iConcierge App Fee?

LTCSZ

$9.99 per device to use texting and calling feature. Free for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

just to clarify: I thought it was only a text service: So, I can actually voice call my spouse as well as texting her on the ship? Thanks again...

Is it different for different ships? We are just off the Getaway today and it was $12.99 per device.

That sucks! Yes, it was definitely $9.99 per device last week on Escape, increased from $7.99 on all our previous cruises with the service.

That sucks! Yes, it was definitely $9.99 per device last week on Escape, increased from $7.99 on all our previous cruises with the service.

I think this is nuts. I know it's convenient but when I was on Princess it was free. I used it to check events and my account. I don't know why they have to charge so much for everything.

Candi

I think this is nuts. I know it's convenient but when I was on Princess it was free. I used it to check events and my account. I don't know why they have to charge so much for everything.

Candi

It's also free on NCL for use checking your account and viewing events.

Just off the Breakaway this morning, most of the iConcierge App features are free to use, like viewing charges & restaurant info/booking specialty dining, etc. - the optional add-on functions to gain the extra ability to text and/or call other users/devices registered on the specific sailing is now $9.95 (was still 7.95 the week prior.) To call out VoIP using the App to landlines (home/office, etc.) is still 79 cents a minute - while connected to ship's WiFi system, you are assigned an exclusive 8 digits telephone number upon activating the App onboard the ship - so that incoming callers can reach you - and it's not necessary to pay the $7.95, 9.95 or 12.95 one-time fee for calling others off the ship.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/1f72521dc2cda3309f03f0b5caf6fc38.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk over Fi Network

When do you pay the 9.99 fee? We used it and called home (which was a waste....service was horrible and they couldnt hear us 99.9% of the time) but I dont remember paying for the app. Anyone know is it a charge to your room or on the playstore when you download?

If you are using the above NCL's iCon* App to call home/office using ship's WiFi inTRAnet (VoIP) - you do NOT pay any fee for it (regardless of whether it's $7.95 or $9.95 or $12.95 or what not) You just need to activate your iCon* App once onboard/connected to ship's WiFi signal (in other words, it won't connect from land and it does not work off the ship.)

It's available free to download & install for both iOS and Android platform (from App Store or Play Store) - and, to use most of the features & functions, free of any charges. Self-explanatory once you have it on your device, look under the Help menu/submenu or the "button" on the upper right corner with the app running. There is no charge to your Onboard Account either - anything that involved a charge, an alert will "pop up" with the info & you need to agree to proceed and use - including calling or texting other registered/activated users on the same ship (with their own unique 8 digit "telephone" number) The App is in need for some updates (last one over 6 months ago ...) but it works, generally speaking.

You see the "Stay Connected" tabs - Cabin Messaging (free), Messenger (paid, extra) and Phone (paid, extra) - fees & extra charges would be posted against the Stateroom's Onboard Account, which you can & should review daily (or, from the in-room Interactive TV screen tab ... on newer ships with the upgraded system, as availabe).

Sometimes, it can simply be a case of too many users "active" and trying to use the system, like the last day before disembarkation, needing to do airline check-in & reconfirming bookings for ground transportation, etc. We had far better results as our Google devices were taking full advantage of the less crowded 5 Ghz WiFi channels (vs. the 2.4 Ghz, more prone to other interference & more common on "older" smartphones & tablets.) The NEC industrial graded WiFi repeaters installed on the ship are very solid & dependable, strategically situated in all the public area with overlapping signal coverage.

Did you speak to the ship's Internet Manager onboard if you experienced near 100% failure and inability to be heard on those 79 cents per minute call ?? for a credit / refund - I personally found the "manager" on duty for the BA internet cafe to be helpful & resourceful last week. One of our many nieces were on the Getaway last year and just recently, and worked well enough for them & I am not aware of any major issues. When & what ship was that for ??

Perhaps you want to skim thru our "live update" from last week as linked under my Signature, as I had some screenshots ... wrap-up review to follow once we transition back to land.

When do you pay the 9.99 fee? We used it and called home (which was a waste....service was horrible and they couldnt hear us 99.9% of the time) but I dont remember paying for the app. Anyone know is it a charge to your room or on the playstore when you download?

The Iconcierge app itself is free to download to your phone. If you just want to use it to check schedules and account, there is no charge. You only pay a charge if you want the text and call features which are really convenient if you are traveling with a group. When you go through the activation process on the ship to set up the call/text features, there is a place where you "agree" to terms and the fee, whatever is currently is. You'll then see that charge on your account.

Will I be entering folio #'s from checkin or my ncl login I use currently for booking show reservations thru the app?

I have the app ready to go but want to make sure I have any inputs ready too.

To activate iCon* once connected to ship's WiFi, you will need to input either an unique 6 digits code generated from your stateroom's interactive TV menu's submenu screen. Or, you can input, when prompted, your last & first name, DOB info and email address - names must match exactly as those on the registration upon checking in at the pier, then you will ready to go - assignment of a 8 digit mobile # is displayed along with stateroom #.

You do not need to worry about your booking reference or folio #'s, NCL log on or credit card/SSAN #'s, etc. for the free registration.

App's last revisions are 6+ months old & due for some upgrades, thus, info is valid for current release & subjec to change, etc. etc.

There is a different process to register and log-in/out of the paid/free WiFi inTERnet plan, including registration ... step-by-step instructions are provided or see the internet cafe manager for help.

Remember to disable cellular data by putting on the airplane mode, then only re-enable WiFi to avoid unwarranted extra charges.

To call out VoIP using the App to landlines (home/office, etc.) is still 79 cents a minute - while connected to ship's WiFi system, you are assigned an exclusive 8 digits telephone number upon activating the App onboard the ship - so that incoming callers can reach you - and it's not necessary to pay the $7.95, 9.95 or 12.95 one-time fee for calling others off the ship.

Thanks for the detailed information. Are you saying w/o paying anything I'll have an 8 digit phone number I can give people back home the ability to call me? How much will they be charged?

Remember to disable cellular data by putting on the airplane mode, then only re-enable WiFi to avoid unwarranted extra charges.

I think I remember some recommendations about this and should have written them down. Maybe another option outside of going to airplane mode. Maybe turn off cellular data and disable cellular roaming in port?

I'm not very techy with my iphone. Are there settings about the app I should make sure are correct ahead of time? I don't think I was prompted about notifications but think I need to be set up to accept.

Thanks for the detailed information. Are you saying w/o paying anything I'll have an 8 digit phone number I can give people back home the ability to call me? How much will they be charged?

I'm not very techy with my iphone. Are there settings about the app I should make sure are correct ahead of time? I don't think I was prompted about notifications but think I need to be set up to accept.

Not knowing your specific iPhone model & OS running, etc. along with ship & sailing date - it's best not to give detailed/specific how to, should NCL release a newer version of their free App.

Short answer, yes - once registered/activated - ship system assigned a unique 8 digit number linked to your name & stateroom #. Our friends next door was able to call their adult children to give them their "special" onboard number to use, in case of emergencies, before we sailed/left the pier/terminal.

Calling rates from land to the ship, whether it's direct to stateroom or to the special 8 digits "mobile" number - are, AFAIK, relative expensive & charged to calling party's credit card, which they must acknowledge before calls can go thru. Last time I checked, it was $7.95 or $8 per minute for incoming call - compared to $4.95 per minute to call from stateroom to shore/land/home or office, etc. Calls from iConcierge App is "cheaper" at 79 cents a minute

VZW has free local classes in their major retail stores near you, if you are using them and they (along with T-Mobile & AT&T) have good online instructional tutorials on how to configure & check/change your device settings when traveling, to avoid roaming surprises/charges, etc. Those free sessions last 30 to 60 minutes, take advantage of it or see what's offered online. Or, see the ship's Internet Cafe's staff/manager on duty during their posted hours (on BA, he was available till late on embarkation day & rest of the week - iPhone would be easy for him to check & help you configure, etc.)

As you used it before, the App is already installed when you sail again & it's a matter of checking for any downloading to update. There aren't any settings to change before leaving for a cruise as that would affect your daily iPhone usage for calls, data use, etc. Best to do that once onboard. The App has its own functions, as long it is WiFi connected and cellular data/roaming data are turned off with device in Airplane Mode, you are pretty safe in not getting a huge bill later on.

Whether it's for iPhones or Android smartphones, there is a pop-up alert about enabling "Push Messaging" so that alerts & SMS can come thru ... complicated, huh. Carrier branded phones also sometimes have add-on bloatwares that could cause problems if you turn them off, as I was looking at our friend's Sprint branded Samsung Note 4 with some sort of "WiFi Optimizer" that kept dropping the WiFi signal from the ship - his spouse's newer Samsung was fine.

I wouldn't sweat the details now unless you are sailing next week - in case of emergencies, the costs of those calls are irrelevant. The ability to get thru is all that matter, incoming or outgoing calls and SMS/text message (which are relatively inexpensive) Plan ahead, have a crisis communications plan with backup and keep it short/simple.

For those with a little bit more technical how-to, Fi Network by Google is an excellent alternative and/or as the primary resources for calling/texting ... using ship's networks as a backup or for contingencies. We spend a total of about $3 for our week of Bermuda cruising for international voice calling and 200 MB of 3G data, combined with "free" 1GB/250 NCL minutes of WiFi data (3 cellular calls for a total of 5 minutes at 20 cents/minute) Info detailed in the Semi Live Quick Update, Breakaway "blog" for those interested.

It it only 1 unique 8 digit number per stateroom? I will traveling with 6 total people but in 3 staterooms. We were all hoping to be able to communicate with each other via text on the ship. I especially would like to be able to text with my tween and teen so they can have a little independence (they are sharing a room with me).

lmintzer - no, each person checked in and registered in the stateroom, upon activating their APP, are given their own 8 digit "phone" number - valid for the duration of the sailing (or, as a shortcut - by using the 6 digits PIN number, only available via the stateroom's interactive TV system's submenu for it (it's fairly easy to figure out, using the cursor/direction keys on the Remote Control to scroll)

DW has her number and I have mine, xxxx-xx01 is the first guest as listed in the stateroom/booking record, xxxx-xx02 is the 2nd. guest in the record, and so forth if I'm not mistaken about - and our number is automatically listed in a mini contact tab within the APP.

Now, to call or text, each device/person/phone number has to authorize/agreed to the non-free, one-time activation charge - billed to the Stateroom's Onboard Account, $9.95 last week on the BA and as reported, $12.95 on the Escape or Getaway. No live reporting/update from the GEM or other ships currently sailing, or the Epic - as the fee was $7.95 fleetwide until this month. No other charges for the services unless you are calling land with this App.

Edited by mking8288

Mking--thank you! Was worried there for a sec. Sounds like it will work out for us. So hard to think about being out of digital contact in this day and age! If not for this, would have to resort to white board on cabin door a la my college days! I am willing to pay the $9.95 or whatever they charge per decide to make this work. Totally worth it to me! Will probably be skipping ship's Internet--now that is pricey for the very little you get--and just check in when in port. Will be good for us all to unplug for a bit. Though will be tough to stay off Facebook and my E-mail and not post beautiful pix from our trip.

You are welcomed, anyone with the "Free 250 WiFi minutes" in any of the stateroom, as depending on the ship - and, if it's the Breakaway ... could turn out to be quite useful & reasonably fast, it met my needs last week sailing Bermuda. I received the ChoicePromo of 1000MB/250min. promotion plan, and got slightly over 1,000 minutes of on-air time and 1,003 MB (that's 1 GB of data) for the week. Purchased onboard, the 1GB plan is considered the "large" plan for $125.00 vs. unlimited plan for 7 days @ $29.99 x 7 days or $209.93

I was able to do quite a bit of uploading to FB and to Tapatalk, so initial plan to stay connected and only do quick/simple update while at sea became, more of less, semi-live "blog" all week long. Well, it helped that we have 2 staterooms & used up mine, switched to the 2nd. bundle of 1G/250min plan - and used about half of that, all the way until disembarkation on Sunday morning. While in Bermuda, I saved another $15 by not using Dockyard's paid 3 day WiFi plan, using Google's Fi Network for pretty fast 3G data network by Digicel (as if we're in Jamaica / Caribbean Islands ... cool ;) :D ) - extra costs as charged, about $3 in total from Google.

In practice, while onboard, I seldom hear/see anyone using their smartphones or ringing while in the MDR at dinner time, which is a good thing - afterall, it's a vacation for just about everyone sailing. My Nexus 5X was great for photos and other Apps made it easy to edit pix before uploading to FB & Tapatalk, making it very productive. Even ordered off eBay and the item shipped & was delivered before we got home, LOL.

Edited by mking8288

We used the NCL app last year on our cruise. Since it was only Hubby and me, we didn't opt for the pay service to be able to text or call others on the ship. I we had a larger group, this would have been a great option to use.

With the free portion of the app, we were able to check our account status, book excursions, make dinner reservations, review the schedule of activities, etc. It was great. The ONLY thing that would have improved it for us was if there was a Deck map included and was able to have the app tell us how to get to the theater from where we were. We definitely liked using it.