Phone usage

renesir

Thank you. I did call Global that Verizon uses. I know it's pricey but will need to check in with the parents as they are in their late 80'd and early 90's. It will be worth it to me to touch base with them. Global told me it's pay as you go 1.79 a minute. Thanks again for the info😊

Thank you. I did call Global that Verizon uses. I know it's pricey but will need to check in with the parents as they are in their late 80'd and early 90's. It will be worth it to me to touch base with them. Global told me it's pay as you go 1.79 a minute. Thanks again for the info😊

I completely understand the need to keep in touch with the family. One problem you might encounter is a lack of connection sometimes. The weather and position of the ship can cause interruptions. My advice is to call when you are sure there is a signal rather than wait. Of course, this all depends on where you are going. My troubles have usually been on TAs.

TEXTING INSTRUCTIONS: http://www.wikihow.com/Text:D

Passengers onboard all Princess cruise ships (except Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess) can use the Web-based Princess@Sea Messenger service to send instant messages to other people traveling on the same ship. The app version of the Princess@Sea Messenger enables push notifications so that your phone will alert you when messages are received, then directs you to the Web version so you can read your messages. You will need an Internet package to use the service via Wi-Fi on your phone.

Edited by WupperAV

What about texting? Anybody know how that works while at sea?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is the simplest and cheapest solution assuming of course that those on the other end can use Text.

Verizon charges 50 cents outgoing and 5 cents incoming. Used judiciously, that will not break the bank. Also, if something serious arises, a text msg can alert you to make a voice call.

You do need to "Turn Data Off" otherwise your apps may "break the bank." The major causes for high cellular charges are data and voice. Apps that continually update are one of the major contributors to data usage. When you "Turn Data Off", you are also disabling email (email is data but Texts are not).

And, no, do not turn "Airplane Mode On". It's true that Airplane Mode will prevent major expenses but it's also true that you will not be able to send/receive texts or phone calls.

One other issue.

Some have reported that ATT charges connect time for the duration of the call even if you do not answer, ie, while the phone is ringing and until the person making the call hangs up. I do not have ATT so I cannot say this is true.

Verizon does not charge for connect time unless you answer the call.

We turn "Data Off" and have never received any charges except for a few texts while cruising. We have the comfort of knowing that others can contact us in the event of an emergeny. Unless it is our Son or the Vet we will ignore all phone calls. We might respond with a Text asking if it is important. Otherwise we ignore.

The Princess Messenger App does not provide for texting back to home.

Edited by RocketMan275

Passengers onboard all Princess cruise ships (except Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess) can use the Web-based Princess@Sea Messenger service to send instant messages to other people traveling on the same ship. The app version of the Princess@Sea Messenger enables push notifications so that your phone will alert you when messages are received, then directs you to the Web version so you can read your messages. You will need an Internet package to use the service via Wi-Fi on your phone.
This is a bit confusing. Princess@Sea and Princess Messenger use the ship's Intranet, not the Internet. It's free and allows you to contact others onboard. There is a link in Princess@Sea to use the Internet for which there is a charge and you need a package.

Texting is relatively inexpensive but I'd be surprised if the OP's very elderly parents (around 90yo) do much texting.

Edited by Pam in CA

I'm interested in texting back home to check in my elderly family members who actually do text. I suppose we will be better suited to get a wifi package

I'm interested in texting back home to check in my elderly family members who actually do text. I suppose we will be better suited to get a wifi package

Wifi access will not help with text messages unfortunately. Texts are solely tied to the cellular network and will not send over a wifi connection. There are a wide variety of ways around this, if your sending iPhone to iPhone then it uses iMessages which goes over a data connection. If you're using the WhatsApp app then you can use it over wifi as well. Not sure what you are using and what your parents are using but I don't want you to get onboard thinking it will work and it may not.

For what it's worth, I usually buy/use the internet package.

I let a few select, trusted, family members know I am only available by email. They will contact my elderly mother, who is at home, by telephone and check on her. If there is a problem, depending on the emergency, they can email me or call the phone number of the ship.

Both parties understand the cost of that call and will adjust accordingly.

Of course, I send mom updates of the trip, as well as my family members. She normally does not reply, yet my family does...telling me they talked to her today and everything is fine.

Now, if you want to go into the details about how to use your internet minutes wisely and carefully...I think we need to start a new thread. :D:D

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

The app version of the Princess@Sea Messenger enables push notifications so that your phone will alert you when messages are received

This doesn't work the way one would hope.

If you use the app (which you can no longer download) -- you only

get notifications when you are connected to the internet.

If you are connected to only Princess's wifi, no notifications.

It was funny -- I had a phone that I used onboard during a cruise.

On the last night, I turned the phone off, and went back to my

in-service cell phone.

About a week later I turned the travel phone on -- and promptly got

a notification.

I think I need to research this more :-/

I do use iMessage with most ppl I would need to communicate with but I need to figure out how the data packages work on the ship. Fortunately there are really only 3 days this is a concern - our 3 days at sea, everywhere else appears to have 3G or 4G connections in US

I think I need to research this more :-/

I do use iMessage with most ppl I would need to communicate with but I need to figure out how the data packages work on the ship. Fortunately there are really only 3 days this is a concern - our 3 days at sea, everywhere else appears to have 3G or 4G connections in US

As long as your messages appear in blue (not green) and those are the people you are wanting to communicate with while on board the Internet package will work fine. Princess works off of number of minutes used and not the amount of data used so keep that in mind when choosing which package to purchase. Also, if someone sends you an iMessage while you are not connected to any network (Internet or cellular) that message may be converted to a text message and you will not get it until you connect to a cellular network. So best to rely on iMessages for only real time communication and have people email you otherwise.

Edited to add:

I would highly recommend using WhatsApp. You can install it on any of your parents phones (provided they have a smart phone, but it can be an android) before leaving. It uses their cell phone number and doesn't require any screen names or user names to use. It's very easy and works off of Internet connections and doesn't require a cell connection (but works when your on a cell network too). You can also use the app to make calls. It works great.

Edited by Steelers0854

The best thing you can do is contact your service provider and see what they recommend. I called Verizon, explained what I wanted to do, and they told me the best thing for me was to: "Turn Data Off", and rely upon texting back and forth. I asked about their cruise ship package and was told that if all I wanted was text and a rare phone call or two, that was the best, cheapest option for me.

Check with your cell phone provider for an international package. We put a $40 per month package on our Verizon phone that includes some data, as well as 100 minutes to talk, 100 outgoing text messages, and unlimited incoming text messages. Calls over the 100 minutes are only 25 cents per minute. This package works on board the ship as well as in Europe.

If both parties have iPhones FaceTime audio and video work perfectly over wifi. Turn on airplane mode to avoid cell phone charges. Purchase internet minutes and only log on when you want to talk. Remember to log off when you are done. The smallest package is 100 minutes + 10 extra if you sign up on day 1 for $69. If you are platinum or above you get 150 free minutes.

We have VZN and did look into the $40 package which seemed more economical but I am grandfathered on an old plan and could not get it with my phone plan.

If both parties have iPhones FaceTime audio and video work perfectly over wifi. Turn on airplane mode to avoid cell phone charges. Purchase internet minutes and only log on when you want to talk. Remember to log off when you are done. The smallest package is 100 minutes + 10 extra if you sign up on day 1 for $69. If you are platinum or above you get 150 free minutes.

We have VZN and did look into the $40 package which seemed more economical but I am grandfathered on an old plan and could not get it with my phone plan.

If you and your husband are both platinum, do you each get 150 minutes free for a total of 300 minutes?

If you and your husband are both platinum, do you each get 150 minutes free for a total of 300 minutes?

Yes! That is my plan [emoji4]

We just turned Ruby and after two more cruises both of us will get 150 minutes. The 110 minute package I bought required rationing. I think 300 minutes would be more than enough. I use FaceTime audio and video for calling home. And logged into the Internet every so often to check mail. At that point, I did get iMessages that had been sent earlier from my kids at home. Wasn't sure if they would save in the system until I was available. I don't know, however, if there were missed iMessages or what happened to SMS texts that were sent and require cell service. I don't use What's App which I understand would work if I had an Android phone.

I don't use What's App which I understand would work if I had an Android phone.

Just to clarify that What's App works across platforms. They also store all your messages until you log back in so no fear of missing any messages sent. I know for a fact it's available on Android and iOS but am not sure about windows mobile etc. highly recommend it as we have used it a lot not just while cruising but for other times as well.

I would like to take a minute to get a little technical as well. While public wifi (yes wifi onboard the ship is public as well) is a great tool to use please use care and discretion while doing so. The likelihood of someone snooping the onboard wifi while at sea is low but if you use wifi hotspots in port please do so judiciously. I would highly recommend using a VPN service of which there are many that are relatively inexpensive and very easy to use on iPhones, Android phones and tablets a like. I would hate to come home from a fantastic vacation to learn someone has compromised my email and other accounts and then go through the headache of recovering it all.

I know it can be a lot to consider and it can be technical but it is a valuable tool to protect yourself while using wifi not only abroad but even in the states at Starbucks or other places.

Just to clarify that What's App works across platforms. They also store all your messages until you log back in so no fear of missing any messages sent. I know for a fact it's available on Android and iOS but am not sure about windows mobile etc. highly recommend it as we have used it a lot not just while cruising but for other times as well.

I would like to take a minute to get a little technical as well. While public wifi (yes wifi onboard the ship is public as well) is a great tool to use please use care and discretion while doing so. The likelihood of someone snooping the onboard wifi while at sea is low but if you use wifi hotspots in port please do so judiciously. I would highly recommend using a VPN service of which there are many that are relatively inexpensive and very easy to use on iPhones, Android phones and tablets a like. I would hate to come home from a fantastic vacation to learn someone has compromised my email and other accounts and then go through the headache of recovering it all.

I know it can be a lot to consider and it can be technical but it is a valuable tool to protect yourself while using wifi not only abroad but even in the states at Starbucks or other places.

Great information. Thank you for the additional info on What's App. We are an all iPhone family so iMessage serves us well. But it's good to know that What's App goes across platforms.

I have heard of VPN services and see an option in the settings on my iPhone but that's about all I know about it. I never access a financial institute, but do occasionally shop on my phone so I think it would be good to know more about it. Is that something you can explain in non-technical terms? Is it an annual fee or pay as you use? How does it work in a foreign country?