Why is Regal Princess Still docking in Nynasham?

SheTripper

Hi,

I am booked on the Regal Princess Baltic Cruise on 25th June and have just seen they have changed our itinerary from Stockholm to Nynasham.

Anyone know why they would have changed just our sailing?

Regards

S

They didn't change just your sailing - they changed our May 12 sailing as well. They may have also changed others. We were told the Regal had a generator problem which meant that it had to travel at a lower speed, and sailing through the archipelago would have taken too much time. They did adjust excursion times as the ship stayed longer in Nynashamn, and provided shuttles buses into Stockholm (at no cost, I think).

Is this something new, that Regal can now dock in Stockholm (barring mechanical or weather issues)? I thought the reason she docked in Nynasham was that she was too large for Stockholm.

Do I have this all wrong? Wouldn't be the first time. :eek::D

Hi,

I am booked on the Regal Princess Baltic Cruise on 25th June and have just seen they have changed our itinerary from Stockholm to Nynasham.

Anyone know why they would have changed just our sailing?

Regards

S

Hi SheTripper, my friend and I from Australia are also booked on your cruise. Did you know (and anyone else that has been on this thread) that a roll call for this cruise has been created and that there are two meet and greets organized? One on 27 June and one on 29th June (to cater for the Berlin passengers - but you can attend both). You need to go onto the roll call and put your name down if interested, so far there are about 34 - 38 Cruise Critic members attending (including us)

Is this something new, that Regal can now dock in Stockholm (barring mechanical or weather issues)? I thought the reason she docked in Nynasham was that she was too large for Stockholm.

Do I have this all wrong? Wouldn't be the first time. :eek::D

The Regal docked in Stockholm at least a couple of times last summer, but the weather conditions had to be good. Unfortunately, not the cruise we were on in September although that wasn't due to weather. They told me on board that captains changed over the summer and the new captain wasn't comfortable trying to sail through the archipelago.

We sailed through the Archipelago to Stockholm aboard Emerald two years ago. It was amazing.

Such as shame if the ship can't make it when you have booked the cruise for the Stockholm stop.

I think one of comments mentioned above is the accurate one and that is it all depends on the weather and confidence on the part of the captain that the sailing into Stockholm can be done safely both in and out.

We are on the Regal in September which isn't always the best weather month, however, if we aren't able to sail directly in to Stockholm we still will be able to see the wonderful area as we board the bus to take us to the Vasa Museum and time on our own in the city.

Hi. Im just off the regal for the may 26 baltic cruise. We were originally set to tender at nynasham however about 4 months ago it changed to stockholm. It was said on board this was due to weather and tides as its quite a long sail through the archipelago. Im not sure about captain confidence through the archipelago as we had a pilot on board both ways for over 5 hours each way. 2 pilots actually. Our time in Stockholm was severely reduced due to going through the archipelago as we had to sail at 3.30. Tendering does give you more time which is great as we felt we did not get enough time there with such an early departure.

Hi. Im just off the regal for the may 26 baltic cruise. We were originally set to tender at nynasham however about 4 months ago it changed to stockholm. It was said on board this was due to weather and tides as its quite a long sail through the archipelago. Im not sure about captain confidence through the archipelago as we had a pilot on board both ways for over 5 hours each way. 2 pilots actually. Our time in Stockholm was severely reduced due to going through the archipelago as we had to sail at 3.30. Tendering does give you more time which is great as we felt we did not get enough time there with such an early departure.

We are really hoping that we don't sail into Stockholm and lose all that valuable port time by sailing through the archipelago.

We docked in Stockholm on June 1st. However the port of Stockholm has just completed a new type of extending/retractable pier at Nynasham and the 2 cruises prior to ours evidently used it so tendering will no longer be necessary when the Regal ties up there.

Some of the Baltic cruises on Regal over this summer were listed as Stockholm and some Nynasham. Ours goes on 28th July and is supposed to be Nynasham. The difference is also the time in port. The Stockholm ones left at 2pm but the ones berthing at Nynasham are supposed to leave at 7pm.

Some of the Baltic cruises on Regal over this summer were listed as Stockholm and some Nynasham. Ours goes on 28th July and is supposed to be Nynasham. The difference is also the time in port. The Stockholm ones left at 2pm but the ones berthing at Nynasham are supposed to leave at 7pm.

It seems that if the ship docks at Stockholm that she needs to leave earlier due to the time it takes to navigate the archipelago. As I mentioned above, it also seems that overall time in Stockholm itself is cut short due to the navigation time in and out of that port. Maybe someone monitoring this thread can confirm or correct my thinking.

We were on the May 23 sailing and we did go to Stockholm. Yes it was a huge bummer that the time ashore was cut short, BUT it was awesome sitting on the balcony going thru the archipelago. It was gorgeous and the weather was amazing.

I was on the May 12 sailing and we ended up docked at Nynasham. As stated the reason given was we were down a generator and lacked sufficient time to make the ail into Stockholm. It was really fascinating watching the new pier retract and fold back against shore when we sailed in the afternoon. Sure beats tendering but it was a pretty long walk to shore. (would have been a really long swim lol)

Everyone has their own priorities. The trip up and down the archipelago was fabulous and DW and I felt it should not be missed. We had taken an upsell to a full suite so we skipped the Vasa Museum for another great leisurely breakfast in Sabatini's[emoji4][emoji4] We then took the Princess shuttle that dropped us off right by the palace. We had all of the time to explore the Gamla Stan with sight seeing, shopping and a snack before we caught one of the last shuttles back to the pier.