Recommend a river cruise line for us please

katmu

Although I too deplore their pricing and payment policies as well as their corporate clumsiness :rolleyes: in communicating, I must in fairness point out that Viking provided some really great lemonade (ie. customer service) once a cruise began.

Several years ago in December on the Main there was backup at the lock system. (We were told that there was a lock mechanical failure :rolleyes: - I am certain it was too many ships.) We made an unscheduled stop at Hassfurt instead of just sitting on the ship to wait. It is a small charming town with some interesting historic architecture. The dock was 3 blocks from the main street and it happened to be the local market day. There was no guide but was an easy morning walk. This was a delightful added port showing real interest on Viking's part for the quality of customer experience.

Last year I was on the shrinking Elbe. Fortunately there was still enough water for 90% of the sailing. However, we skipped the first port in the Czech Republic and went to the ship in Decin instead. There we docked overnight beneath an 18th century castle. The morning scheduled for sailing was free and I had time to walk up into the castle where I found a small Baroque rose garden about 50 feet above the surrounding landscape. The 17th century archituecture and sculpture, the roses in full bloom, and the air full of the scent of the roses and the hum of bumblebees gave me one of me best travel experiences.:D That afternoon we took a bus to Literomice, the scheduled tour.

For me, these adjustments enhanced the trips. I admit that I like a bus ride if the ship can't get to the port.

I've taken several trips on both Viking and Vantage. Viking repeatedly provided experiential compensation and enhancement in these and other difficult situations. Vantage has never done this for me.

Interesting . . . Sounds like good lemonade. Your Vantage comment makes me a bit nervous.

Just wanted to note that your unscheduled experiences are the sort of thing that could likely lead to a "learning and discovery" activity on GCT.

Edited by CPT Trips

I'll give it a shot describing GCT. As I have not traveled with the expensive lines, I can't compare them.

Entertainment . . . Two years ago on the Rhein - Mosel we had a keyboardist that performed many nights. This was a first for us. In March, on the Seine, no onboard musician. Our five cruises had local musical and folk dance groups come on board several (maybe half) of the evenings.

A couple nights each trip there was the opportunity to go into the city with one or more of the program directors for a "learning and discovery" activity. A walk to see the evening sights, or a visit to local cafe/pub/Biergarten.

The obligatory crew show. Pretty much seen one seen them all. Except that the personalities change. We seem to always leave in a good mood.

Trivia style game night(s) with the topics based on the locality and/cruise theme.

"Learning and Discovery" - GCT is big on this.

Each trip has a home hosted visit, either a meal or an afternoon snack, with a local family and maybe a half dozen cruisers.

Local artisans or artists may come on board for a demonstration or "class."

Usually there are a couple talks/panel discussions on historical or current events. Think topics such as growing up in the aftermath of WWII, life under communism, the EU, Syrian refugees, why are the French striking . . . Just about everything. Also the program director is likely just start a conversation with a random person about something that is happening at the time.

Program Director - most, if not all, other river cruise lines have one cruise/tour director/manager that organizes the group activities and tours turning the cruisers over to local guides for each walking or bus tour. GCT's model is different; they have multiple Program Directors, in our experience one for no more than 40 cruisers. The exact number of PDs depends on the number of pax.

The PD may actually provide the scheduled tour or they may turn the group over to a local guide and accompany the group. They will be with the group for the entirety of the scheduled activity as well as on any transportation that goes with it. They don't just send you off with a local guide. When there a a tour followed by free time the PD will establish the meeting time and place for the return to the ship.

You will be assigned to a PD and be with their group for the cruise. Each group will see the same things on each scheduled tour although not at the same time or in the same order. But, you will not have a choice between say the wine tour, the beer tour, or the chocolate tour as appears to be the case with some other lines.

When you need to get advice or information, any of the PDs will help you. In fact "your" PD may refer you to one of the others because they have more knowledge about your subject.

Meals All seating is open. Most tables of six, maybe a table or two for four, and a few larger. The hotel manager is very visible at meals.

Breakfast is buffet served over about an hour and a half. Early bird is set up in the lounge. Made to order omelets are available. They do a pretty good job with temperature control.

Lunch pretty much a set time, but if you just want the buffet you can arrive late. Soup is served, don't expect it if you arrive late. There are several made to order options available from the menu as well as a salad bar, hot and cold buffet and a pasta station. Beer and wine served.

Dinner is a set time. Soup, salad, appetizer, main and dessert. For the most part two or three choices of each and a couple of "always available" items. Mains are cooked to order as the earlier courses are served. A theme dinner is likely one night, and it will probably be a buffet. Beer and wine served.

Beer will be whatever is on draft, most likely a pils. Wine is red or white out of a carafe that probably can from a bag in a box. Don't have high expectations. You can buy a bottle or a wine package. I think, but don't know for a fact, that corkage is charged if you bring your own. I have seen folks carry a glass in with them . . . who knows the origin.

Special diets are accommodated very well. Inform them in advance and confirm on board. I was on a special diet for one cruise. Shortly after checking in, I sat down with the chef and restaurant manager to go over my specific limitations and figure out the first nights meal. After that, every dinner the chef and I would decide on the next day's lunch and dinner.

OK what else? All the cabins are the same basic size, with some variation ship to ship, balconies reduce the inside space. No suites. All beds are twins and fixed in place. They fold up into the wall to convert to a seat. Good pictures of the cabin are on GCT.com.

Nice job!! This is pretty describes what you get with Vantage as well, except Vantage no longer has individual TM....they switched to one TD and a concierge. I was originally opposed, but on my last trip found that it worked very well.

Coffee, tea and hot chocolate were always available in the lounge, although a fellow poster said Vantage was "not as generous with the coffee as Viking" so I'm wondering if that has changed....I certainly hope not. One other difference between Vantage and GCT (owned by brothers in case you didn't know) is the beds. Vantage has all twin beds but they can be reconfigured to be doubles or one queen size. Only french balconies on Vantage ships...but like CPT said real balconies result in smaller cabins because due to the locks the ships can only be so wide or they won't fit.

Ya well I apparently got caught up in the A--h--- posts and all I said was I did not see any rudeness (other than his accusations) ridiculous!

Me too and all I said was similar to what you said about being rude and confrontational. He also said something about our host and I took exception to that as well. Somehow I doubt he'll be back.

Which French cruise? You appear to be doomed! :p. Referred six pax, nice reward! A couple more and you get a free cruise/trip. And the next trip you book will make you inner circle. Then consider GCT's second cruise in one year bonus that gets added to you loyalty credit. You might want to look at the late season specials being offered now through the end of June or early season specials for the 2017 that are likely to be up before long.

Our GCT Cruising Burgundy & Provence to Cote d'Azur trip is fourteen months from now, so perhaps the water levels will be OK by then? We'll see. And all 4 couples bought insurance.

As for rewards, our plan has been to share the benefits with our fellow travelers. That gets complicated - especially when one has to pay tax on the reward - but that's our goal. When my husband retires, we may be able to take advantage of late season specials but not at this stage in our lives. Glad others are able to do so!

Hello,

I am last minute in booking a trip in Oct 2016 river cruise down the danube. I am taking 2 women in the 80s. Choosing between Grand Circle Aria or Ama waterways Ship Stella. The Stella only has one room on the lower level category C rooms. The other room is upper floor with a elevator for the older women. Will we have a problem with engine noise? The Stella is a new ship while Grand circle is older. I am concerned with the women in their 80s and all the walking and accomodating their needs. Recommendations please. Which has better food also?

Our GCT Cruising Burgundy & Provence to Cote d'Azur trip is fourteen months from now, so perhaps the water levels will be OK by then? We'll see. And all 4 couples bought insurance.

As for rewards, our plan has been to share the benefits with our fellow travelers. That gets complicated - especially when one has to pay tax on the reward - but that's our goal. When my husband retires, we may be able to take advantage of late season specials but not at this stage in our lives. Glad others are able to do so!

I have not seen a 1099, but I haven't had six referrals. The new cruiser's should just get a credit/discount, no money. You have plenty of time to do the math.

14 months is plenty of time for a couple floods and a dry river bed.

Me too and all I said was similar to what you said about being rude and confrontational. He also said something about our host and I took exception to that as well. Somehow I doubt he'll be back.

We can only hope :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never gotten a 1099 for referral bonuses or rewards??? Odd

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello,

I am last minute in booking a trip in Oct 2016 river cruise down the danube. I am taking 2 women in the 80s. Choosing between Grand Circle Aria or Ama waterways Ship Stella. The Stella only has one room on the lower level category C rooms. The other room is upper floor with a elevator for the older women. Will we have a problem with engine noise? The Stella is a new ship while Grand circle is older. I am concerned with the women in their 80s and all the walking and accomodating their needs. Recommendations please. Which has better food also?

I'm not clear on all your questions, but will try to answer what I can. (1) Category C rooms on AmaStella are not on the lower level, they are 170sf French Balconies on the middle level (Cello Deck) and top level (Violin Deck), toward the rear of the ship. I recall some reports in the past about engine noise in the rearmost cabins on some river ships, but none from newer ships like this. On the other hand, if you really mean a cabin on the lower level (Piano Deck), that would be a category D or E 160 sf Fixed Window cabin in the middle of the ship -- no engine noise problems at all. (2) When you say the other cabin is on the upper floor, do you mean the Violin Deck (top) or the Cello Deck (mid)? Both those decks have Cat C cabins toward the rear of the ship -- but they are up higher so engine noise should be even less noticeable. All other cabins on those decks are very nice French Balcony or Twin Balcony cabins ranging from 210-350 sf. (3) The elevator on AmaStella serves the Cello and Violin Decks, and the Dining Room and Lounge areas. There may be a stairlift to the Sun Deck, but the Piano Deck is only served by stairs. So the only problem for accessibility would be cabins in Cats D or E on the lower (Piano) deck. (4) AMA is really great with "Gentle Walkers" shore excursions that allow passengers who aren't that mobile to see all the sights at a slower walking pace, and they try to adapt the path to avoid steps where possible -- but nobody can avoid the cobblestones that are very prevalent in Europe. You can also skip the included tour and hire a private guide, or start the tour and then rest at a cafe at some point and rejoin them at the end, or even stay on board ship. (5) AMA is noted for the quality of its food. The Berlitz guide to River Cruising in Europe by Douglas Ward says that AMA spends more per passenger on food than any other river cruise line, and my experience on two AMA cruises bears this out.

I have not seen a 1099, but I haven't had six referrals.

Just as an FYI, here is what I found on the GCT website: "To comply with IRS regulations, you will receive a 1099 Form reporting the bonus earned for any tax year in which you receive more than $600 cash or the free trip reward."

Just as an FYI, here is what I found on the GCT website: "To comply with IRS regulations, you will receive a 1099 Form reporting the bonus earned for any tax year in which you receive more than $600 cash or the free trip reward."

Must be a GCT thing as this has never happened with two other lines I have done this with. Bonus is applied to my fare or as an OBC.

Orlandocruiser,

I have just seen you are one of the unlucky cruisers who will not be able to embark in Basel due to the high water level. I am sure Viking has already informed you. Just wanted to say have a great cruise (and landtrip if I undertand your cruise info correctly) nevertheless. Safe travels.

notamermaid

Thanks but we are doing the pre cruise extension in Bruges and Amsterdam so our ship is Ams to Bas and doesn't leave until Thursday. We have been keeping an eye on the weather and see that it is supposed to warm up some next week and so hope this horrible weather pattern is over. ( Packing for the worst however:))

Must be a GCT thing as this has never happened with two other lines I have done this with. Bonus is applied to my fare or as an OBC.

I had the option to have a credit or cash. Selected cash as we were sharing the benefit so that may be why this happened. May handle things differently with this set of referrals.

My apologies to Katmu for getting off topic!

Edited by Sapphire73

We just returned (mid-June 2016) from an Amsterdam to Bucharest river cruise with Scenic Tours using their Scenic Jasper ship. I am in the age group of your mom so I think she would love the ambience of the ship, the staff with their friendliness and attention to detail, the delicious food, fellow passengers (Aussies, Canadians, some Brits and Americans), the well organized included excursions in each port with local guides who speak English very well, inclusion of wine at lunch and dinner along with cocktails and speciality coffee drinks, and comfortable rooms with enclosed balconies for all weather use and a sitting area - for fresh air the window can be opened. The age group of passengers on this cruise seemed to be 60+,some with walking disabilities. The walking tours were organized so that these people could be in a group together and do the excursion at a slower pace. We opted for the city tours in all ports which often included a comfortable bus ride around the city if the city was large prior to a guided walking tour of the old town for 1 1/2 hours, plus some freetime for at least 1 1/2 hr. On longer excursions bathroom breaks were well planned where free toilet use was available. The cruise director, the night before, explains how the tours will be organized , the start and leave times as well as publishing these details in the daily program so there is no confusion about when events are occurring or what the events will be for the next day. Guests don't have to visit the port; they can opt to stay on board the ship too. The company does provide a short description of the tours in each port in their brochure/website so you can familiarize yourself before the trip. The rooms have free internet use on a wide screen TV that also carries some movies, music, news programs, a view of the river ahead from the captains webcam, weather info, map. The dining area has tables with white tablecloths set for 4-6 with just the one sitting time. Each night you can sit with different people to discuss their travels or sit with friends you make on the ship. Meal times are very enjoyable with many staff dressed in black and white to serve you. Breakfast and lunch are buffet but menus are provided with additional food items to order. Dinner is waiter served. Each course - appetizers, soup, main course, dessert - has choices and if none of those are what you want to eat you can also order steak, salmon, chicken, hamburger, garden salad, caesar salad. Portions are on the small side and attractively served. Dinner takes 2 hours, from 7-9 so don't be concerned how the evening will be spent. The lounge offers a pianist if you don't want to go to your room after dinner. Often in the port before dinner local musicians are invited aboard to sing, dance their ethnic music. The time on the ship just flies by. Most ladies on our ship opted for slacks and a top during day opting for a dressier top over the slacks for the evening - no need for sparkly dresses, long gowns like on ocean cruises. At the end of the cruise there are no expenses to pay (unless you have used the masseur and hairdresser services) as all was paid prior to boarding; even the local guides and bus drivers don't expect a tip as they have been paid. Just bring money for souvenirs and unexpected expenses. As you can tell we were very pleased with our choice of river cruise company - Scenic River Tours and would use them again.

I'm on the Scenic Opal right now, and although I have no basis of comparison to other River cruise lines as this is our first river cruise, I could say that everything has been excellent. It is a variety of ages and nationalities, everyone friendly and welcoming. Excellent staff who are constantly working and trying to please. Food and drink excellent. Ship beautiful! The evening entertainment both at special venues and brought on board is as very good. Tour quality and tour guides outstanding. I would not hesitate to sail Scenic again or to recommend.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hello Orlandocruiser,

Thanks but we are doing the pre cruise extension in Bruges and Amsterdam so our ship is Ams to Bas and doesn't leave until Thursday. We have been keeping an eye on the weather and see that it is supposed to warm up some next week and so hope this horrible weather pattern is over. ( Packing for the worst however:))

then I hope that everything goes well for you and enjoy Bruges! I loved my land trip there. Make sure to try some regional crepes or galettes.

I miscalculated your leaving date and assumed you were starting in Basel. The weather is supposed to improve next week.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Hello Orlandocruiser,

then I hope that everything goes well for you and enjoy Bruges! I loved my land trip there. Make sure to try some regional crepes or galettes.

I miscalculated your leaving date and assumed you were starting in Basel. The weather is supposed to improve next week.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

We loved Bruges too. Be sure to wash your lunch down with a glass of Kriek...it's made with fruit like cherries or strawberries and it's only available in the Springtime. It's delicious and its served in a tulip glass, which if you ask nicely, they may or may not let you keep. I was lucky, they gave me mine.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We loved Bruges too. Be sure to wash your lunch down with a glass of Kriek...it's made with fruit like cherries or strawberries and it's only available in the Springtime. It's delicious and its served in a tulip glass, which if you ask nicely, they may or may not let you keep. I was lucky, they gave me mine.

Kriek is in fact made with cherries. A similar beer, Framboise is made with raspberries. They are lambic type beers, fermented by naturally occurring yeasts, and are certainly available year round, not just in the spring.

It is indeed delicious and one of the first things I would do when visiting Belgium would be to have one (or two). Now both Kriek and Framboise are available to me at home bottled, unlike some other Belgian beers which one can get on tap. I did enjoy draught Kriek on my latest visit to Belgium this spring.

Kriek is in fact made with cherries. A similar beer, Framboise is made with raspberries. They are lambic type beers, fermented by naturally occurring yeasts, and are certainly available year round, not just in the spring.

It is indeed delicious and one of the first things I would do when visiting Belgium would be to have one (or two). Now both Kriek and Framboise are available to me at home bottled, unlike some other Belgian beers which one can get on tap. I did enjoy draught Kriek on my latest visit to Belgium this spring.

Thank you for the education in Kriek! :D So, it's actually a beer and not a wine?

I have no idea what a lambic beer is, but I'll know as soon as I finish typing and ask Google. I do remember out guide telling us that it was a Spring specialty and could be made with several fruits, cherries being the most popular. He also said the only place we would be able to get is Belgium. Of course, it's entirely possible that he was just drumming up interest so that we would buy it, which we did every time we stopped in Belgium! :D

And I'm back from my research....WOW...interestingly, the glass that the waiter gave me in Brussels says "Kriek" and below that "Boon". I had no idea what that meant, but apparently it's the brewery that made it!!! They did mention that other fruits such as raspberries, peaches, plums, strawberries and even bananas can be used to make it. So another thank you.....now I know what I was drinking and I'll smile when I look at my glass!!! You mentioned home bottled....do you make it yourself? This is fascinating....I love learning new stuff!

Edited by Hydrokitty

Lambics are one of my favorite types of beer (in Belgium, Faro is my favorite - not the more fruity options). The past few years, my husband (an avid homebrewer) has brewed me a Birthday Lambic (he started in 2012 for my 40th birthday in 2013) Lambics need to age (in the fermenting keg) for a long time - a year is good! In the old days, they were fermented/aged in barns where the wild yeasts could get in. These days we have to use other means to get the same flavors (well, there are some local craft breweries who do open fermenting with real wild yeast, but it's hard for a homebrewer to do so - we do not) We just bottled the 2015 version - I've had a few glasses so far - it's nice!

We have done a few fruit beers in the ~8 years my husband has been brewing, but since he doesn't like a fruit beer, not so many. That's where I go to local craft breweries to see what they're doing with fruit these days.

... We have been keeping an eye on the weather and see that it is supposed to warm up some next week and so hope this horrible weather pattern is over. ( Packing for the worst however:))

Whatever the season you are travelling on a river cruise, do pack some drugs to help you fight a cold be it a runny nose, sore throat, or a "hard to get rid of" cough. The cold virus is easily picked up from other travellers on the plane, the cruise ship, and sightseeing buses. The ship is well air-conditioned as well so changes in outside/indoor temperatures can make one get too hot then cool off. While there are many pharmacies to buy cold drugs from in Europe, the brands you are used to may not be available and the instructions for use are in a foreign language. Be on the safe side. Have the cold medication at hand's reach should you feel an oncoming cold. Best to attack it before it gets a hold in your body and decreases your enjoyment of the cruise.