Single parent traveling with 14 year old

GBARRE2780

I haven't found anything recent since 2012 regarding traveling with a minor and the requirements. Recently my daughters dad and I renewed her passport which we was a pain the ass becausee we do not get along :mad: and he procrastinates on purpose to piss me off. He doesn't have a problem with me taking our daughter on vacation but will give me a hard time to sign any documents to the point that he will give it to me the day before. My question is do I truly need a notarized letter from him for a closed loop cruise (4 day to Mexico)? has anyone been on recently where they've asked for the letter? I called Carnival and the rep was certain all she needs is the passport but I'm still questioning because I'm searching online like crazy.

I took her on my own to Cancun in 2011(flight) and had the notarized letter and passport and was never asked for the letter only passport which sucked because I dealt with so much trying to get the letter to the point that I filed court paperwork to get approval from the judge then he gave me the letter so we wouldn't go to court :mad:

Friend's recent experience out of San Pedro (same CBP office) was same as yours, no asking of the letter.

But if you're going through all that craziness with a letter, could you get one from the ex for any travel until she's 18? No idea the legality of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You're going to get a lot of answers to this.

People will tell you that you must have it, or that you definitely don't need it. People will tell you they've been asked, other will say they have never been asked. You'll be told that if her father agreed to the passport that's all you need. Others will tell you stories of people being denied boarding because they did not have the permission to travel letter.

Mexico is one of those countries that has stronger child abduction laws (like Canada requires a letter at the border crossing).

I have cruised with my kids without my ex for years (before the divorce and after). We also don't get along. However, the letter is "recommended", even if you and your daughter have the same last name (another thing people will say).

I would prepare the letter and try to get it signed. My worst fear is that I don't get the letter and that's the time they ask for it from me. My kids and I do not have the same last name, but I think I was asked before the divorce when we did.

You can call the cruise line, they'll tell you different things. They are not the people standing at the check in counter when you get to the port. I don't know if it's CBP or Homeland or who, but I just don't want to be the one standing there without the letter the one time they ask for it.

One thing I have always wondered on this topic...how does the cruise line know that there is a FATHER? There are many moms out there that are single moms...no dad involved......perhaps adopted.....a surrogate.....or maybe you are a widow. I took my three children on a cruise (all under 18 at the time) following a divorce to cheer my kids up. I was NEVER EVER asked anything.

1 cruise in 2015 & another one 2016 i wasn't asked for it either time. I have 2 kids with different last names, different from mine too. I took the letters just in case but no they weren't notarized, too much hassle with both father's. I told them we were going sooner on the 2nd one because they wait til the last minute as well

I am in the same boat. However, my teens do not have a passport. We're using their BC and their photo ID's. My last name and my sons does not match and his father is not in his life, nor has he been since my son was 18 months old. Remember that this letter is only RECOMMENDED. It is not a requirement. I figure since my name is on his BC and his address on his State ID matches mine, I should be fine. Although I also have the fact that this recommended letter is to prevent child abductions and since my son is 5'10 and 225lbs, and verbal, I'm thinking no one would think that he was being taken against his will. lol. I'm sure you will be fine.

If nothing else, try and communicate with your ex via email or FB. I did that with my ex (talk about awkward since it'd been so many years) I was so freaked out about having this letter cause of the things people here on CC would say about seeing others being turned away. He said he would send a letter, never did, but acknowledged the fact that he doesn't care either way and is aware that my son will be on our sailing. I figure, if it comes down to it, I can just pull up the Facebook messages from him.

From Carnival website:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

If at all possible, try and get the letter. If you cant, try not to sweat it too much.

A little different situation here but my mom and I just took my 5 year old nephew on Carnival Magic. I had a travel consent letter from his mother and dad (my brother). I hand it to the check in agent and his exact words were "what is this for?" He handed it back to me and barely even glimpsed at my nephews BC, smiled and told him to have a wonderful time in Camp Carnival.

When we returned from the cruise, the CBP agent didnt look at his BC at all nor ask for any kind of consent letter.

Edited by ryano

I've cruised 3 times with my kids (on Carnival and Princess all of which included port calls in Mexico) while my husband was deployed overseas. I had a letter the first time, but after that I haven't bothered to have one prepared before he left since it was never asked for by the cruise line or Immigration.

I think you are fine. I read all threads related to this topic since I do travel alone with my kids. The worst I've heard is that if you get asked for a letter and don't have one, you MAY be delayed and possibly questioned, but I have yet to hear that anyone was denied boarding.

For people who are nervous about it and can easily obtain a letter, it's good to get one. In your case, the hassle probably isn't worth it.

Depends upon your custody situation. I'm a single parent. My son is grown now but we did cruise numerous times when he was a minor. I never needed any letter because I had 100% sole custody. The first times we cruised I did bring paperwork stating as such however I was never asked by anyone, at any time, for anything more than his passport and my CC # for the sign and sail account.

Your mileage may vary.

My granddaughter's father is no longer in her life. Hubby, daughter (her mother) and I took a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise (included Mexico). I worried about no documentation, but we did not need it.

Our granddaughter has the same last name as hubby and me. Daughter has married (her new husband did not go on the cruise).

HTH.

Edited by LadyBeBop

I haven't found anything recent since 2012 regarding traveling with a minor and the requirements. Recently my daughters dad and I renewed her passport which we was a pain the ass becausee we do not get along :mad: and he procrastinates on purpose to piss me off. He doesn't have a problem with me taking our daughter on vacation but will give me a hard time to sign any documents to the point that he will give it to me the day before. My question is do I truly need a notarized letter from him for a closed loop cruise (4 day to Mexico)? has anyone been on recently where they've asked for the letter? I called Carnival and the rep was certain all she needs is the passport but I'm still questioning because I'm searching online like crazy.

I took her on my own to Cancun in 2011(flight) and had the notarized letter and passport and was never asked for the letter only passport which sucked because I dealt with so much trying to get the letter to the point that I filed court paperwork to get approval from the judge then he gave me the letter so we wouldn't go to court :mad:

In March, my 16 YO daughter and I sailed on Crown Princess from San Pedro on a California Coastal cruise. MY DH couldn't go, he had to work. We got the letter and had it notarized.

When we checked in for our cruise, they did not ask for the letter. When we disembarked, the customs agent did ask for the letter and questioned my daughter extensively. I would think for a cruise to Mexico, they would be more likely to ask for it.

I don't know what the agent would have done if we didn't have the letter but if they ask for it during check in, they could deny boarding. That was why we got it.

Best of luck to you.

I have nothing more to add other than my experience, unfortunately, but I do want to say I feel your pain.

I went through this on my first two cruises as well. My sons' father is completely out of the picture and there was no way to obtain a letter from him. I did have sole custody though, which is a bit different.

I agonized, especially on my first cruise, over whether or not we'd make it on the ship and had every piece of documentation I could manage including divorce papers, BCs, passports, my OWN BC..essentially everything that documented who we were.

Neither cruise asked for it. I know your mind won't rest though until you have done all you can. Been there, know how you feel.

So glad they are both of age now and it doesn't matter. Youngest is going with on our next one and he has his own passport and is his own man.

Recommended by Carnival and Border patrol but actually required by neither. If customs hassles you it will be AFTER the cruise and Carnival sells cruises, not investigate family arrangements. You will be fine without this much talked about notarized letter!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

I'm a single parent and have taken my child on 10+ cruises and NEVER been asked for any documentation, ever (been on Carnival, Princess, NCL, Disney, and Royal with my child). He does have a passport and we have the same last name. A customs agent in LA asked my child who I was once, and that is the extent of any questioning I have been asked by anyone. I went through the trouble of getting a signed and notarized letter from his deadbeat father twice, but was never asked for it. This year, I filed for sole legal and physical custody for numerous reasons (which was $$$$ but worth it). The deadbeat did not fight it and signed off on the papers. I had my lawyer put in the paperwork I was allowed to travel internationally with my child and also apply for a passport solely, so I shouldn't have any issues while my child is still a minor. Been to Mexico via cruise many times and never been asked anything, either. I carry this legal document via PDF on my phone and also a paper copy when traveling with my child.

Just my $.02

I just want to add my experience. I took my two minor children on a cruise in October. I took their Dad's death certificate just in case. I have a different last name from them. I had their passports and that was all that was ever asked for. For all anyone knew I wasn't even their parent!!! I know it is good to be prepared but it seems if you have that passport that is all that matters.

Recommended by Carnival and Border patrol but actually required by neither. If customs hassles you it will be AFTER the cruise and Carnival sells cruises, not investigate family arrangements. You will be fine without this much talked about notarized letter!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

That's the link I give people too. But if CBP wants they can detain and question BEFORE the cruise. If they are not satisfied with your answers and you don't have a letter you can end up missing the ship. Customs hassling AFTER doesn't make sense if they suspect you may be taking the child out of country and staying out of country....

I would certainly try to have the letter available to avoid any delays.

If you miss the ship because of CBP Carnival will not care, it is not their problem.

That's the link I give people too. But if CBP wants they can detain and question BEFORE the cruise. If they are not satisfied with your answers and you don't have a letter you can end up missing the ship. Customs hassling AFTER doesn't make sense if they suspect you may be taking the child out of country and staying out of country....

I would certainly try to have the letter available to avoid any delays.

If you miss the ship because of CBP Carnival will not care, it is not their problem.

Maybe if you have very young kids there could be an issue but if you have teens that can articulate who they are with there will be no issue. Also I have never seen CBP while boarding a ship, only at the end of the cruise. After our cruise many years ago the CBP asked my younger daughters if I was their dad. They answered yes and that was it.

In March, my 16 YO daughter and I sailed on Crown Princess from San Pedro on a California Coastal cruise. MY DH couldn't go, he had to work. We got the letter and had it notarized.

When we checked in for our cruise, they did not ask for the letter. When we disembarked, the customs agent did ask for the letter and questioned my daughter extensively. I would think for a cruise to Mexico, they would be more likely to ask for it.

I don't know what the agent would have done if we didn't have the letter but if they ask for it during check in, they could deny boarding. That was why we got it.

Best of luck to you.

Just wondering if your daughter has a passport or was cruising with a birth certificate? We also cruised the Crown on a CA Coastal in March of this year. Mine have passports. Once (a couple years ago) the agent held the passports up to compare photos and faces, looked at my kids, and asked them for their names. That was it.

Maybe if you have very young kids there could be an issue but if you have teens that can articulate who they are with there will be no issue. Also I have never seen CBP while boarding a ship, only at the end of the cruise. After our cruise many years ago the CBP asked my younger daughters if I was their dad. They answered yes and that was it.

If the check in clerk has an issue, they'll escalate it to their supervisor, then CBP. Voice of Experience.

Edited by SadieN

We never even thought of any of this! My step-mom traveled with her grandson, and my dad on a cruise. Grandson only had BC, not any last names matched. Not any sort of questions were asked. I did the booking for them and didn't realize what COULD have happened. Thank goodness! I will be more careful next time as maybe they were just lucky.:)