Bringing wine on board

jbal47

I know that you can bring one bottle of wine per person on embarkation. Are you also allowed to do the same when returning on board from the various ports of call without it being confiscated to be returned at the end of the cruise?

I have noticed the same thing. Often, disclosing the wine purchases is done on the "honor system". So, if you are not completely honorable, just keep walking after clearing security.

There are two times of day when it easiest to walk by the check-in desk.

1. Early morning just as there setting up their check in table.

2. When it gets real busy in late afternoon as all the people arrive back on the ship.

;)

I believe they will charge the $15 corkage in other ports, but we have found them to be pretty lax

I am not sure that they are necessarily lax. We typically bring our two bottles of wine and let them know on embarkation. If the cruise we are on includes wine making regions we will bring a local bottled wine back with us. We have never been asked for a corkage fee. Having said that, we are very willing to pay the price for enjoying, say a bottle of wine from the Tuscany region. On more than one occasion, the security folks commented that we should enjoy our wine. I really don't know if this is something Princess does in just the wine regions but we certainly appreciate their allowing us to enjoy the wine of the country we are visiting. We do not try to abuse the kind gesture. We select one bottle only.

On embarkation in Houston for our recent TA on the Caribbean Princess, we each had a bottle of wine in our carryons and a bottle of wine in each of our suitcases. My suitcase arrived at our cabin about an hour after embarking, but my wifes' didn't arrive for several hours. When it did arrive, her bottle of wine had been moved to the top of the suitcase and had a note next to it to the effect that they needed to check if she had brought on her allotted wine and that she might be called to customer service. She never got the call.

Bringing wine and alcohol back onboard at a port stop seems to be a bit hit and miss. If the table is set up and they see you have a bottle of wine, you will be charged $15 corking fee which I have no problem with. Last cruise we stopped in Nassau where I had bought a bottle of my favorite gin. I was able to carry it onboard and to my stateroom. I never saw the table nor did anyone indicate I needed to visit it. This happened last year in Aruba as well.

My partner forgot and put a bottle of wine in the checked bag. It did not arrive until after 5 PM to the cabin and had been opened with a letter left. It just said we needed to carry any bottles of wine aboard and not check them. Our other bag without any bottle arrived in the cabin much earlier. We always board as soon as possible and in this case we were onboard by noon. Let the party begin!

In Australian ports this year we brought on 2 bottles each at Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Fremantle. We have also done the same in LA, and various ports in Chile and Argentina, Vancouver and Alaskan ports.

Need to edit that. I should have said we brought on two bottles at each of the ports. No questions asked.

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing a case of wine onboard at embarkation?

We have no problem paying the $15/bottle but want to put the case through with our luggage as we have in the past. (No comments about how much we drink - it's a 28 day cruise :p )

Again - anyone have any experience with this lately?

Thanks!

Bringing wine and alcohol back onboard at a port stop seems to be a bit hit and miss. If the table is set up and they see you have a bottle of wine, you will be charged $15 corking fee which I have no problem with. Last cruise we stopped in Nassau where I had bought a bottle of my favorite gin. I was able to carry it onboard and to my stateroom. I never saw the table nor did anyone indicate I needed to visit it. This happened last year in Aruba as well.

My partner forgot and put a bottle of wine in the checked bag. It did not arrive until after 5 PM to the cabin and had been opened with a letter left. It just said we needed to carry any bottles of wine aboard and not check them. Our other bag without any bottle arrived in the cabin much earlier. We always board as soon as possible and in this case we were onboard by noon. Let the party begin!

I've found that they can't be bothered to collect alcohol on the past days before you disembark. It's to much trouble to collect it only to have to deliver it to your cabin a the next day. Was Nassau a final stop before arriving back to Ft Lauderdale?

Last year at Gibraltar (our last port) a table to check in alcohol was set up on the the quay. Here all purchases were logged and returned on the last night.

There was a very, very long queue of passengers waiting to check in.

This happened at no other port of call.

Does anyone have recent experience with bringing a case of wine onboard at embarkation?

We have no problem paying the $15/bottle but want to put the case through with our luggage as we have in the past. (No comments about how much we drink - it's a 28 day cruise :p )

Thanks!

You have to carry it on. I have a fold up hand truck (Costco). Case of wine on the hand truck, carry-on on top of that. Took a case on Grand Princess this past March. 10 of 12 were charged corkage. I forgot to mention the other 2 in carry-ons. Hand truck fit in suitcase on the way home.

Thanks!

You shouldn't have a problem taking a carton but it has to be carried on. It can't go in you luggage. We took 12 with us last November and paid corkage on 10 after we went through security they had a desk setup just for that purpose. They will attach a small label to the 10 you paid corkage on to show that it had been paid so that you are not asked to pay corkage again if you take them to the dining room.

Enjoy your cruise and the wine.