Prescription meds questions

mom22boys

How many cruises don't stop in a country other than the USA? My last three cruises have all require a flight over an ocean and clearing customs and immigration in a country other than the USA. It might not be a problem if you are getting on a closed loop cruise in Miami. Not so much if you are traversing through any number of countries. Try telling customs in UAE that you don't need a prescription and pills in their original container. Let's see how far that gets you.

I don't think any of us were talking about UAE or any mid-east or eastern Asia ports. I think most references were thinking mostly of Caribbean or even western Europe.

This is what I use since I have both AM and PM medications. I have 6 prescriptions, 4 vitamins and a daily aspirin that I take. 2 of my prescriptions are taken both in the AM and the PM. These little bags hold them nicely and if I have more than an 8 day trip I use the little button bags that I save (I use these for traveling with necklaces as well). The pouch itself has a zipper section I slip the extras in along with a photo copy of the 6 small slips that came with the prescription (on one sheet) and a typed list of all the medications/vitamins, my diagnosed conditions, my doctor and my insurance information (I also keep a copy of this in my purse and DH has a copy in his wallet).

LewisNClark_pillcase.jpg.45a1bc17bda742bb6bb2a2f8d6f774e5.jpg

Edited by Warm Breezes

You're welcome. I use the 2x3 baggies.

https://www.sciplus.com/p/CLEAR-ZIPSEAL-BAG-2-X-3-PKG-100_40938

Just make sure they are heavy duty. The first ones I bought at Michael's were too thin and they kept breaking. I bought new thicker ones and they are much better. LOL Unfortunately for me I bought a life time's worth. It was only around $10 and I think I got a thousand of them. Oh well, I gave some to my DD to use around her house for loose board game pieces etc.

I'll add that I never thought of doing this. I've always travelled with the original bottles but as we've gotten old the bottle sizes and amount have increased. I LOVE using the single baggies. They take a little bit more time in advance but then you just pull out your morning or evening baggie and you're done.

I never could understand the 'I did it before with no problem' answer for many posts to different questions.

To the original OP and to anyone taking prescription meds, If you fainted on deck and needed medical help, will someone know every pill and every dose that you are taking so an emergency person will be able to give you someone that wont badly interact with what you are taking?

its so much safer to take your prescription bottles or at minimum a list of all of your meds, the amount and dosage information too.

its not only about 'people saying something'. its about your own safety

I put all of my meds in pill boxes but have taken photos on my cell phone which I have with me All of the time. If you are really concerned, you should give a copy of med list to ship doctor.

Just make sure they are heavy duty. The first ones I bought at Michael's were too thin and they kept breaking. I bought new thicker ones and they are much better. LOL Unfortunately for me I bought a life time's worth. It was only around $10 and I think I got a thousand of them. Oh well, I gave some to my DD to use around her house for loose board game pieces etc.

I'll add that I never thought of doing this. I've always travelled with the original bottles but as we've gotten old the bottle sizes and amount have increased. I LOVE using the single baggies. They take a little bit more time in advance but then you just pull out your morning or evening baggie and you're done.

The problem isn't too many baggies. It's not enough cruising! ;)

I don't think any of us were talking about UAE or any mid-east or eastern Asia ports. I think most references were thinking mostly of Caribbean or even western Europe.

Even in Western Europe you are walking into another country with your medications. I think it is foolish to assume that you might not have your bags searched and unlabeled medications seized--and even possibly face arrest. Far too many US citizens assume that US laws apply wherever they travel. Not the case.

And with a very few exceptions, you leave the US to take a cruise.

So then feel free to start your own topic on it or quote the proper person. My post was in response to others who were discussing US law, not UAE or elsewhere.

And with a very few exceptions, you leave the US to take a cruise.

And with a very few exceptions, if you leave from a US port, you disembark at a US port, and you don't take your luggage through customs in the other countries you visit. Your meds stay in your cabin.

Even in Western Europe you are walking into another country with your medications. I think it is foolish to assume that you might not have your bags searched and unlabeled medications seized--and even possibly face arrest. Far too many US citizens assume that US laws apply wherever they travel. Not the case.

Seriously? Are you claiming that customs officials come on board cruise ships at port calls and search pax cabins. On the off they have some reason to search a cabin, a smuggling investigation being the most likely, do you really think they'll take a pharmacy label that is based on a state's laws, at face value?

Just a thought about this... no, I wouldn't expect customs to be looking in a cabin for medication, but at airports arriving/departing, there might be some confusion in Western Europe where medication is all in blister packs- pill counting isn't used any more. A large unlabelled bottle containing pills may well be of interest, (although I would hope that officers are trained to know that some countries do pill count into bottles).

Seriously? Are you claiming that customs officials come on board cruise ships at port calls and search pax cabins. On the off they have some reason to search a cabin, a smuggling investigation being the most likely, do you really think they'll take a pharmacy label that is based on a state's laws, at face value?

Think about the logistics of taking a cruise in Europe. Unless you are going back and forth from NY to Southampton on Cunard, you are either starting or finishing your trip in Europe. When you arrive either at the port or the airport you need to go through customs, and they have the right to search your bag and confiscate medication not properly labeled. Or have you figured out how to teleport form the ship to your home?

Think about the logistics of taking a cruise in Europe. Unless you are going back and forth from NY to Southampton on Cunard, you are either starting or finishing your trip in Europe. When you arrive either at the port or the airport you need to go through customs, and they have the right to search your bag and confiscate medication not properly labeled. Or have you figured out how to teleport form the ship to your home?

No, I'm not going to think about anything but the logistics of a cruise that begins and ends in a US port that one drives to. That's the topic, despite repeated attempts to dematerialize it. Live long and prosper.

Edited by CPT Trips