Do you get a tan in a glass-covered solarium?

Due to the risks of skin cancer, we try to avoid a lot of sun exposure. I know that glass blocks some types of UV radiation from the sun, so I was wondering if those that lay in the sun in a glass-covered solarium get tans? If tanning (and burning) in such an environment is minimal, then this could be a compromise between the dangers of sun exposure and wanting to spend time in the sun.

Edited by time4u2go

Depends on the coating, type, and thickness of glass. Thin, old, plate glass doesn't offer any UV block, so you could get burned if you sat under it for many hours. However, most modern tempered (or safety) glass over 1/8" thickness hold a property of moderate UV filtration (some are coated for even further UV-protection and are used with halogen light fixtures as a safety shield). Tinted safety glass will ensure you won't tan at all (as most rays are filtered out as they'd be in a pair of sunglasses).

I tanned aka burned under the glass on the Allure

On Allure and Oasis class ships the solarium isn't totally under glass. There are "panels" of glass with open spaces. You probably were under one of the open areas. It's hard to tell exactly where you get sun or are under the glass.

On Allure and Oasis class ships the solarium isn't totally under glass. There are "panels" of glass with open spaces. You probably were under one of the open areas. It's hard to tell exactly where you get sun or are under the glass.

This is why I don't care for the solarium on Oasis class.

As a redhead, I avoid sun religiously, and the way the glass panels are situated in the Oasis class solarium makes it difficult to stay safe from the sun's rays. You may be under glass at one point, then if the ship changes course or as the sun changes position in the sky, you're now under direct sunlight without realizing it.