Koningsdam---problem with internet/Windows 10??

GeneBK

I am booked on a July cruise on the Koningsdam. When I'm cruising, the internet is very important; I have to keep up with a bit of work that never vacations.

Coincidentally, I have a friend presently on the Koningsdam on nearly an identical cruise. He reports via email---

"My Levono, Windows 10, I3 computer will not hook up to the ship. The IT guy spent over an hour with no success. I have to rely on a small tablet."

After over eight weeks of active cruising with over 2000 passengers, I can't believe this is a common, unsolved problem. I can only assume that there is a bizarre problem in the operating system settings on my friend's computer, although strange that the IT guy couldn't solve it.

Put my worries to rest---I'd like to hear from anyone recently on the Koningsdam who had smooth connecting with a Windows 10 laptop.....ideally a Lenovo.

Thanks!!

I am booked on a July cruise on the Koningsdam. When I'm cruising, the internet is very important; I have to keep up with a bit of work that never vacations.

Coincidentally, I have a friend presently on the Koningsdam on nearly an identical cruise. He reports via email---

"My Levono, Windows 10, I3 computer will not hook up to the ship. The IT guy spent over an hour with no success. I have to rely on a small tablet."

After over eight weeks of active cruising with over 2000 passengers, I can't believe this is a common, unsolved problem. I can only assume that there is a bizarre problem in the operating system settings on my friend's computer, although strange that the IT guy couldn't solve it.

My Windows 10 laptop will not even connect properly at home with the HAL website; I have to use Chrome. My IT guy worked the problem for several days before giving up. Strange, since HAL offers Windows 10 workshops on board.

Windows 10 is an operating system. Chrome is a browser. Two different issues. Actually connecting with the wifi system on the ship is probably a settings issue on the Lenovo. Small possibility it is Windows 10. Very slight possibility, based on the descriptions, that it has anything to do with a browser.

My Windows 10 laptop will not even connect properly at home with the HAL website; I have to use Chrome. My IT guy worked the problem for several days before giving up. Strange, since HAL offers Windows 10 workshops on board.

Things to check

Computer can connect to HAL HOTSPOT.... not the website, but can the computer connect to the hotspot.

If it connects but fails to pull up the Icafe page.... he may have settings that configure his computer to use a proxy server. This is common if you have a a computer you use for work that connects to the company intranet. They often turn on the proxy sever. You have to turn it off to use it for something other than work..

It has nothing to do with windows 10

I was on the Christening cruise of Koningsdam, have a Lenovo Miix 700 with W10Pro and used it successfully in several venues on board. I also used my Android-based smartphone extensively with no intranet or internet connection issues. It's unlikely, as mentioned above, that W10 is the culprit itself, nor likely it is has much to do with the brand of computer (beyond bizarre antenna placement issues.)

It is important to be sure, as "The-Inside-Cabin" suggests, you don't have a proxy server or VPN set up in the connection settings. If you are using a work provided computer, these processes can often be set to auto-configure when connecting to the internet over a new network connection. In some cases this can't easily be overridden. So, be certain that you are using the ship's proxy process instead of your own by making sure you have no proxy set up under the "Internet Properties" / "Connections" window. The easiest way to do this is to set up "Koningsdam-Guest" as a new public network and use all default settings. Also, be sure your anti-virus software is set to allow traffic through the firewall on this network.

Not sure who the "IT guy" is on Koningsdam as there is no internet manager any longer. There is an events staff person who will occupy the desk in the Explorations Cafe' various hours who might help with connection issues but isn't a dedicated IT person.

Edited by 0bnxshs

If you have problems you might try talking to the Digital Workshop instructors rather than the HAL person on the Explorations Cafe desk. Or can you do your work from the ship's computers?

Edited by catl331

I understood the friend's email to mean that the computer would not connect to the ships WIFI.

I mentioned Windows 10 because I experienced a nearly identical problem several years ago using Windows 8 on Seabourn. With the help of their IT support, it ended up necessary to retreat to a Command Prompt, to manually edit the WIFI directory before the computer would connect. I can't remember the details.

Thanks for the one reply which mentions actual successful WIFI connection---Windows 10 on Koningsdam. That kind of report is the reassurance I was looking for.

I have been places in the world where my old IBM or Lenovo laptop would not connect to host Wifi. What seemed to work for me is checking the network adapter card drivers and updating if necessary. There are periodic updates to the drivers and depending on the age of the laptop and card/drivers in it there can be incompatibilities with new(er) technology. New(er) technology being what the host wifi is currently using and not all are always backwards compatible. This is what happened to me with my old IBM laptop. I suspect that the Koningsdam being a new ship has pretty current wifi technology. You can check your drivers in advance of your cruise.

I really doubt the problem is windows, but your friends laptop in some way. That and I have yet to find any ship (sattelite) internet truly reliable.