Getting small $ notes in UK?

Anyone know where in the UK I can just walk in and get some small denomination dollar notes? Would like to have some for tipping room service etc.

Post Office seems like you have to order it and a minimum of $400. Unless you know different?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Easiest thing is to just get money out of a cashpoint when you get to the US. That's going to be $20 bills, so just buy a bag of M&Ms (or a bottle of water, or whatever) from any nearby convenience store, and bingo, you'll have small bills.

I think your information about the Post Office is wrong - unless they've very recently changed things. A few months ago I walked in (i.e. no pre-order) and purchased around $300 - the cashier asked if I wanted any specific denominations and so I got $20 in $1s and another $20 in $5s for tips (in hindsight, not enough!)

I think your information about the Post Office is wrong - unless they've very recently changed things. A few months ago I walked in (i.e. no pre-order) and purchased around $300 - the cashier asked if I wanted any specific denominations and so I got $20 in $1s and another $20 in $5s for tips (in hindsight, not enough!)

£400 is the minimum for advance order with the Post Office, and not all branches offer 'on-demand'.

I use No.1 currency where I live - i know they have lots of branches, it depends where in the UK you live of course :)

Have used them a few times to get small denomination $ notes for tipping and their rates are as good as most.

Possibly take a look at the Martin Lewis website (money saving expert). They give lots of help for exchange rates etc and they are independent.

M&S normally have good rates and even better if you have their credit card. They also have a large selection of denominations, so no problem getting loads of $1 bills.

Agree with Newportdave...find that M&S always offer variety of denomination notes, with good rates on their credit card. Guest Services helpful too.