I should have listened to my gut- now I am hosed

Judge Judy also crossed my mind, haha. I've seen a few cases involving cruise vacations and 10 out of 10 times, the "friend" canceling is the one that gets the wrath of Judge Judy! [emoji85]

She c ould have paid the OP back with the $ in her coin purse if she wanted to! :eek:

I would make it clear to her that if she officially cancels, not only is Carnival going to keep her money because the cruise is so soon, but they are then going to turn around and charge you for the single supplement. .

They don't keep the money AND charge a single supplement. The other fare IS the single supplement.

They don't keep the money AND charge a single supplement. The other fare IS the single supplement.

The gist of it is her friend is cancelling so she will be reimbursed by her employer. That leaves the OP to pay the supplement or not go herself and that is another loss for the OP because the refund for her is small because the cruise is soon.

I wouldn't trust this so called "friend". I wouldn't even put too much trust into her giving you the $1500 (until I had it in my hand). It's sad but that is why I don't have close friends. As soon as you think you find a good true friend then something happens to break the trust and/or friendship. I would never do anyone this way. Judge Judy came to my mind also. I wish you the best OP and please keep us posted.

They most certainly do. That's why they should be a no show to prevent this.

No they don't. I had to cancel 5 days before cruising, and they refunded everything except the second fare before I sailed. They also fully refunded me a third fare.

No they don't. I had to cancel 5 days before cruising, and they refunded everything except the second fare before I sailed. They also fully refunded me a third fare.

I had the same problem and I was advised to have the second person be a no show otherwise I would forfeit the fare and be charged the single supplement by Carnival. Other people have also reported the same thing. The taxes/port fees/gratuities were refunded to my card before we got off the ship. I also asked my PVP this as well recently. Same answer.

It's best not to cancel just have them be a no show. If they flat out cancel, Carnival keeps the fare as a penalty and now you are going as a solo so the supplement kicks in. Third person doesn't matter so that will be refunded. Had to do that before too but it wasn't 5 days before. You wouldn't have gotten anything back besides taxes/port fees/gratuities that close to sailing either way so I don't buy it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I think I got to this late but if it's still an option you should get her fired somehow so she has to go or she won't be refunded. My wife did this to another girl and it saved her a lot of money. It also weeded her out of our social network and my wife found a new maid of honor for her first wedding.

I would NEVER interfere with anyone else's employment situation. That's opening a whole other can of worms no one wants to be a part of. OP - accept the $1,500, just show up for the cruise, let your former friend be a "no show," and enjoy. I don't ever go "in" with anyone in terms of vacations. I always book separately (even if it means costing me more money) to avoid this very issue. Don't be mad - be glad - she probably would have been a lousy companion on the cruise. Now you can go and meet new friends!

So very sorry! This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Too late to add anyone else and if she canceled she would lose out. So she went solo. She said she hasn't spoken to the "friend" since.

Make lemonade - read lots of books and rest and relax.

Last year, I had to cancel my portion of a cruise 2 days before, because my father passed away.

My friend went on it by herself & Carnival did not charge her anything extra.

Fortunately, I had insurance to cover my portion.

I had the same problem and I was advised to have the second person be a no show otherwise I would forfeit the fare and be charged the single supplement by Carnival. Other people have also reported the same thing. The taxes/port fees/gratuities were refunded to my card before we got off the ship. I also asked my PVP this as well recently. Same answer.

It's best not to cancel just have them be a no show. If they flat out cancel, Carnival keeps the fare as a penalty and now you are going as a solo so the supplement kicks in. Third person doesn't matter so that will be refunded. Had to do that before too but it wasn't 5 days before. You wouldn't have gotten anything back besides taxes/port fees/gratuities that close to sailing either way so I don't buy it.

Sounded funny to me too.

Last year, I had to cancel my portion of a cruise 2 days before, because my father passed away.

My friend went on it by herself & Carnival did not charge her anything extra.

Fortunately, I had insurance to cover my portion.

Well she was very fortunate then as that is not commonplace nor their policy. It also could have been that that particular cruise may have had a solo special as well.

Once you cancel a person based on the occupancy, it rearranges the fare. Hence solo cruisers are typically charged double. Once the second person is removed the dynamics change. The second person's fare is forfeited as a penalty now leaving the cabin as single occupancy. The remaining guest must make up that fare the same way as if they booked originally as a solo cruiser. Much like if you book a three person cabin and cancel the third person, they can move you to a two person cabin. Many people choose to just have them be a no show to prevent that.

Anyway no sense in arguing about it. Carnival's policy is what I stated before. It was confirmed when I had that same situation happen to me and also by my PVP very recently. That's why so many people chose the no show route and some insurance companies also cover the additional cost (solo supplement) in case a room mate has to cancel.

I don't have time to read through all the responses right now as I am headed out the door so someone may have already said this. Check with your insurance provider. Most will cover the single supplement if your roommate has to cancel for a covered reason (her work won't let her go)...

They most certainly do. That's why they should be a no show to prevent this.

Wow. That is extremely crappy of Carnival. I had a similar situation on Princess and they just forfeited their share. I was not charged a supplement.

Wow. That is extremely crappy of Carnival. I had a similar situation on Princess and they just forfeited their share. I was not charged a supplement.

I would have to guess you were very fortunate too. Im not even going to pretend to know Princess's policy regarding this but Im pretty sure this is common practice across all mass market cruise lines. I sure know Royal does it. Its always been of common opinion to just have the other guest "no show" to avoid this.

Edited by ryano

OP, hopefully you don't cancel because of you friend. You should still go as a solo. You will meet many nice people and you will have a great time. Especially since you will have the cabin all to yourself and you can do what you want.

I hope you still take the cruise. Have a great time.:cool:

This would be the same as a "no show" on Carnival. The second person could just not cancel and forfeit their share and there will be no other charges.

The issue is the other person has to cancel to provide proof to work of what they are out so that they can be reimbursed.

I'm still wondering why the $1500 wouldn't cover the second cruise fare. If everything else is already paid for, the OP could use that money to pay the new single supplement and go on the cruise she paid for. It's a PITA that she's having to travel because the friend is not going and picked the different port, however at least this way, she gets to cruise.

This would be the same as a "no show" on Carnival. The second person could just not cancel and forfeit their share and there will be no other charges.

The issue is the other person has to cancel to provide proof to work of what they are out so that they can be reimbursed.

I'm still wondering why the $1500 wouldn't cover the second cruise fare. If everything else is already paid for, the OP could use that money to pay the new single supplement and go on the cruise she paid for. It's a PITA that she's having to travel because the friend is not going and picked the different port, however at least this way, she gets to cruise.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I doubt that each of their fares were $1500. I would take the money and go by myself in a heartbeat!

I've followed this some with a passing curiosity...a few things don't make sense, but regardless, I too wondered why the $1500 was not enough to cover the fare.

But, not to start slamming Carnival, they state the cancelation policies up front so we all are aware of whats involved, but I guess where I'd have some issue with Carnival is if this friend "cancels" vs a no show, we know Carnival does not refund the majority if any of the fare paid, they then "turn" to the other person and say, sorry kid, your friend bailed, you still wanna go, cough up an additional $$$$ and you can go, otherwise, sorry. Really? I guess that does not sit with me very well. Cancel/no show...same difference to Carnival..they have both cruise fares and someone to possibly collect more onboard $$ from....but they'd rather hold both fares paid, and have the non-canceled pax pay more?? Yea...that one doesn't go down well.

Edited by bar1068

I've followed this some with a passing curiosity...a few things don't make sense, but regardless, I too wondered why the $1500 was not enough to cover the fare.

But, not to start slamming Carnival, they state the cancelation policies up front so we all are aware of whats involved, but I guess where I'd have some issue with Carnival is if this friend "cancels" vs a no show, we know Carnival does not refund the majority if any of the fare paid, they then "turn" to the other person and say, sorry kid, your friend bailed, you still wanna go, cough up an additional $$$$ and you can go, otherwise, sorry. Really? I guess that does not sit with me very well. Cancel/no show...same difference to Carnival..they have both cruise fares and someone to possibly collect more onboard $$ from....but they'd rather hold both fares paid, and have the non-canceled pax pay more?? Yea...that one doesn't go down well.

The $1500 probably included airfare.

I know the policy of charging single supplement does seem unfair if they still have most of cancelled cruisers fare, but that appears to be what they do. This has been discussed many times by people who had this happen to them. Thus it's better to have the person that can't go be a no show.

I see you have not mastered the difference between a cancel and a no show. A cancel empties 1 bed and that passenger is refunded what is due. That leaves an unpaid bed. A no show is a passenger who has paid for the bed but simply doesn't show up and makes no claim for refund.. No refund except taxes.