Are you satisfied with Oceania's air arrangements?

Sopwith

We got our air arrangements from O for our 5/9 cruise from Tahiti and I am satisfied with the arrangements, Newark to PPT. My question is: When we get to LAX we have a 4.5 hr. layover and I would like to use the United Lounge (I have passes). I understand that we will be arriving at Terminal 7 and departing to PPT from Tom Bradley International. Can we check in for the Air Tahiti Nui flight from Terminal 7 in advance or do we have to go to TBIA to check in? If so, can we check in at TBIA and then go back to Terminal 7 for United Lounge? Is that doable? Or do we first go to United Lounge and only spend a short time there and then leave for TBIA? How much time before we need to check in?

We got our air arrangements from O for our 5/9 cruise from Tahiti and I am satisfied with the arrangements, Newark to PPT. My question is: When we get to LAX we have a 4.5 hr. layover and I would like to use the United Lounge (I have passes). I understand that we will be arriving at Terminal 7 and departing to PPT from Tom Bradley International. Can we check in for the Air Tahiti Nui flight from Terminal 7 in advance or do we have to go to TBIA to check in? If so, can we check in at TBIA and then go back to Terminal 7 for United Lounge? Is that doable? Or do we first go to United Lounge and only spend a short time there and then leave for TBIA? How much time before we need to check in?

You won't be able to go back to the UAL club as you won't be able to get thru security without a UAL boarding pass so go there before heading go Tom Bradley. Doubt air Tahiti nui will be open for checking that early. Suggest you phone Air Tahiti Nui and ask them Forgot your other question, NO you connot check in for Tahiti in Terminal 7.

Forgot your other question, cannot check in from Terminal 7

Also you might want to check out if your luggage will be transferred automatically. Just found a list of airlines UAL INTERLINES with and no AIR Tahiti Nui on the list so appears you will need to take your luggage to Tom Bradley so no UAL club as you don't want to leave your luggage in baggage claim

Really need to phone both airlines or have your TA check. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by rallydave

If you are flying on UA and connecting to a UA flight all on one PNR and you miss your flight, it is the airline's responsibility to put you on the next flight at no extra expense to you.

It may be on a UA flight if available or another airline. If you have to overnight, it also is the responsibility of the airline. I don't see a need to pay $225/pp to get on a later flight - the airline will do it for you free of charge if needed.

JMO.

Thanks for your response, it is comforting. BTW what is PNR? We had the O Air and the fare class is "S" hope that won't make it different.

We had a situation before many years ago with the traditional cruise air. We had to wait and get the return flight from Royal Caribbean, not from the airline, when our return flight was canceled at Vancouver. That held us back many days because of the limited quota of seats associated with the "restrictive" ticket. So when I find out that our connection time is only 95 minutes, we were very concerned. ORD and LAX are two airports I knew that we have to get out of the international terminal and joined the long line of security check at domestic terminal. And ORD have the longest security lines, although the lines move relatively fast at ORD. There is one later flight and it is the last flight of the day which is definitely not preferred. I guess because we did not take air deviation we have to take the O Air arrangement or to pay the premium even when the connection is unreasonable if not impossible. I know Global Entry saves time at the Immigration, just don't know if it really makes difference for making connection flight. We will still have to claim luggage and many times the luggage hadn't arrived after we cleared Immigration. We appreciate your response and clarification.

Thanks for your response, it is comforting. BTW what is PNR? .

PNR = passenger name record , record locator number usually 6 letters/numbers that you use to log into the airline site to see your flights

Some of the information above is incorrect. Yes, you can check your luggage at TBIT and then walk over to the United terminal entirely past security. We just did it the other way last Friday, checking in at United and then walking over to the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT before returning to United. It is about a 20 minute walk; just follow the signs. If you start from TBIT, you have to go the the level where the lounges are and then head over to the AA terminal. From there, there are tunnels to the Delta and United terminals.

If by any chance you cannot find the overpasses/tunnels, you can walk outside to the United terminal, but you would have to clear security again. It would be possible since LAX is one of the few airports that allows you to access other terminals with any boarding pass (would not have to be United).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the deviations so that we could spend a couple of days in Barcelona prior to sailing. We arrive morning on the 19th and have 3 nights there before departing on the 22nd for our transatlantic sailing. Couldn't fly in to go straight to the port. Can't wait to see the sights in that beautiful city. On arrival in Miami we are spending a day in South Beach. A perfect trip to celebrate my 50th birthday!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

PNR = passenger name record , record locator number usually 6 letters/numbers that you use to log into the airline site to see your flights

Exactly. Single PNR means a single ticket - even if it is for a number of flight connections. If airline issues this type of a ticket they assume that the connection time is "legal" and thus they assume the responsibility to get you on another flight if you do not make the connection.

At ORD I have seen airline employees waiting for passengers with tight connections to facilitate the process and help them make the connection.

I agree that it is a very tight connection and you may choose to pay the extra fees if that will make you more relaxed about making that connection but you don't need to - airline is obligated to take care of you regardless of the fare class of your ticket (though not necessarily on the very next flight).

When we went to Tahiti in 2014 (with Oceania Air), we took Delta to LAX and our luggage was interlined to Air Tahiti Nui without a problem even though these airlines were not in the same group. They told us when we checked in with Air Tahiti that our luggage was going on board. We spent the long wait eating a good lunch in TBIT and getting some liquor for our room though anybody with access to the star alliance lounge should absolutely go there (learned this on a business class trip elsewhere later). Enjoy this cruise-it is my favorite so far with Oceania.

We were in ORD last year on our return flight also, that's why I am alarmed to see only 95 minutes layover at ORD. It's not that I have to make this particular flight, actually if I can make the connection it will be the best flight combination timewise. I was only trying to get assurance from either O or UA that we will be taken care of in case we don't make the connection due to ORD's gate and terminal configuration. I was just surprised by the O's response.

There is also some difference in the flight record handling this time . We are in AA and AA code share flights on the way over, and UA flights on return. It used to be, and was the case for us last year on our O air arrangement, that AA and UA's flight record will only have information on their part of the flights; but this time both AA and UA have my complete flight records. Just wondering, is this the new rule?

Exactly. Single PNR means a single ticket - even if it is for a number of flight connections. If airline issues this type of a ticket they assume that the connection time is "legal" and thus they assume the responsibility to get you on another flight if you do not make the connection.

At ORD I have seen airline employees waiting for passengers with tight connections to facilitate the process and help them make the connection.

I agree that it is a very tight connection and you may choose to pay the extra fees if that will make you more relaxed about making that connection but you don't need to - airline is obligated to take care of you regardless of the fare class of your ticket (though not necessarily on the very next flight).

Where would I find "PNR" I have a confirmation number but no letters.

Where would I find "PNR" I have a confirmation number but no letters.

Do you have a booking number from Oceania is that what you are talking about ?

Ask your TA or Oceania for the airline locator code

In this case there will probably be two different booking numbers as UAL and Air Tahiti Nui don't code share and the flight to Tahiti might be an Oceania charter to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app