Oasis the good bad and the ugly

Just back from Eastern Caribbean on Oasis. The good: the ship is large and also beautiful. Embarkation was quick and smooth. Very well organized considering the number of passengers and what it must take for that kind of a coordinated massive effort to transfer passengers and equipment. We were husband and wife traveling with 3 teenage grandsons. You haven't lived until you cruise with 3 teenagers who really do not like each other that much. The first negative was during check in we had booked all 5 for 6PM seating in MDR for dinner. When we checked our sea passes 3 of us were in 6PM and 2 of us were set for any time seating. That caused some issues which involved a trip to customer relations then also to the MDR to arrange for a new table assignment. Which seemed to cause some of the MDR staff some discomfort. We had given the grandsons a royal refreshment package and their cups were in the cabins waiting. I had determined through reading on cruise critic where I was under the impression the only place to get refills for soda was at the few coke machines. this is not factual anyone with coke on their sea passes can get soda refills at any bar or locations that have soda. They never used the coke machines. However having said that everywhere they went they as well as adults were left waiting as all the bartenders tended to wait on the alcohol drinkers first and tended to ignore those just wanting soda. This was especially true in the solarium bar.

Food: We found the food quality to be average and one of the guests at our MDR table referred to it as wedding food. The escargot came with a layer of cheese covering it so you had to scrape that away in order to find the snails. The best meal we had was at Giovannis with a wonderful waiter named Jimmy. He came to the table introduced himself and then asked each of us our names. After a few minutes waiting on other tables he returned and asked each of us what we would like and referred to us by name. Maybe the best waiter I have ever had. I have to ask myself why when there is a lot of activity near the flow riders and the basketball court area why is the outlook cafe only open from 1to3:30? Why does Windjammer close down during changeover and then close for good at 9PM? We are not foodies but found this disturbing. Some of the staff on Oasis were rude but some great. Our room steward Ashley was great and was more than adequately compensated after I observed the boys cabin condition daily. Hey I didn't raise them only entertain them. There was one very rude staff member at Sorrentos.On a positive note I had researched the Americas cup race excursion in St. Marten and it was well worth the money. Now I know this review will be agreed to by some and others will look for excuses why this is. I for one just share my experience but end up saying it is back to Celebrity for us.

Oh yeah...you do NOT have to use the soda machines OR carry your cup around to get soda with a package! I understand why bartenders would wait on the folks wanting drinks before getting soda...especially for kids! it's a money issue. Not saying it's right...just saying I understand why!

Yes...they have odd hours for many of the "included" eating venues....don't understand it, but it's been that way forever!

As far as the crew remembering names...I can barely remember my good friend's names...HOW do they do it????

...Why does Windjammer close down during changeover and then close for good at 9PM? We are not foodies but found this disturbing. ....

Thanks for the report.

Maybe you missed Cafe Promenade which is open 24 hours, and Sorrento's which open late.

Just back from Eastern Caribbean on Oasis. The good: the ship is large and also beautiful. Embarkation was quick and smooth. Very well organized considering the number of passengers and what it must take for that kind of a coordinated massive effort to transfer passengers and equipment. We were husband and wife traveling with 3 teenage grandsons. You haven't lived until you cruise with 3 teenagers who really do not like each other that much. The first negative was during check in we had booked all 5 for 6PM seating in MDR for dinner. When we checked our sea passes 3 of us were in 6PM and 2 of us were set for any time seating. That caused some issues which involved a trip to customer relations then also to the MDR to arrange for a new table assignment. Which seemed to cause some of the MDR staff some discomfort. We had given the grandsons a royal refreshment package and their cups were in the cabins waiting. I had determined through reading on cruise critic where I was under the impression the only place to get refills for soda was at the few coke machines. this is not factual anyone with coke on their sea passes can get soda refills at any bar or locations that have soda. They never used the coke machines. However having said that everywhere they went they as well as adults were left waiting as all the bartenders tended to wait on the alcohol drinkers first and tended to ignore those just wanting soda. This was especially true in the solarium bar.

Food: We found the food quality to be average and one of the guests at our MDR table referred to it as wedding food. The escargot came with a layer of cheese covering it so you had to scrape that away in order to find the snails. The best meal we had was at Giovannis with a wonderful waiter named Jimmy. He came to the table introduced himself and then asked each of us our names. After a few minutes waiting on other tables he returned and asked each of us what we would like and referred to us by name. Maybe the best waiter I have ever had. I have to ask myself why when there is a lot of activity near the flow riders and the basketball court area why is the outlook cafe only open from 1to3:30? Why does Windjammer close down during changeover and then close for good at 9PM? We are not foodies but found this disturbing. Some of the staff on Oasis were rude but some great. Our room steward Ashley was great and was more than adequately compensated after I observed the boys cabin condition daily. Hey I didn't raise them only entertain them. There was one very rude staff member at Sorrentos.On a positive note I had researched the Americas cup race excursion in St. Marten and it was well worth the money. Now I know this review will be agreed to by some and others will look for excuses why this is. I for one just share my experience but end up saying it is back to Celebrity for us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We were on the week after you. I think you are referring to the Wipeout Cafe and its hours. We went to the Wipeout for breakfast many mornings so it was open more than just 1 to 3:30. I did think they could have it open more hours though but we just went to Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade instead.

As far as the crew remembering names...I can barely remember my good friend's names...HOW do they do it????

Probably some hi tech solution is in place, like writing it down!

We also enjoyed breakfast at Johnny Rockets- no charge for breakfast and you get a really nice fresh served meal. I think you need to do homework before you sail on any ship. We do and get the inside information and the schedule. The first time on the Oasis, we didn't realize you are best to book your shows and speciality restaurants in advance- so we had to wait for some shows and dine at times which wouldn't be our first choice- Now, we have all of the information we need to manage the system successfully on all cruise lines-

Some quick thoughts. As far as cafe on promenade being open as well as sorentos after 9PM I cannot imagine that as a viable option for a ship of this size with 5000 passengers.

My bad the name of the cafe I mentioned was in fact the Wipeout cafe. I realize it was open in the morning but I was referring to the afternoon hours as that was by far the busiest time of the flow riders as well as ping pong and various activities at the basketball court.

As far as the coke passes I also witnessed adults being forced to wait for enough time where they had to speak up and ask for refills this was not just with kids.

Lastly the waiter I named did not write down the names he made it his business to remember all the names of those he waited on. Quite impressive.

Maybe RC should consult you the next time and adjust their hours according to what you feel is correct? I'm mad as hell that chick fil-a isn't open on Sunday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why the snarky attitude? The poster was simply making an observation based on her experience. :confused:

Why the snarky attitude? The poster was simply making an observation based on her experience. :confused:

They didn't just make an observation, but found the hours "disturbing", feel free to read their post again. I was hoping for an objective opinion! Hours of operation not to your liking become disturbing? Really?

They didn't just make an observation, but found the hours "disturbing", feel free to read their post again. I was hoping for an objective opinion! Hours of operation not to your liking become disturbing? Really?

Reviews by their very nature are subjective. If you disagree with the OP, you can state your case in a pleasant tone.

Reviews by their very nature are subjective. If you disagree with the OP, you can state your case in a pleasant tone.

So you are now you criticizing my subjective opinion with your subjective opinion.....hmmm

We had given the grandsons a royal refreshment package and their cups were in the cabins waiting. I had determined through reading on cruise critic where I was under the impression the only place to get refills for soda was at the few coke machines. this is not factual anyone with coke on their sea passes can get soda refills at any bar or locations that have soda.

You lost ALL credibility with this statement, IMO.

Every single thread about the drink packages says you do NOT have to have the cup or use the Freestyle machines in order to get soda with any drink package -- just show your card at any bar. :rolleyes: