Any Germans on Carnival?

Hello,

i was wondering whether you noticed some Germans on your cruises with Carnival? I'm able to speak English and I'd like to meet people from other countries, too, but it's always nice to meet some people who speak your native language. I know that Carnival is an US cruise line, that's why I think the most pax are US citizens, but are there also a few Germans or generally Europeans?

I know that the question seems kind of weird, but please don't get it wrong.

Regards

Edited by german__cruiser

Hello,

i was wondering whether you noticed some Germans on your cruises with Carnival? I'm able to speak English and I'd like to meet people from other countries, too, but it's always nice to meet some people who speak your native language. I know that Carnival is an US cruise line, that's why I think the most pax are US citizens, but are there also a few Germans or generally Europeans?

Regards

I was on a cruise on the Carnival Sensation on May 14, and (according to the Captain) there were about 500 people from Germany. Very friendly folks (Volk?) and very polite. Most of them spoke excellent English.

On one ship a few years ago, there was a German security officer. I know you will enjoy a Carnival cruise but I wonder if you know Carnival has a German line.

https://www.aida.de/

Yes, I know that there's AIDA, but thank you. If you say the word "cruise" (well, in German it's actually "Kreuzfahrt") in Germany, everybody immediately thinks of AIDA, but I just thought that the Carnival Vista would be the better experience and talking some English is nice, too.

It might depend on where you are sailing.

The captains are much of the sailing crew are Italian.

The rest of the workers on the ship are mostly from eastern Europe, Asia and the Caribbean.

There are few I have met from other European countries.

On occasion we have met groups from French speaking Canada, and China . There are also folks from many countries who speak their native language but live in the USA like Mexican speaking spanish or Russians but I have not heard much German.

That doesn't mean you won't find someone but it is fairly unlikely.

On the Magic on March 27 I met a German lady that was sailing with her teenage daughter and sister. They had just completed a month long RV trip around Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana before getting on the Magic in Galveston. It was fun to talk to her, she manages a 40000 sq foot disco in Berlin, had all kinds of cool pictures and stories. She said her daughter bought 41 t-shirts and they needed to buy suitcases for the flight home. :D

Yes, I know that there's AIDA, but thank you. If you say the word "cruise" (well, in German it's actually "Kreuzfahrt") in Germany, everybody immediately thinks of AIDA, but I just thought that the Carnival Vista would be the better experience and talking some English is nice, too.

Did you ever hear of "Mein Schiff", a part of TUI? Sorry, but it is half owned by RCCL, and has some great ships, including the former Celebrity Galaxy and Mercury, plus new builds. They have 5 ships now.

https://tuicruises.com/

Trust me, the entire cruise world is not Carnival, and you can find Germans on other lines too, such as Celebrity, Cunard, etc.

Hello,

Regards

Yes VERY weird, try MSC.

Yes VERY weird, try MSC.

How exactly is a simple question "VERY weird"? :confused:

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there were folks from multiple countries on our last couple of cruises, including Germans.

I knew about other lines like AIDA, TUI or MSC but the I liked the Vista and it's itinerary the most, so I booked it.

I'm also looking forward to speak some English, I just wanted to know whether there will also be some Germans and @riclop:

Could you explain what you're meaning?

Your question is really not one that folks can really answer. NO one can guarantee that someone on your cruise will speak German. Even if some folks in the past have met a few German speakers on their cruise ,that doesn't mean there will be German speaking folks on your cruise. Since the question canNOT really be answered it is a little strange to ask about it.

It is certainly possible that someone on the cruise ship,whether a passenger or one of the crew, may speak German but who can tell??? It is not usual so therefore a bit strange.

Your question is really not one that folks can really answer. NO one can guarantee that someone on your cruise will speak German. Even if some folks in the past have met a few German speakers on their cruise ,that doesn't mean there will be German speaking folks on your cruise. Since the question canNOT really be answered it is a little strange to ask about it.

It is certainly possible that someone on the cruise ship,whether a passenger or one of the crew, may speak German but who can tell??? It is not usual so therefore a bit strange.

Yes I know, what you mean. I didn't actually want to know whether there WILL be, I rather wanted to know if you met some. My question was a bit confusing, I'm sorry.

I knew about other lines like AIDA, TUI or MSC but the I liked the Vista and it's itinerary the most, so I booked it.

I'm also looking forward to speak some English, I just wanted to know whether there will also be some Germans and @riclop:

Could you explain what you're meaning?

riclop is just stirring the pot. Pay no attention to him.

Hello,

Regards

I have "seen" many foreigners on our cruises, but I've never had a conversation with them due to the language barrier. I have tried to help a few when they had no idea how to operate the machines/token machines in the laundry room. I don't expect them to learn English, but it is the language that is used most often.

Edited by elliair

HI all!

german_cruiser ~ which Vista sailing did you book? If it's one in Europe there's probably a good chance there will be Germans onboard.

I've only done 3 Carnival cruises from Florida but don't recall any Germans & I listen for them as DH is German so I look to practise my few words.I have spoken to some on NCL & Royal though.

~ Jo ~ :)

Well I'm not German, but Danish and even if we are neighbors I do not speak German (had it in school for 5 years). My English is my second language, so it wouldn't help to meet me onboard :D

There are other lines where you will find more Europeans as the lines do a lot more advertising towards the European countries. Therefore many will only know Carnival if they do some research on their own.

For example I haven't seen anything in the press about the Vista (even as it's sailing in Europe now), but I've seen a bunch about the new RCCL ship. Maybe because it's the world largest, but RCCL also do a lot toward the Danish (and probably the German) marked.

With that said if you are going on Vista out of Maimi and doing a typically German out of school period I'm pretty sure that you will not be the only German on the ship. But maybe you will just not meet ;)

Also on the 3 and 4 day cruises you will be more likely to find other Europeans than on the longer cruises. I did a 3 days Bahamas cruise (with RCCL) and ran into a lot of Europeans- including Danish and Germans.

My son and I will be on the Breeze out of Galveston this Christmas and since Galveston isn't the obvious choice for Europeans I would be very surprised if we meet any "neighbors" :)

Yes I have sail with German speaking folks many times. I would think it is hit or miss depending on the cruise. Since we speak a little German maybe we seek them out. I would Google you possible cruises see if any tour groups are on that speak German. or book thu a TA that would know

We met lots of Germans on the MSC Divina out of Miami to the Caribbean. And lots of other nationalities too. It was a much more diverse/multicultural experience than we had on Carnival or Princess. We loved it! If that's what you're looking for, try MSC (their website is not that great, call them once you've decided which cruise you're going on, it'll be less frustrating).

On one of my 28 Carnival cruises, maybe the Valor?, announcements were made first in English, then in German, as there was a large German group on board.

I had 2 years of German in HS, so I tried to decipher the announcements - 50 yrs later, it sure helped hearing the English version first!