New luggage

cheerldrmom

Needing to buy some new luggage. Was thinking hard luggage this time around. Of course the one I picked (having second thoughts) is light gray how badly do they get marked up should I opt for darker. Thoughts? And some of your favorites. Mind u I go to TJMaxx for luggage. So no real high end

I bought a set of Heys hard shell from QVC. It has a wild color pattern that makes it easy to find when they unload it at the dock. I needed a 29 inch case for a 10 day trip to Alaska so I bought one at TJ Maxx for $60.00 on a super sale. By the time I landed in Canada it had deep scratches. When I returned to my home airport my luggage came out with the whole side dented in. Delta replaced it without question. They said they see it a lot with the hard shell cases. In the middle of the baggage area I had to remove everything from my dented case and cram it into new black Skyway brand hard shell suit case that doesn't look like it will last long. So, I guess not all hard shells are made the same way. Like you I don't like dirty marked up luggage. The hard shells are easy to wipe off.

Happy shopping.

Diana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by ansoninc

I love our hard shell luggage. We have Samsonite and American Tourister. Yes it will get marks on it, but the stuff on the inside is better protected which is the most important. We have been travelling with our cases for 8 years now. Still in fantastic condition, money well spent.

I have a set of Hey's hard shell luggage and I love them. While they are hard sided, the material is also flexible as well, making it less prone to dents. Mine are also printed, making them easy to spot. Doesn't hurt, too, that the middle size has a cruise ship on it. [emoji6]

14403781c2e26dcf06daf8fe86f10368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Needing to buy some new luggage. Was thinking hard luggage this time around. Of course the one I picked (having second thoughts) is light gray how badly do they get marked up should I opt for darker. Thoughts? And some of your favorites. Mind u I go to TJMaxx for luggage. So no real high end

Why not "high end?" Travelpro may be a seemingly high cost initial purchase. But, the best of their offerings are guaranteed forever. I still have 20+ year old roll-aboards (same as you see pulled along by flight crews), which are easily repaired as needed by a strong network of service centers nationwide.

also the bag resrictions say not over 62" overall or pay extra... well if the bag is a 29 stated on the tag when you add it up its over 62 including wheels are they real strict about this.... looking to take either a 28 or 29 in...

also the bag resrictions say not over 62" overall or pay extra... well if the bag is a 29 stated on the tag when you add it up its over 62 including wheels are they real strict about this.... looking to take either a 28 or 29 in...

They are more concerned with the weight. If you are over by and inch or two most likely they are not going to even notice. Carry on, now that is a different story as some gate agents are much more vigilant about the size than others.

When shopping for suitcases most have tags that give the total measurements in inches. The manufacturers know what the airlines require. Of course the total inches do not include the expander inches if used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I have found is that these hard side cases can hold a lot more than soft side luggage. I don't really know why, but I can easily get a whole weeks worth of clothes in the smallest bag. Also, I have learned it is best that the hard side cases you check be completely full so they don't get crushed.

All will get filthy fairly quickly....hard sides, are easy to wipe off...a bit of 409 will do the trick!....if you really care!

We have used all colors of luggage...but we find something tied to the handles (unique to us) does the trick, as far as finding your bag quickly goes. There will ALWAY be duplicate luggage types in every flight/sailing/trip!

For most purchases I tend to lean toward fewer items of higher quality, like three pairs of high quality shoes rather than ten pairs of mid-range ones.

I've moved away from that thinking with luggage, however.

Luggage is one of the few things I own that is often not in my control when it is in use, so I have little control over how well it is (or is not) taken care of. After a couple of expensive losses, I moved over to the cheap and replace it school of luggage. Oddly, some of the cheap stuff (I'm talking $30 for a three-piece set at Bed, Bath & Beyond) lasted for ten years. I figure I got my money's worth in the first year and every one since has been gravy, so to speak.

What I have found is that these hard side cases can hold a lot more than soft side luggage. I don't really know why, but I can easily get a whole weeks worth of clothes in the smallest bag. Also, I have learned it is best that the hard side cases you check be completely full so they don't get crushed.

This is exactly what I thought. My hard shell suitcase so crammed with stuff that the Delta check in at Fairbanks told me that my suitcase was 2.5 pounds over weight and I had to take things out and put in my carry on bag. Still my suitcase arrived with the side smashed in. :p

I had two hard sided cases broken at the corners near the wheels on the same vacation. I didn't notice it until we got home so don't know if the cruise line or the airline did the damage. I went back to the soft sided cases with wheels that aren't too protruding. The overall size counts the wheels if the airlines are getting picky and oversize and overweight fees are pricey. I have had the best/expensive bags broken as fast as the less expensive brands so now go to the discounters for luggage. Take a tape measure with you when you go to buy.

This is exactly what I thought. My hard shell suitcase so crammed with stuff that the Delta check in at Fairbanks told me that my suitcase was 2.5 pounds over weight and I had to take things out and put in my carry on bag. Still my suitcase arrived with the side smashed in. :p

A ballistic nylon soft-side case the size of our large polycarbonate cases weighs about 8 lbs more. A hand held scale from Amazon for $15 is a great investment. Our cases have 10-year warranty. We've yet to have an issue through 3 cruises and a resort vacation.