Suggestions for Princess

redtogo

Just what the world needs is laundry police.....we were just on a 4 week cruise and I would not know how a passenger would know what others were doing with their laundry....there is just so much rumor, speculation and cruise lore on cruise ships....:rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree. Having been on a couple of cruises when Elite passengers were sending out multiple (5-7) bags a day every day which affected everyone sending out laundry, something has to be done. When you pack expecting to get laundry back in about 48 hours but it takes 7-8 days due to abuse, there's a problem. My steward was in tears and told me that the clothing being sent out by some of his passengers were in a wide variety of sizes, from very small to very large adults. It's not speculation or rumor but fact. I saw it myself. The stewards see the clothing hanging up and they return the laundry so they know exactly what's going on.
I agree with you but what steward would be willing to tell their cabin guests that they have maxed out their free laundry? I'm sure they would fear losing the tip they so depend on.
The stewards used to report it to their supervisor and the items not belonging to the passengers were charged to the passenger's folio. Do a search and you'll find outraged posts by people who were furious they were charged for sending out other people's clothing. Edited by Pam in CA

Princess needs to redesign policies to regain control and make cruising a pleasant experience for all passengers.

I also suggested that Princess begin charging a nominal fee for the entertainers and production shows.

Too many things on the ships have gotten out of hand. There needs to be a way to control the crowds. Staff can only do so much and be in only one place at a time.

Sorry, OP, but what you're proposing sounds a lot more like boot camp than a "pleasant experience for all passengers." Are you sure you actually like ocean cruising? Perhaps a river cruise and/or smaller ships would suit you better? (That's not snark, that's an honest to goodness question.)

Charging ANYTHING extra for services that are already included (like entertainment) is simply going to penalize everyone for the misbehavior of a minority of passengers. Do some cruisers act like Neanderthals with no manners? Sure. Does the majority act in selfish and annoying ways? I don't think so. Considering how many passengers are on some of the bigger ships, I think it's amazing that there isn't more to pick apart than idiots saving seats in the theater. The laundry issue could be a biggie, especially for longer cruises. But I pack mostly things I can rinse out and dry overnight, so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

Think about the smaller ship suggestion. Smaller crowds, smaller problems.

I usually don't read all responses but did so here. Glad to see CCs voted down this proposal 100%.

I agree with all of you, would not want any of these changes implemented.

We are elite, don't use the laundry except to have a Tux or jacket pressed sometimes... I am sure there are lots of folks like us that have never abused laundry. I am sure it balances out.

My personal opinion is that Princess is so disorganized there isn't much that can help. I'd start with important things first like basic communication.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I respectfully disagree. Having been on a couple of cruises when Elite passengers were sending out multiple (5-7) bags a day every day which affected everyone sending out laundry, something has to be done. When you pack expecting to get laundry back in about 48 hours but it takes 7-8 days due to abuse, there's a problem. My steward was in tears and told me that the clothing being sent out by some of his passengers were in a wide variety of sizes, from very small to very large adults. It's not speculation or rumor but fact. I saw it myself. The stewards see the clothing hanging up and they return the laundry so they know exactly what's going on.

The stewards used to report it to their supervisor and the items not belonging to the passengers were charged to the passenger's folio. Do a search and you'll find outraged posts by people who were furious they were charged for sending out other people's clothing.

We have always been told by our cabin stewards that when a cruise is Elite heavy not to expect your laundry back for at least two days. On the recent transatlantic there was a printed note in our stateroom saying that because of number of Elites on board "72 hours" would be the laundry norm....to me it has more to do with number of Elites versus abuse that slows down the system....

You know, I really love cruising but there is one thing that would make my experience so much better. It is probably a logistical nightmare and would be shot down by many others, including port workers, maybe cabin stewards, Princess management, etc.

But -- here's my wish:

I really wish we had the option to stay onboard until early afternoon and not have to vacate our rooms until noon on the last day of the cruise. Boarding wouldn't begin until 4 PM and they could roll out around 9PM or 10PM when everyone was onboard.

Now, before flaming me ... my suggestion in no way would make this happen or even be considered. But every time I hit that last day of the cruise, I just dread getting up so early and finish packing up my stuff, then fighting the crowds up in the oceanview for my last meal EVER!! LOL

Instead of being my wish ... I am going to call it my fantasy. :D

PS -- I did do a sailing where we spent the first night in the embarkation port. For people that don't want to spend an extra night in a hotel prior to the cruise, this worked out perfectly for them. One full night on each end of the cruise in the embarkation / disembarkation port ... now I call that my super fantasy!!

Princess needs to redesign policies to regain control and make cruising a pleasant experience for all passengers.

I have made the suggestion to Princess that they begin to set a limit on the benefits that are already in place, plus a few other changes. For example, we all know that at one time the internet was unlimited. Ahem.... now minutes are based on the length of the cruise no matter how many times/days you have sailed. My recommendation to Princess was to do this with the free laundry as well. Depending on the length of the cruise, set an amount that is free. When that amount is "used up", charge for the laundry. So, if I get $150 worth of free laundry, for example, after I use up my quota - I get charged. (The charge already is posting on the shipboard accounts and then being credited back. So that would not be an issue or problem keeping track.)

Another suggestion that I had was to start issuing tickets for the Princess theater. When you show up for a show, each person PRESENT, gets a ticket. Row K, Seat 14 (for example) same as in a real theater at home. Then there would be none of this saving seats, etc that is going on. On our last cruise a family of three saved 5 seats so that if someone tall sat in front of them that they would have option to "move over" a seat in either direction. Abuse, short and simple, abuse of the production shows.

I also suggested that Princess begin charging a nominal fee for the entertainers and production shows.

I also suggested that when something occurs that sets a time restraint, such as clearing customs in a foreign port, that cruise cards be scanned at the point of entry like they are for the safety drill. If it isn't the person's/group's time to be at the event, they would not be allowed to enter because their allotted time would be assigned through their cruise card.

Another suggestion is regarding people who purchased and are on Princess organized shore excursions should be in one lounge together for tender tickets. Those who do not have Princess organized shore excursions would be in another area to receive tender tickets.

Too many things on the ships have gotten out of hand. There needs to be a way to control the crowds. Staff can only do so much and be in only one place at a time.

How about you just book another cruise line?

Put me down as another who doesn't agree with the OP.

Maybe before coming up with suggestions, the OP should check out the facts, such as the one about those on ship excursions in tender ports needing to meet elsewhere. Your ticket actually will tell you that your entire party needs to be in the Princess Theater or another location at the meeting time so the everyone on that excursion is on the same tender.

Don't know about the laundry situation as we're not elite yet, but I wouldn't trust the ship's laundry with washing some of my clothes.

As for the other statements, it seems like the OP is inventing problems that don't usually exist. And some, such as the issuing of tickets for shows, would require staff to check tickets and make sure everyone is in the right seat. Less staff is needed and should be utilize to make sure massive seat saving isn't going on -- I think many of us would be for that (except the habitual selfish people who are into seat saving).

Perhaps the OP would be better off staying home and not cruising anymore These ideas are ludicrous. Those of us who have paid a fortune cruising over the past couple decades have earned our "free" laundry perk and it works quite nicely for the most part. So WHAT if I wish to send out 100 socks or 200 pairs of underpants during the course of a one-month cruise? It's MY business what I send, as long as I am not sending off other people's laundry along with my own. If you didn't like the showroom situation you were free to leave.

OP, perhaps you enjoying dining in the MDR every day for all three meals. Might I suggest that Princess limit you to a choice of either breakfast, lunch or dinner? See, it works both ways You want to cut things from us but how would you like things being cut from you? Your arbitrary suggestions are just that, and I haven't read the replies yet, but I bet my opinion is in the majority

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow!!! I'm really, really, glad redtogo didn't "suggest" that the Shareholder

OBC benefits be discontinued. They must have forgotten about that one.

Also, just wondering how a cabin can send out 6 bags of laundry a day. We always just get one bag a day to be filled with the dirty stuff.

Also, just wondering how a cabin can send out 6 bags of laundry a day. We always just get one bag a day to be filled with the dirty stuff.

Regarding the 6 bags of laundry being sent out at one time,

Perhaps passengers had been on a long land trip before boarding the ship in Europe or something. It isn't hard to amass a lot of laundry in a short period of time, especially for us fluffier-built passengers

Not as many items of clothing will fit in one bag so we need to use more bags.

Edited by 4cats4me

I disagree with the suggestions the OP made.

Not only will they make a cruise less pleasant but they will cost the cruise line in manpower needed to enact the suggestions and cause major dissatisfaction by the customers. Were the suggestions adopted I would not be able to afford cruising on this line.

Regarding the 6 bags of laundry being sent out at one time,

Perhaps passengers had been on a long land trip before boarding the ship in Europe or something. It isn't hard to amass a lot of laundry in a short period of time, especially for us fluffier-built passengers

Not as many items of clothing will fit in one bag so we need to use more bags.

Being of the fluffy variety myself I can attest that 2-3 days of clothes from 2 passengers will fit in a laundry bag with room to spare.

Even when cleaning necessities for post cruise travel, I can't recall that we ever sent in two bags at a time.

I like the idea of gross abusers of the Elite benefit being charged for their excess laundry, with someone from the Purser's Office being the communicator, not the poor steward. The Purser has the ability to interface with the Captain's Circle host(ess) to determine who has cruised enough to be Elite, and where exceptions might be called for (medical, etc.).

The "free laundry" is definitely out of control and in Harms Way of being revoked. We had conversation with the Maitre'd of the Hotel on a recent voyage and he told us that there was one cabin that turned in 30 bags of laundry on a 10 day voyage./QUOTE]

Why would the maitre d' know or care about passenger laundry?

It's a little out of his area.

Pleasant?????? I don't think so. I'd vote for ridiculous on all counts. These ideas must be the thoughts of someone who is OCD, and has too great a need for controlling everything and everyone in their environment.

I have made the suggestion to Princess that they begin to set a limit on the benefits that are already in place, plus a few other changes. For example, we all know that at one time the internet was unlimited. Ahem.... now minutes are based on the length of the cruise no matter how many times/days you have sailed. My recommendation to Princess was to do this with the free laundry as well. Depending on the length of the cruise, set an amount that is free. When that amount is "used up", charge for the laundry. So, if I get $150 worth of free laundry, for example, after I use up my quota - I get charged. (The charge already is posting on the shipboard accounts and then being credited back. So that would not be an issue or problem keeping track.)

Leave the free laundry and free internet schemes alone, please!! Theyare earned perks for Elites that are working just fine as they are currently set up.

Another suggestion that I had was to start issuing tickets for the Princess theater. When you show up for a show, each person PRESENT, gets a ticket. Row K, Seat 14 (for example) same as in a real theater at home. Then there would be none of this saving seats, etc that is going on. On our last cruise a family of three saved 5 seats so that if someone tall sat in front of them that they would have option to "move over" a seat in either direction. Abuse, short and simple, abuse of the production shows.

Silly and impractical on so many levels,

Nonsense!!

I also suggested that when something occurs that sets a time restraint, such as clearing customs in a foreign port, that cruise cards be scanned at the point of entry like they are for the safety drill. If it isn't the person's/group's time to be at the event, they would not be allowed to enter because their allotted time would be assigned through their cruise card.

Huh??

Another suggestion is regarding people who purchased and are on Princess organized shore excursions should be in one lounge together for tender tickets. Those who do not have Princess organized shore excursions would be in another area to receive tender tickets.

??? Totally unnecessary! PAX booked on Princess excursions are alreay meeting at a place and time designated on the tickets and boarding the tenders as a group.

Princess already does a fine job of crowd management.

Cruisers nned to be flexible and not expect EVERYTHING to happen on THEIR personal schedule.

If OP wants to create reasons for the prices to be increased, I''d suggest THEY choose a luxury cruise line, and leave Princess pricing alone.

( Please note: All the responses in red are JMHO)

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here!!

The Princess disembarkment procedure is much more complicated than it has to be....they should look at they way Disney does it!!

If you are eating at the early dinner you go to the dining room you had dinner in the night before for breakfast at an assigned time ( i.e.7:00am), later dinner then your breakfast is at 8....and so on. Once your done you just walk off the ship...

The dining staff gets you in and out within 30-45min....they do hurry you along they don't encourage sitting for hours having more coffee!

If you need to catch an early flight you can just walk off the ship once it clears customs. Same if they are providing transportation, just walk to the bus that is going your way (i.e airport or a Disney resort, etc)

The cynical part of me says it is due to some elites doing laundry for their friends and family members.....

Bob