Settling your account

Hi we cruise to the canaries next week from Southampton and wondered what currency is used on board for the onboard account as we will have euros for spending money but f we had some left could we settle the account in euro or is it all us dollars?

Hi we cruise to the canaries next week from Southampton and wondered what currency is used on board for the onboard account as we will have euros for spending money but f we had some left could we settle the account in euro or is it all us dollars?

You can use Euros to pay off your account, but the ship will convert them to USD and the exchange rate won't be as good as your own credit card.

Thanks all. I have prepaid grats but last question do staff prefer euros or dollars for tips as we go throughout the hol?

If you are cruising around the Canaries, the staff will more than likely prefer euros as this is what they will need when they go ashore.

The ship is in $$$. If you have €€€ left over then you would be paying a double exchange rate; firstly the one to change £££ into €€€ in the first place and then the poor exchange rate that RcI will charge you to change the €€€ into $$$.

Best to keep the €€€ for another trip.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

We have paid all kinds of left over currency against our account, they will happily accept it but as mentioned the exchange rate is not always the best. If you travel in Europe often you might be better off keeping the euros.

On another note; Royal certainly does use US dollars on Australian cruises. I have heard that Princess doesn't so perhaps that's where the confusion comes from.

Thanks all. I have prepaid grats but last question do staff prefer euros or dollars for tips as we go throughout the hol?

Don't settle in Euros, saw a UK passenger attempt that on our cruise on the Vision last week but the exchange rate was poor. Another was wanting Euros with Pound Sterling and had to convert GBP to USD first and then 2nd conversion from USD to Euros. Crazy.

We paid automatic gratuities at the end of the cruise but gave crew extra tips in both USD (as ship's official currency) and Euros as sailing in the Eurozone. If you're sailing from Southampton, I don't think crew would mind Sterling as long as the ship returns to it.

... Best to keep the €€€ for another trip.

Exactly what we do. We keep 100-200 Euros to take home, so that on the next trip we have some right when we get off the plane in Europe.