had to cancel due to pregnancy guidelines

[quote name=ColoradoGurl;5006693

This is probably a controversial recommendation' date=' but since it's already booked and it's affecting so many people, maybe she can just say she's a few weeks less pregnant. When I was 25 weeks I was barely showing at all, so depending on how big her belly gets, they may not even notice or ask.

Not to start a debate at all - but please do not do this. The reason the guidelines are set is because if a woman goes into preterm labor, if a hospital with a specialized NICU is easily accessible there is a chance that baby could survive. Any delays in treatment could impact the outcome. Personally, I had what everyone would consider a perfect pregnancy until at 28 weeks 5 days I PROM'd ( premature rupture of membranes). I was admitted immediately to the hospital, received two steroid shots for the baby's lung development and IV antibiotics and was on hospital bed rest for 37 days at which time I delivered our daughter at 34 weeks gestation. She did need to go to the NICU FOR 11 days but fortunately is now a very healthy 14 year old. Unexpected things can happen very quickly during a pregnancy and quick access to specialized medical care can make a huge difference in the outcome. Again, not trying to start a debate or offer medical advice - just giving another perspective on why the cruise lines have set a cut off date for cruising.

I'm sorry you and your family need to change your travel plans. I hope you can find a good alternative that will work in the future.

MTE. I was on IOS this summer when a woman gave birth 4 months early. Judging by her due date I think she fudged the numbers by a week or two.

Edited by dcgrumpy

I'm with those who say you're lucky you got what you did. The pregnancy policy is right there on the website - if I was spending that kind of money booking a cruise and knew that there were special considerations such as pregnancy, I would do my due diligence and search out policies BEFORE booking.

I rank this one up there with someone who booked last week and "three days later" learned about the Zika threat when it's been all over the news for a few months now.

We cannot depend on others to do our research for us or tell us every little thing - we need to take responsibility for finding these things out.

I'm not really sure what your status with the cruise line has to do with anything. They have rules and they already made an exception for you by giving you a two year credit. You should be thankful for that and not demanding they do more.

Sounds harsh but this is another one of those personal responsibility situations. It is your responsibility to know the rules before booking. And they have been more accommodating then they have to be.

Your DD was 5+ months pregnant when you booked the cruise. And this fact was of no consideration when a major family vacation was discussed? People need time off work so is it safe to assume that this confirmation was required prior to the booking? And now you want special compensation. I think that RCI has been more than generous in their offer considering your responsibility in this issue. Go on the cruise with the rest of the family. Have a good time with the the other kids.

. . . or having a complication on board and having a bad pregnancy outcome. The risk of it happening is extremely low, but the results can be awful. The odds of Russian Roulette aren't bad either, but I still wouldn't play....

I've heard that a ship is not a good place for pregnancy complications. I'd book a land trip now, and another cruise in two years.

My parents took the extended family to Bar Harbor for their 40th anniversary and had a blast!

I am surprised that as a frequent cruiser you didn't know about Royal's rules for cruising while pregnant. Before I booked my cruise the first thing I looked up was "Royal Caribbean and pregnant". They use to require a "fit to travel" fax to even get on the cruise ship, but I just e-mailed the special needs department a few days ago and they said they don't require it anymore:

"We no longer require our pregnant guests to submit a fit to travel letter from the doctor. Since this is a new change made to our pregnancy policy has been recently updated on our website. We are still requiring our guests to be under the 24 weeks of pregnancy in order to sail. Our guests cannot be entering, or have entered, the 24th week of pregnancy at the time during the sailing or cruise tour.

Guests will be required to fill out a Public Health Questionnaire at the pier."

Not pile on but I agree with the others here. You can try to get another exception but it appears they have already bent the rules in giving you a credit that is good for 2 years. All I have heard of is good for 1 year only. Noting your status as emerald only makes me ask if you have cruised before why didn't you know of the rules? It does nothing in regards of how the company will handle your situation. There are many many others out there with much higher status and it wouldn't change for them either.

It seems you agree that you don't want to risk the cruise now that you are aware of the limitations which is a good thing. I wouldn't chance it myself being out in the ocean somewhere and having your daughter go into labor or have some other complication.

At this point as I see it you have 2 choices. The whole family stays home and tries to cruise together in 2 years, or the daughter and family stay home and the rest of you go. We are a family that most often vacations together, but would go with whoever can at this point and enjoy the family at a different time.

Best of luck with your decision, and enjoy the new grandbaby.

Do not risk it either sail without your DD or take your credit and be happy.

You knew your due date when you booked right? The inability to check out the pregnancy rule falls on you not them.

I had a early baby. Its already terrifying going into labor when you know you shouldn't and then having a neonatal team waiting to help the baby. A ship can not do that, they do not have the resources required to save the life. Do not risk lying about her due date the risk (your DD and grandchild's life)does not out way the reward (a cruise vacation with the whole family)

Oh and he is fine now that's him up in the corner my million dollar baby.

Edited by Jenjer

Fail to understand why the OP thinks that RCCL is being unfair as to not giving a refund. Clearly the OP knew her daughter was pregnant and it was up to OP or even the daughter to make certain of RCCL's policy.

RCCL's policy is clearly posted on its website. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=313 Following copied directly from RCCL's website

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I cruise if I am pregnant?

A: Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. All guests are required to sign a health questionnaire at check-in to ensure they are aware of our pregnancy policy. If you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement, please contact your Travel Agent or call us at (866) 562-7625 and request a Resolution Agent.

Being that the OP is computer adept to post a complaint on CC than surely they should have been able to maneuver RCCL's website or perhaps even asked the RCCL rep for the policy prior to booking.

Edited by xxoocruiser