Luggage Tags and Flight

Good morning! As I am completing my packing for cruise tomorrow, I have come across a question. I am flying into Seattle. First time I have flown before a cruise but do I put my Luggage Tags on before I fly or do I wait until I catch the cruise transfer?

Thanks so much!

I don't put them on prior to flying. Only reason that I can think to do that would be if the cruise line was collecting your luggage for you. If you are meeting your luggage at baggage claim, add the cruise tags then so that they don't get lost before you arrive at the port.

Good morning! As I am completing my packing for cruise tomorrow, I have come across a question. I am flying into Seattle. First time I have flown before a cruise but do I put my Luggage Tags on before I fly or do I wait until I catch the cruise transfer?

Thanks so much!

I use a strip of clear plastic packing tape on the luggage tag and apply it before I fold and staple it around my luggage handle. Never had it come off, even lasted through an Alaskan land and cruise tour.

If you want to feel safe, just print another tag and store with your travel docs.

We use Cruise Critic plastic holders for our cruise tags. We keep them in our backpacks until we land and then we put them on. We were once told my an airline agent not to put them on as they can confuse the luggage handlers. Not sure how that is the case since they are all automated now. Nonetheless, I don't risk it and just put them on afterwards. Easy enough to do.

Thanks so much!

Avoid extra tags on your luggage when you fly. I've seen people with so much stuff on their handles that the baggage handlers had a hard time trying to figure out which flight their bags should go on. Just put them on when you arrive at the airport after your flight.

I always put my tag on my bag before I fly-just in case my luggage decides to go someplace else/arrive later than I do so the airline knows where to send it (I also put 1 inside the bag). I use the plastic holders I got from AAA. Actually on my last flight, ticket agent asked to make sure it was "current" and not an old tag. Told her yes that was for cruise next day & she said OK good idea.

I always put my tag on my bag before I fly-just in case my luggage decides to go someplace else/arrive later than I do so the airline knows where to send it (I also put 1 inside the bag). I use the plastic holders I got from AAA. Actually on my last flight, ticket agent asked to make sure it was "current" and not an old tag. Told her yes that was for cruise next day & she said OK good idea.

I do the same thing. They'll know where to send my luggage if my luggage is mis-directed.

Avoid extra tags on your luggage when you fly. I've seen people with so much stuff on their handles that the baggage handlers had a hard time trying to figure out which flight their bags should go on. Just put them on when you arrive at the airport after your flight.

I am going to second this suggestion. The less on your luggage when flying the better. You especially want to remove any of those little sticker that look like UPC. Those help auto route your luggage. Old ones can send your luggage on a journey you really don't want them to travel.

While waiting for my luggage once I had a conversation with a baggage handler. He complimented my on my lime green bag and said his job would be so much easier if luggage more colorful.

He had several suggestions including, remove all tags and stickers. Your luggage tag should have your name and cell phone number to avoid advertising your home address. INSIDE your luggage a sheet of paper that has name, phone and destination. If your luggage gets lost airlines can track you by their luggage tag. The next step is to use the phone number on your luggage tag. If that gets lost they will open the bag to look for additional information.

I also want to share my hubby has traveled the world for the last 30 years. At one point he was "platinum/elite" depending on the airline with 3 different airlines. His luggage was only lost twice. Once coming back from Malaysia and once flying back from London. So it doesn't really happen often.

Thanks so much!

We're flying into Seattle today for the Legend cruise. We put the luggage tags on before we go to the port, never before as the tags may fall off during the flight. I also print out a couple extra tags JIC.

I do the same thing. They'll know where to send my luggage if my luggage is mis-directed.

If you arrive at your destination and your luggage does not, here's how they know where to send it: go immediately to the baggage office for your airline and fill out a claim. You will describe your bag and specify in writing where you would like it to be sent. You will get a claim number and you can track online the progress of locating your luggage. You will provide a detailed itinerary of your travels including hotel (if any) and the cruise itinerary.

Do you imagine that you just walk out of the airport sans bags and the airline baggage department will figure everything out from your cruise line provided tag - the purpose of which is to get your bag from the dock to your stateroom? Good luck with that. A ticketing agent is trained to get you ticketed and onto your flight. Go ask the agent who works in the baggage office whether the cruise tag is sufficient to return stray bags to you at the next port.

I have 8 plastic luggage tag holders. I always use all 8 even if I dont have that many bags. I affix them once I get to the destination on the way to the port.

If I have 4 pieces of luggage, all 4 will get two tags, on different handles, just in case one accidentally gets ripped off. I also print full travel plans and extra cruise tags and leave them on top of the stuff inside the luggage. This way if it gets lost in the airport, they have my travel plans, if the cruise tags get lost, they know where it goes as soon as the open.

Some people call my OCD, I prefer to think of it as overly cautious. :D

I see no reason to tell the world where I am going and when...I place my cruise luggage tags in plastic holders after I reach my port, before I hand them to the porters; on return, I remove the debarkation ones before reaching to train station/bus station/airport

I'm quite sure no airline will forward any luggage to a destination outside their own baggage system, regardless of what extra tags are attached to the piece. You, or Carnival on your behalf, would need to specifically authorize a forwarding of misplaced luggage to an additional location.

Do you imagine that you just walk out of the airport sans bags and the airline baggage department will figure everything out from your cruise line provided tag - the purpose of which is to get your bag from the dock to your stateroom? Good luck with that.

I agree, wondering where folks who fret over stuff like this get such notions.

Edited by lizardhowson