lower level,

Ah, I did see that.

Was the HAL ship supposed to tender instead?

If so, that certainly makes sense.

But my other question stands... can only 3 ships dock in Juneau?

Thank goodness the day we'll be there, only 3 ships are scheduled.

NCL and Celebrity tender sometimes in Juneau .

If too many ships for berths someone has to tender.

Any way to tell from the port schedule codes which ships are expected to tender?

If HAL doesn't usually tender, does that mean that NCL Sun was scheduled to dock today?

Just curious... trying to figure all of this out ;)

The only time we've tendered (so far) was in places where all ships would have to tender.

Thanks!

Any way to tell from the port schedule codes which ships are expected to tender?
See this page for the 2016 schedules and a link to the berth codes for Alaska. This 2014 schedule has the codes and a maps of the berths in Juneau (page 2). It looks like there are 6 berths, but not all of them can accommodate a huge cruise ship. The codes for ships at anchor are AIF, AMP, and ASD. As always, no matter what the schedules say, there is always a chance of last minute changes and your ship may not be where it was originally expected to be… Edited by hawkeyetlse

See this page for the 2016 schedules and a link to the berth codes for Alaska. This 2014 schedule has the codes and a maps of the berths in Juneau (page 2). It looks like there are 6 berths, but not all of them can accommodate a huge cruise ship. The codes for ships at anchor are AIF, AMP, and ASD. As always, no matter what the schedules say, there is always a chance of last minute changes and your ship may not be where it was originally expected to be…

Thanks.

I hadn't seen that list of the codes.

It looks like the Sun was scheduled to tender from the start.

We are on the Sun in Juneau. We were the 4th ship into port and tendered. The captain announced that was going to happen last night. Having an awesome time so far!

Thanks.

(Turns out the Port schedule had the tendering planned, but we hadn't known that.)

We are watching "you" with envy and anticipation... just about 2 more weeks (tomorrow), and we'll be there.

Just watching the Star Princess sail away now.

Our first trip to Alaska.

Now that it is getting so close... it's difficult to wait. :)

We are also trying to watch the Sun's Bridgecam, which will help us stay with you...

Thanks.

(Turns out the Port schedule had the tendering planned, but we hadn't known that.)

We are watching "you" with envy and anticipation... just about 2 more weeks (tomorrow), and we'll be there.

Just watching the Star Princess sail away now.

Our first trip to Alaska.

Now that it is getting so close... it's difficult to wait. :)

We are also trying to watch the Sun's Bridgecam, which will help us stay with you...

I will try and upload the dailies Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning for you. Juneau sucked, we walked 4 miles then went back to the ship for dinner. The whole back of the ship smells like sewage. Captain and crew are great. No wait for drinks or restaurants. Moderno also sucked. We have a forward facing romance penthouse suite. We are totally being spoiled by the butler and concierge. Wind is not bad on the balcony. Can't wait to see Skagway tomorrow!

I will try and upload the dailies Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning for you. Juneau sucked, we walked 4 miles then went back to the ship for dinner. The whole back of the ship smells like sewage. Captain and crew are great. No wait for drinks or restaurants. Moderno also sucked. We have a forward facing romance penthouse suite. We are totally being spoiled by the butler and concierge. Wind is not bad on the balcony. Can't wait to see Skagway tomorrow!

Thanks.

What deck are you on?

Too bad that sewage smell is still there (or is 'back'?).

There have been quite a few comments about it.

(One would have hoped that during dry dock, NCL could have attended to the plumbing... Sigh.)

We have a lengthy excursion out of Juneau, but nothing major in the other ports. We've also got a long excursion in Seward, the day after the cruise.

We are especially eager for Glacier Bay, and then hopefully Hubbard Glacier.

Hope you enjoy the other ports more!

Thanks.

What deck are you on?

Too bad that sewage smell is still there (or is 'back'?).

There have been quite a few comments about it.

(One would have hoped that during dry dock, NCL could have attended to the plumbing... Sigh.)

We have a lengthy excursion out of Juneau, but nothing major in the other ports. We've also got a long excursion in Seward, the day after the cruise.

We are especially eager for Glacier Bay, and then hopefully Hubbard Glacier.

Hope you enjoy the other ports more!

Deck 8, starboard corner front. Good that you booked an excursion cause there wasn't much here. Stormy seas last night, lots of people sick lol. We have the white pass rail excursion in the morning. Can't wait. The sports bar and tapas bar are great. Had to go to the desk earlier, our account showed over $500 in alcohol purchases but she turned on our UBP and zeroed it out.

The whole back of the ship smells like sewage.

Kick up a real fuss. This was the case a lot of the trip from Valparaiso to San Francisco. There were lots of complaints on board and nothing was done.

Mike

Kick up a real fuss. This was the case a lot of the trip from Valparaiso to San Francisco. There were lots of complaints on board and nothing was done.

Mike

That has been a problem for years - if they haven't fixed it by now what are they supposed to do? Either they can't fix it or they just don't care.

Mike

Nothing can be done. It has to do with the location of the vents in the system.

Nothing can be done. It has to do with the location of the vents in the system.

I am so glad we booked our cabin towards the front. I knew it was an older ship when I booked it so hopefully we will have so much fun and not care :-) We will also be wearing our ear patches to prevent motion sickness. You never know when rough water will hit.

Hoping to have the dailies posted for you tonight or in the morning. The airline lost our luggage on the way back and it wasn't delivered until right before I had to leave for work this morning. My apologies!

Hoping to have the dailies posted for you tonight or in the morning. The airline lost our luggage on the way back and it wasn't delivered until right before I had to leave for work this morning. My apologies!

Thanks!

Glad that your luggage showed up, and if the luggage must take a side tour, it's probably very thoughtful of it (with airline's kind assistance :eek:) not to do that en route to the start of your trip!

Which ports did you see?

We are doing what I think is the first one way north, so I don't know if that makes any difference at the first ports.

We leave this weekend, and can't wait!

Thanks!

Glad that your luggage showed up, and if the luggage must take a side tour, it's probably very thoughtful of it (with airline's kind assistance :eek:) not to do that en route to the start of your trip!

Which ports did you see?

We are doing what I think is the first one way north, so I don't know if that makes any difference at the first ports.

We leave this weekend, and can't wait!

We went to Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Were supposed to do Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier, but it was too icy so we went to Endicott Arm and a different glacier instead. All in all, we loved the Sun, the staff and almost all of our dining options were fantastic!