JFK Airport Lounge suggestions?

Virtopia

I'll be going to Rome via JFK in September. My wait time between the connecting flights is about 4 hours.

First, is it worth looking into an airport lounge for that amount of time? Will I have to go through security again since I'm going on an international flight? I was thinking it would be nice to relax in a comfortable area before my overnight flight.

If it is worth it, which one would you recommend and where would I be able to buy a day pass?

TIA!

I'll be going to Rome via JFK in September. My wait time between the connecting flights is about 4 hours.

First, is it worth looking into an airport lounge for that amount of time? Will I have to go through security again since I'm going on an international flight? I was thinking it would be nice to relax in a comfortable area before my overnight flight.

If it is worth it, which one would you recommend and where would I be able to buy a day pass?

TIA!

Are you arriving and departing JFK from the same terminal? JFK is one of the airports where inter-terminal transfers can involve going through security. The JFK terminals are connected by a train system. If you are arriving and departing from the same terminal your probably good.

Now that Air Canada has pulled out of serving JFK I think American Airlines is the only regular operator. One or two of the South American airlines may still also operated between Toronto and JFK.

It would really help to know your itinerary. For the purposes of your question, JFK is more like 8 or so different airports because of the way that the terminals are separated from each other, and unless we know which airlines are operating your flights (not which airline you bought the ticket from) it's impossible to know which of those 8 airports to give you advice about.

I'm looking at my itinerary and it doesn't tell me what terminal. Both flights are operated by American Airlines. I arrive at JFK at 1:56pm and leave at 5:20pm and I'm in economy if that helps.

I'm looking at my itinerary and it doesn't tell me what terminal. Both flights are operated by American Airlines. I arrive at JFK at 1:56pm and leave at 5:20pm and I'm in economy if that helps.
That looks like AA4173 YYZ-JFK 1215-1356 connecting to AA236 JFK-FCO 1720-0735+1.

As far as I can see, both of those flights are at Terminal 8. So I think that would mean no security clearance between them, as you can simply stay within the airside departures area.

All we now need is for someone who knows T8 to say what pay lounges might be available there - or you could also have a look at the JFK website to see whether that says anything.

That looks like AA4173 YYZ-JFK 1215-1356 connecting to AA236 JFK-FCO 1720-0735+1.

As far as I can see, both of those flights are at Terminal 8. So I think that would mean no security clearance between them, as you can simply stay within the airside departures area.

All we now need is for someone who knows T8 to say what pay lounges might be available there - or you could also have a look at the JFK website to see whether that says anything.

Wow, thank you!! I went to the AA website to even change my seats and didn't see terminal 8. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot but I will check now that I know the terminal.

There are two Admirals Club at T8. One is the in satellite concourse, the other right by security.

The one by security is currently closed and there is a temporary, smaller facility in place.

The one in the satellite is a little bigger and has a bar, food you can buy but smaller items for free (nibbles, soup etc.) and you get free wifi.

I believe that because of the reduced capacity between the two lounges the ACs in T8 are not selling day passes. I may be wrong.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1676240-new-york-jfk-j-f-kennedy-int-l-airport-b-c-admirals-clubs-master-thread.html

Wow, thank you!! I went to the AA website to even change my seats and didn't see terminal 8. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot but I will check now that I know the terminal.

T8 is pretty new, there are two concourses. Usually domestic is in the higher gate concourse and international in the lower closer to security but operational needs this is not set in stone.

Between concourses you have to go under the alley way between them so it is a long escalator trip down/up and a moving walkway between the two. There are elevators.

They just finished added some more duty free shops, I believe each concourse has their own AA Admirals club. Food Court is in the first concourse. Check out the Port Authority website for a list of returants/consessions.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-shops-restaurants-services.html

Thank you both for the information. I went to their website and it gave me the option to buy the day pass in advance so I will do that closer to the date.

I also went to YouTube and found a couple videos of the lounge. It looks comfy and I'd definitely pay extra to unwind there for 2+ hours.

So, since it's departing from the same terminal, if my flight leaves at 5:20, what would you recommend as a good time to leave the lounge? I was thinking 4:45pm.

I arrive at JFK at 1:56pm and leave at 5:20pm and I'm in economy if that helps.

if my flight leaves at 5:20, what would you recommend as a good time to leave the lounge? I was thinking 4:45pm.

Transatlantic flights tend to start boarding about an hour before departure time. Unless you're seated in business class or have elite status, you won't be among the first to board, but it's still a good idea to be in the gate area when boarding begins so I'd be planning to leave the club by 4:15 or so. Depending on where you're seated on your inbound flight you likely wouldn't deplane and get to the lounge til around 2:15, so you're only looking at about 2 hours. I don't know what AA charges for a daypass, but I know Delta charges $59. Not sure I'd pay that for just 2 hours, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

Transatlantic flights tend to start boarding about an hour before departure time. Unless you're seated in business class or have elite status, you won't be among the first to board, but it's still a good idea to be in the gate area when boarding begins so I'd be planning to leave the club by 4:15 or so. Depending on where you're seated on your inbound flight you likely wouldn't deplane and get to the lounge til around 2:15, so you're only looking at about 2 hours. I don't know what AA charges for a daypass, but I know Delta charges $59. Not sure I'd pay that for just 2 hours, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

I agree after thinking about it for a bit. I think I'll wait until I get to the airport and decide if I want to spend the money then. Thanks for the info! This is my first time flying to Europe.

I agree after thinking about it for a bit. I think I'll wait until I get to the airport and decide if I want to spend the money then. Thanks for the info! This is my first time flying to Europe.

If you do purchase an Admiral club pass, if it is a day pass it should get you into the Admiral club in Toronto as well as the one at JFK. That said, I would probably pass especially at $60 for access. US airlines lounges are nicer than the normal wait area but they are not that impressive otherwise.

It has been about two years since I have been on AA from Toronto to JFK. It is usually a regional flight (e.g. small jet 50 to 100 seats). In Toronto American leaves from Terminal 3, once you are through security and US immigration you follow directions and the gates that American regional flights use tend to be down an escalator into a waiting area on a lower level to ground load onto the flight. It is a small waiting area but ok.

My personal experience is JFK is not as bad as Laguardia but it is not uncommon to have air traffic control hold flights on the ground in Toronto due to air congestion in the New York area. I have never had a ground hold greater than an hour but that does not mean it does not happen. I would feel quite comfortable with a two hour buffer between flights.

Enjoy Europe it is a nice part of the world.

If you do purchase an Admiral club pass, if it is a day pass it should get you into the Admiral club in Toronto as well as the one at JFK. That said, I would probably pass especially at $60 for access. US airlines lounges are nicer than the normal wait area but they are not that impressive otherwise.

It has been about two years since I have been on AA from Toronto to JFK. It is usually a regional flight (e.g. small jet 50 to 100 seats). In Toronto American leaves from Terminal 3, once you are through security and US immigration you follow directions and the gates that American regional flights use tend to be down an escalator into a waiting area on a lower level to ground load onto the flight. It is a small waiting area but ok.

My personal experience is JFK is not as bad as Laguardia but it is not uncommon to have air traffic control hold flights on the ground in Toronto due to air congestion in the New York area. I have never had a ground hold greater than an hour but that does not mean it does not happen. I would feel quite comfortable with a two hour buffer between flights.

Enjoy Europe it is a nice part of the world.

Thank you for the information! Usually when I go to New York, I do Porter into EWR. I'll probably pass on the lounge as it doesn't seem like I would get my money's worth.

If you do purchase an Admiral club pass, if it is a day pass it should get you into the Admiral club in Toronto as well as the one at JFK.

I do not believe that is the case anymore with Admirals Club day passes. I am willing to be wrong.

Save your money. The admiral's clubs are not worth $50/person.

You forgot the one important end to that sentence, "In my opinion".

Everyone puts different values on different services.

You forgot the one important end to that sentence, "In my opinion".

Everyone puts different values on different services.

I would like to think that it was assumed it was my opinion, you know, given the context.

Having been in an AC, I wouldn't spend $50 pp.

I do not believe that is the case anymore with Admirals Club day passes. I am willing to be wrong.

From AA.com Admiral's Club FAQs:

"If you are travelling through multiple cities, you may use the day pass to access more than one lounge that day. If travelling overnight, the pass is also valid at the first point of arrival the following day."

So, in theory, you should be good for YYZ and JFK, but there isn't an arrivals lounge at FCO as far as I know.

As far as whether $50 is worth it, that's up to you but how much do you care about clean bathrooms, and will you want a drink or two while you're waiting (at $10+ in airport bars, free in the AC), and there's loadsa nibbles and free wifi.

From AA.com Admiral's Club FAQs:

"If you are travelling through multiple cities, you may use the day pass to access more than one lounge that day. If travelling overnight, the pass is also valid at the first point of arrival the following day."

So, in theory, you should be good for YYZ and JFK, but there isn't an arrivals lounge at FCO as far as I know.

As far as whether $50 is worth it, that's up to you but how much do you care about clean bathrooms, and will you want a drink or two while you're waiting (at $10+ in airport bars, free in the AC), and there's loadsa nibbles and free wifi.

Hmmm now that makes a difference as I'd go to the airport early in Toronto to truly get my money's worth.

Thank you for all this info! I figure it's a nice touch to my vacation and I'm glad I can make this decision right before I leave.

Free in the AC but only after the OP forks over $50 to buy a day pass. Those "free" drinks just got rather pricey. ;)

Free in the AC but only after the OP forks over $50 to buy a day pass. Those "free" drinks just got rather pricey. ;)

Of course we all know there's no 'free lunch', but my point is that if the OP is likely to have a drink or two in the airport anyway, it makes the effective price of the AC day pass somewhat less. And if she chooses to have breakfast in the AC at YYZ, that discounts the net price even more.

is this CC or an episode of the "Good Wife" with that Judge that required "in my opinion"

I love that show! :D was it judge Abernathy? Or I think it was one of the female judges.

I'll probably decide on the lounge in August and if I do get it, I'll be at the Toronto lounge extremely early to get the maximum benefit between both lounges.